Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weekly Cook-ups and Food Preservation page 2

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by iconoclast79 View Post
    Your nose knows....
    Yep. I still go by the sniff test. I can smell an off-putting protein from a mile away. Also, cooking ahead can mean putting those foods in the freezer rather than the fridge.

In the beginning, eating in a Primal manner will require planning. Once you're in the groove, you'll be doing it as easily as you once did SAD.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

howardroark is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    In the beginning, eating in a Primal manner will require planning. Once you're in the groove, you'll be doing it as easily as you once did SAD.
    I hear you. I've been at this for a few months now, and to date I've mostly cooked every night (except leftover nights). In the beginning, I went a little crazy with trying out a bunch of recipes, but sometimes simple is great. In pursuing simple, I re-read the Well Fed cook-up section, which led me to the original post. I think I'll try it out!

Moll is offline Member
    Another option (something I plan to start on ASAP as I'm quite pregnant and don't forsee an intense desire to cook for awhile after giving birth) is to prepare your meats/veggies/recipes - don't cook them, just chop up (or don't) and season, and store them in the freezer in big gallon bags or whatever you'd prefer to use. Then you can grab a bag 'o meal the night before you want to use it and stick it in the fridge to defrost, and put it in a crock pot the next day if you've got one, or throw it in a pot on the stove for an hour. (Add water or stock and you've got soup instead of stir-fry.) Boom, dinner! You could theoretically cut up and use the same kind of meat/vegetables on Sunday that you end up using for all your meals and have completely different flavor profiles depending on how you season.

oxide is online now Senior Member
    I just make my own version of Lean Cuisine. I cook about four meals (meat, tomato sauce, 2 veg), pack them into Ziplock compartment plastic lunch containers, and freeze them. If your office has a microwave, then you just heat them for 5:50 and it's lunch.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do weekly batch cooking. If I know something is not going to be used until later in the week I usually freeze it. I break foods down into smaller batches (like chili or tomato sauce) and throw in the freezer. Foods like chicken legs, hamburgers, etc I keep in the freezer and just defrost as needed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12