Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do we feel about sweet potatoes for fat loss? page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Uselis View Post
    Couple questions I have:

1) How much potatoes or carb grams usually enough after strength trainning session which lasts around 40 min and is basically bodyweight pull ups and dips with short rest time? I imagine it should be way less then regular weight lifting. Just for increasing strength and keeping energy high. I am 187cm and 78kg 25 yo male if that matters.

2) When eating carbs after workout do I have to compose it with lean cuts of meat or it doesn't matter as long as I am eating moderate carbs, not higher then 150g post work out?

Would be very thankfull if someone would help with that.
    1. People greatly overestimate their carb needs/usage during a workout. In 40 minutes at a moderate intensity you are not likely to expend over 30-50g glucose energy. Thats about a potato.
    2. Only matters in regards to your goals and lifestyle. If you are working out frequently (more than 3-4x/week) and you want to quickly replenish your glycogen stores then eat starchy food that day. If you are cutting weight then reduce your fat intake to the degree you are increasing your carbs. If you are not trying to lose weight then don't bother changing how much fat you consume in that meal.

Uselis is online now Senior Member
    Thanks Neckhammer!

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Or if you like them, just eat them. There's also that.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes taste awesome, and they're easy to prepare, and they're decently cheap, so I eat them a lot. If you like them, eat them. They're not going to give you any special fat loss benefits. You're still going to have to create a caloric deficit.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Don't ever consider a meal of eggs and sweet potatoes as a cheat. It is simply food.
    That's my thought--an unprocessed tuber is generally self-regulating and not an illicit thrill. Unless you know from experience that your glucose or appetite goes off the rails afterward, eat up.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I'm assuming the poster meant cheat as in "tastes so good it's like cheating"
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    I started with .5 lb sweet potato with .3 tbsp of butter with my daily 3 eggs and 2 pieces of bacon post workout. I have now bumped up to .7-.85 lb of sweet potato PWO. I also due to not enough calories am eating one with dinner as well. I had roughly 175g of carbs from sweet potatoes yesterday and I killed it today at boot camp. I'm also 6' 160lbs so I have no weight to lose just lean out more and try my best to lose that lower belly flab. ZC and VLC didn't do it for me so now I'm bumping carbs over 75g on most days

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I thought a carb refeed only worked if was only 1-2 times per week and not every day?

You don't have to ask us if the sweet potato is hindering the weight loss. Your body will tell you. If you're still losing fat, the potato is fine. If you hit a plateau, it's not. And I guess it depends on what you mean by a "whole" sweet potato. Those things can grow to the size of footballs!
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    I thought a carb refeed only worked if was only 1-2 times per week and not every day?

You don't have to ask us if the sweet potato is hindering the weight loss. Your body will tell you. If you're still losing fat, the potato is fine. If you hit a plateau, it's not. And I guess it depends on what you mean by a "whole" sweet potato. Those things can grow to the size of footballs!
    Please point me in the direction of said football sized sweet potatoes as I will take a dozen

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
    Please point me in the direction of said football sized sweet potatoes as I will take a dozen
    They taste kinda crummy once they get so big IMO..... Kinda like the baseball bat zucchini ya know?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast