Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Cook-ups and Food Preservation page

howardroark is offline Member

Weekly Cook-ups and Food Preservation

Primal Fuel
    I was reading Well Fed, and one of the recommendations is to cook up meats and vegetables ahead of time on Sunday for the week. However, I was wondering how fresh the meat would be by Thursday and Friday. Isn't the general rule ~ 3 days for cooked meat in the refrigerator before it spoiling?

Does anyone do weekly cook-ups? What are your thoughts?

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Only 3 days? I've left cooked meat in the fridge for a week and then eaten it. Unless you keep your fridge temp abnormally high or someone leaves the door open, 4-5 days would be fine. You could also freeze stuff and defrost it a day or two before you want to use it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Seconded on keeping cooked meat for a week ... possibly even 2, but that might be a stretch. Dunno if I've really even had it spoil, per se, it just gets kind of dry after awhile.

I know I found out the hard way that 1.5 weeks is the limit for cooked eggs. Ick. But they'll last a week, easy.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

howardroark is offline Member
    I guess it is actually 3-4 days (the recommendation from the USDA):

"Use cooked beef within 2 hours (1 hour
    if the air temperature is above 90 F) or refrigerate it at 40 F in
    shallow, covered containers. Eat within 3 to 4 days, either cold or
    reheated to 165 F (hot and steaming)."

From: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/con...df?MOD=AJPERES

I guess if 4 days is safe, then cook-ups are valuable. I'm fine with cooking a full recipe on Friday and the rest of the weekend on most weeks.

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    I usually don't go past 4-5 days at most. If I was going to do a lot of meat I would freeze anything that I would not use in about 3 days and just take it out ahead of time.

iconoclast79 is offline Member
    Your nose knows....

Quote Originally Posted by howardroark View Post
    I was reading Well Fed, and one of the recommendations is to cook up meats and vegetables ahead of time on Sunday for the week. However, I was wondering how fresh the meat would be by Thursday and Friday. Isn't the general rule ~ 3 days for cooked meat in the refrigerator before it spoiling?

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    3-4 days is safest. I would freeze anything that would hang around longer. If you're making entire entrees ahead of time, there could be other things in there that would turn bad faster than the meat. While acid foods like tomatoes may help stretch another day or so, other vegis with higher sugar counts could turn the tide quickly in the wrong direction.

Quality food is too expensive to wait around and see if it makes it, and sometimes you can't always smell when something has gone bad. I would also hate to depend on something for dinner and find out that it's past its prime. Why risk, if there's a freezer space available.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    Seconded on keeping cooked meat for a week ... possibly even 2, but that might be a stretch.
    I take back the bolded part, somewhat, I actually have been keeping cooked beef in the fridge for 2 weeks and haven't given it a second thought. I cook a lb. of ground beef on a weekend, remove half of it from the pan, add about 10 eggs and scrample it (my breakfast for the week), then I put the other half of the ground beef in the fridge. A week later, I take the remaining ground beef that's already cooked, reheat it, and repeat the process for another week's worth of breakfast.

Not telling anyone they have to keep cooked meat in the fridge for that long if they aren't comfortable with it, just sharing my experience. I agree with the person who said to trust your nose--when meat goes bad, it's kind of hard to miss.
    Last edited by Cyborcat; 09-12-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howardroark View Post

I throw everything out after 7 days, but I usually think its best if you eat it by Thursday or Friday.

Cooking on Sunday is the best though. You just need to cook things that make good leftovers.

greenporter is offline Junior Member
    Meats -- I have been researching making my own grass-fed beef jerky, which will keep plenty long, even out of the fridge. There is a recipe here How to Make Your Own Jerky | Mark's Daily Apple

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast