Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bench Press grip for long-term shoulder health? page 4

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    Depends on the guy. Because push ups aren't a test of absolute strength. Besides, the weight is relative. A 135lb gymnast or al kavadlo type could most certainly do more pushups than a 350lb powerlifter type that weighs 300lbs.
    Wait, wait, wait. I said a guy who benches 135, not weighs 135. For example, local poster Mr. A's a 157 lb gymnast and he bench presses around 255 if I remember correctly. Wouldn't be surprised if Al K can do as much or more than that. I bet either of them can do a metric shit-ton of pushups, because they're relatively quite strong.

A powerlifter, on the other hand, who weighs 300 lbs or 350 lbs had certainly better be bench pressing more than 350 lbs.

I was talking about extreme examples intentionally. Of course the relatively strong gymnast will out-pushup the WSM competitor. My point was that for an individual who is weak, it is true that the best way to increase your pushup capability is to get strong.

Even with all things equal, say 2 identical twin 200lb guys, if one guy's routine consists of a 5/3/1 program and has a 400lb max bench, and the other guy does some playground/convict conditioning stuff, I'm guessing that the guy who does several hundred pushups, a few days each week can still do more pushups. Endurance and conditioning do count. Usain bolt may be the fastest man in the world, hut he certainly isn't winning the nyc marathon this fall

I do agree that the op needs to get stronger though. And increasing his bench would increase his pushups. But increasing his pushups in this case, would also increase his bench
    But the comparison between your twins isn't the point. The point is whether it's easier for the one who can bench press 400 lbs to train the endurance to be a pushup champ or easier for the one who's a pushup champ to become strong enough to bench press 400 lbs. In the former case, 4 or 6 or maybe even 8 weeks of training will do the trick. In the latter, it will take years or even decades.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Wait, wait, wait. I said a guy who benches 135, not weighs 135. For example, local poster Mr. A's a 157 lb gymnast and he bench presses around 255 if I remember correctly. Wouldn't be surprised if Al K can do as much or more than that. I bet either of them can do a metric shit-ton of pushups, because they're relatively quite strong.

A powerlifter, on the other hand, who weighs 300 lbs or 350 lbs had certainly better be bench pressing more than 350 lbs.

I was talking about extreme examples intentionally. Of course the relatively strong gymnast will out-pushup the WSM competitor. My point was that for an individual who is weak, it is true that the best way to increase your pushup capability is to get strong.

But the comparison between your twins isn't the point. The point is whether it's easier for the one who can bench press 400 lbs to train the endurance to be a pushup champ or easier for the one who's a pushup champ to become strong enough to bench press 400 lbs. In the former case, 4 or 6 or maybe even 8 weeks of training will do the trick. In the latter, it will take years or even decades.
    My bad. I misread the first part. If we are talking bench press, it has to be thought of in terms of bw %. If the 100lb guy benches 135, pound for pound he is stronger than a 300lb guy who benches 350. But if they are both 200lb guys, then yes, the dude who benches 350 is stronger.

I agree 100% with the second part of what you wrote. A dude who benches 400lbs can more easily become a pushup champ than a pushup champ could bench 400lbs. There is definitely a curve in that line though. I'm sure that a lot of 150lb gymnasts who compete in rings, etc could bench 300lbs easily. They could probably just as easily knock out a couple hundred pushups without batting an eye. Far easier than a dude who benches 300lbs could just jump up and nail an iron cross
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Top powerlifters usually sucks in doing body strength movements compared to top athletes in many other sports! Why? - because they almost never do them! Yeah, now post a video of a powerlifter that is an exception to this general rule and think that you have won the discussion...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

I still think the op could make serious progress by focusing on pushups or bench pressing. At the beginner stage, it doesn't much matter
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I still think the op could make serious progress by focusing on pushups or bench pressing. At the beginner stage, it doesn't much matter
    I think this is the bottom line. To me, as a general rule, if you can't drop down and bang out 20 good pushups relatively easily, you need to do some pushup work, even if you're making good bench progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I think this is the bottom line. To me, as a general rule, if you can't drop down and bang out 20 good pushups relatively easily, you need to do some pushup work, even if you're making good bench progress.
    I would say that 20 is taking it easy. I'm thinking more like 50. If you can't drop and give me 50 good ones, you shouldn't even be thinking about weights yet

John Watson is offline Member
    Try replacing the bench press with dips. Dips are far superior to the push up in my opinion. Just be sure to go slow and use proper form!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Cross your arms in front of your body so that one elbow is directly above the other, that is the contracted position for the chest, the very fact that you have a bar braced between your hands doing bench presses totally prevents your chest from fully contracting.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Cross your arms in front of your body so that one elbow is directly above the other, that is the contracted position for the chest,
    I can't do that; my boobs are too huge from all the benching.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I can't do that; my boobs are too huge from all the benching.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast