Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible reason Paleo/Primal can be good OR bad for acne: mTORC1 page

kattywampus is offline Junior Member

Possible reason Paleo/Primal can be good OR bad for acne: mTORC1

Shop Now
    I was talking to a doctor friend, explaining how eating lower carb and lower calorie seemed to be helping my acne, and when he said that past research didn't back that up, I went searching for evidence. On my search I found this fascinating article from Dermato-endocrinology (German journal) that seems to explain why eating lower carb helps some people with acne; why milk and dairy harm some people; and why eating too much protein harms others. Really, it was saying that the Western diet throws all these factors together to mess people up, and gives a pathway to explain it. I'm not pretending to have understood even 1/3 of it, but figured some people on this forum might understand it, and might find it of use.

The entire article is free, here:

Dietary intervention in acne
    Dietary intervention in acne
    Attenuation of increased mTORC1 signaling promoted by Western diet

From the abstract:
    "Epidemic acne has to be recognized as an mTORC1-driven disease of civilization like obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancer and neurodegenerative diseases. These new insights into Western diet-mediated mTORC1-hyperactivity provide a rational basis for dietary intervention in acne by attenuating mTORC1 signaling by reducing (1) total energy intake, (2) hyperglycemic carbohydrates, (3) insulinotropic dairy proteins and (4) leucine-rich meat and dairy proteins. The necessary dietary changes are opposed to the evolution of industrialized food and fast food distribution of Westernized countries. An attenuation of mTORC1 signaling is only possible by increasing the consumption of vegetables and fruit, the major components of vegan or Paleolithic diets."

Among the remarks in the conclusion:
    "Paleolithic diet regimens come close to the goal of attenuated mTORC1 signaling but have to consider that unlimited total protein intake may overstimulate leucine-mediated mTORC1 activation."

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to re-eject most cheese from my diet. Oh well. I'd rather have a clear complexion than a slice of cheese.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    dairy really does it for me, too. I love it, but my god the acne is terrible, and not just my face.

Yes, my big clue was when I had a massive zit appear after a day of eating ice cream and cheddar. Same thing happened after a day in which I'd eaten a bunch of cookies. It sounds like it might be a threshold type of thing, where you can get away with a little of many things (high glycemic carbs, dairy, meat), but too much is too much.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Thank you so much for posting this link, kattywampus! My 15 yo DD decided to go "low carb" this summer, which basically meant replacing the grainy junk in her diet with fruits and veggies. It didn't have the dramatic weightloss effect she was hoping for, but her skin cleared up almost completely. The best part is that she didn't need to give the bad stuff up completely. She can still indulge now and then with friends. She just needed to remove it from her daily diet. This literature review does an excellent job of explaining why.

Just as interesting, IMO, is the connection to all of the insulin-related Western maladies. I'm going to need to reread it a couple of times, I think, to absorb all the details.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Jittery jay is offline Junior Member
    I have had acne since age 13 or so and have been medicated since 2000 after which 2 humungous zits appeared on my forehead for my wedding day!

Since going primal almost 4 weeks ago, I stopped the medication and my skin has never looked (or more importantly) felt better.

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    Ive had moderate acne with and without paleo. So the diet hasnt proved or disproved it for me.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

LauraSB -- I had to re-read it a dozen times myself, to understand even half of it.

DeltaCypher0 -- The interesting thing to me was that too much protein (as one might get eating Paleo) could cause acne, but if one was eating a high-carb, non-Paleo diet, one could get acne too, through a different pathway that also set off this mTORC1. Or one could be eaten a vegetarian diet loaded with dairy, and get the same bad result.

That said, I doubt that this is an explanation for all acne; just an explanation for some of us. For me at least, it tells me to keep an eye on all those major factors -- carbs, protein, dairy, even calories -- instead of trying to focus on just one factor as a way to keep my skin clear.

Ok, so I noticed that one of the figures shown (leucine content of food) didn't seem consistent with the author's statements in the text. But it was one of those bad stuff per 100g comparisons that sort of ignores what a normal "dose" of that particular food would be. I'm sorry, I'm having a terrible time with that article on my iPad or I'd copy that figure here.

Anyway, it made me curious and I searched leucine and insulin resistance to see what other literature was out there. One of the top hits was this article Potential Importance of Leucine in Treatment of Obesity and the Metabolic Syndrome which seems to completely contradict the leucine part of the acne article, as far as the impact on insulin levels, at least. So now I'm suspicious of the whole acne analysis, lol. I mean, I buy the whole carbs and insulin bit, but the protein part seems a lot more complicated.

I'm actually curious enough to post a separate thread about leucine and metabolic syndrome, because I'd love someone more knowledgable than me to comment.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    My daughter had terrible acne, going just gluten free fixed it totally. She is watchful of too much dairy though too. Dairy gives me KP.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    My daughter had terrible acne, going just gluten free fixed it totally. She is watchful of too much dairy though too. Dairy gives me KP.
    My daughter blames gluten too. She's not even obsessively GF and still has a huge improvement. She has 8oz organic skim milk daily (very attached to skim, lol) and occasional Greek yogurt. The article explains the link between insulinogenic foods and KP. I'm hoping to get her to give up the skim milk eventually.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast