Thread: Question for Paleo parents of paleo babies. page

Warmbear is offline Senior Member

Question for Paleo parents of paleo babies.

Primal Fuel
    Heya

So I have an 8 month old wee girl child and she is a wonder to behold. I am raising her paleo, no grains no sugar no soy, breast milk and now solid food. She eats a chewed up version of what we eat and so far nothing has been turned down and she loves to eat. We hear about it if we are eating and she does not get a share. I am feeding her liver and onions and sweet potato hash as I type. (gods what a mess.)

She is under the 30th % for weight and the doc was concerned though she is almost walking and babbles constantly. I wonder if being paleo just keeps her thin or is she just thin naturally? Hard to say as her mom and I are both big folks from families of big folks.

I have seen a crap load of chubby kids in the same age bracket and wonder whats going on.

What have you been seeing with your kids?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Hard to tell yet; my baby is only eight weeks old and was born two weeks before her due date. She's small for weight (25th centile) but then her dad is tall and slender (more slender now he's primal!).

But she was holding her head up (albeit only for a couple of seconds) from birth and can wriggle with purpose: if she's given a leg up she can crawl from my belly to my shoulder, and then flip herself into the crook of my arm into a feeding position! She smiled to herself from day two and is now giving proper social smiles to us.

The growth charts we're using here (I don't know if yours are the same) are apparently based on healthy breastfed babies from several countries, so the local diet should get at least a little cancelled out. Nevertheless, it's possible that they're overestimating the desired weight of babies by using a sample size which is in reality skewed towards higher weights.

t's also worth bearing in mind that more active babies will be naturally slimmer, for obvious reasons! As long as she seems healthy in herself and is meeting developmental milestones, don't let the doctor's worries concern you.

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    Not much I can contribute, since I'm only 19 and have no kids. But good for you for starting your child off right. They will surely thank you in the long run!

tleela is offline Junior Member
    Hi, I have a 6 month old boy who is off the charts in his weight gain. He's not fat, he's just grown quickly. We've only just started giving him solids, and not regularly. Both me and my fiance were big babies, but we're tall, slim adults.
    I think there is a genetic component to baby development that isn't necessarily reflected in the adult's body type. Doctors need to find something to worry about, or else they wouldn't have a job! If your daughter is healthy otherwise, don't stress out over her weight.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    What a delight your little one is, Warmbear.

As long as she is healthy, active and growING then she is surely fine, especially if weight and height are at similar percentile level. She would only be thin if she is light for her height (or length, whatever ). As someone else said, active babies will naturally be less chubby also.

In any case 30th percentile is absolutely nothing to worry about, not everyone can or should be average, we are all on a sliding scale. Even when my dd was on the 3rd percentile (not 30th), the paediatrician only said "someone has to be at 3%". She was monitored just to ensure that all was well, but it absolutely was.

So, relax and enjoy your darling daughter

ETA: I just remembered, the growth rate of all my children tapered off when they weaned and started crawling/walking all at once. But as long as it doesn't stop completely or they actually lose weight then this is not a problem. In fact, it's natural. They simply can't go on doubling their weight every few weeks, that would be ridiculous.
    Last edited by Annieh; 09-17-2013 at 02:53 AM.

abraka8 is offline Member
    My now 3 1/2 year old daughter was born average and then dropped to the bottom of the weight chart and stayed there for a while. She was exclusively breast fed for 6 months, and after that we did very much like what you are doing- initially her solids were mostly avocado and banana for the calories and fat. She has grown to be an amazing eater (loves octopus and sardines), as I am sure yours will be! Good work!
    I am just piping in because we had medical personnel tell us everything from "you need to give her pediasure as a supplement" to "you need to give her cow's milk starting at one year because she needs the fat." Really? How about the fat from the breast milk she was still getting? She nursed until she was 2. They had no idea what to say there!
    So, the growth charts still relied on in some offices are based on the height and weight of American children that were mostly formula fed (and then cereal fed!). Check out The World Health Organization growth charts, as they include data from nations where babies are commonly breast fed and are more accurate. My daughter was average on these. Now, at 3 1/2 those good food habits have helped her grow into an amazingly healthy, bright, and adaptable young girl. She has never been the standard baby chubby, but she is tall, strong, and lean, and can do a moderate hike right alongside us without asking to be carried.
    Keep up the good work, and don't worry too much. If your baby doesn't look just like the average American child, you're likely doing something right!!!

abraka8 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Annie's, that is funny about the third percentile. My husband and I used to say "if every child were at the 99th percentile, it'd be the first percentile!"