Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apprehensive page

krambo is offline Junior Member

apprehensive

Ive recently signed up for the diet/menu program as well as the 21 day program and the amount of fat in the recipes scares me a bit. I am 52 5'11" 210 lbs and need to loose weight, have had success before staying under 60 grams fat a day and just am scared this will worsen my situation, Also high ldl, pre diabetic/borderline,
    high blood pressure and I want to go all out on this primal but have done that with other things over the years like atkins or others just to gain???????

I want to dedicate to this if it works please, need some response support from others besides a web site.

D

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    D--
    fellow fat skeptic here...! My problem was compounded by the fact that decades of not eating a lot of fat means my body doesn't "like" it (even if I do!). I just went slowly--picking really good fats (coconut oil), finding the ones that don't tend to agree with me (like butter, damn), and just upping it a little at a time. Same with calories in general--i've had to add slowly to make my mind BELIEVE that i was eating too little. It made sense, but that doesn't matter to that reptile in my brain...
    That way, your body can adjust as well as your mental state. I still don't eat as much fat as many here--i have to work hard to eat about 80 g of fat/day. I'm 58, F, 5'7", 17% bf. It does work.

I am also 52, and I have lost 40 pounds since I started doing Primal about a year ago. I've never measured, but I would guess that well over 50% of my calories come from fat. My high blood pressure and pre-diabetes have improved greatly. I don't give my doctor a lot of details about my diet because I don't want him to start giving me advice about what to eat. Following nutritional advice from doctors is what got me obese and pre-diabetic in the first place. If he knew how much fat I eat he would probably have a fit. But he is impressed with the results and says, "Whatever it is you're doing, just keep doing it."

I never had any success losing weight on Atkins or other diets either. This is the only lifestyle I have tried that I feel has improved my health rather than made it worse.

I hope that helps you.
    Last edited by CaliforniaPoppy; 09-12-2013 at 02:48 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    There is a difference between not being afraid of fat, and adding fat to everything. If you search for "sample low carb menu" at this site, you'll find that Mark, in that sample, gets about 55% of his calories from fat. This is a normal amount of fat if you're eating meat and fish without dousing your food in added fat.

I lost a ton of weight doing low fat - actually low calorie, but it inadvertently was low fat. I looked good, but my skin looked old and my hair started breaking off at the ends.

Avoid fat if you will, but the result will be nasty skin and hair, and in later life, perhaps an atrophied brain.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I was a bit nervous too. But fat seems to really suit me. I did low fat Weight Watchers etc etc. and had to pretty much eat nothing to lose weight, felt hungry and miserable. This just works for me, I feel I can eat a lot, with added fat, never hungry and either lose or maintain. Hope it will work for you too.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    My suggestion is to forget about your macros and just eat Paleo for the first 3 or 4 months then go Primal. I'm 61 and in good shape, lost 48 lbs - started at 213 and dropped to 165 before focusing on body building and now hold steady in the 175 to 180 lb. range. If you eat a strict Paleo diet you will drop weight quickly and your body will adapt to using fat as it's primary fuel source. During this period you will be consuming a high fat, moderate to high protein and low carb diet. After 4 months switch to Mark's Primal approach, you will enjoy the increased variety of foods.

You can review my Paleo Journey from the beginning on my Facebook page for more insight into my experience. Just scroll down the timeline to the beginning and you will get a good idea of what to expect...Go all in you won't regret it.

http://www.facebook.com/PaleoJourney...ngThePaleoDiet
    Last edited by canuck416; 09-12-2013 at 04:31 PM.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Listen to Canuck416. He has walked the walk.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

greenporter is offline Junior Member
    krambo, we have similar profiles. I am not really a great reference for you because I am still struggling with losing weight but I started this in June with an Atkins approach when, a week into it, I was discussing it with a friend (55 y.o.). I had not seen her in a few months but there she was in her bathing suit and she looked great -- toned, remarkably improved complexion, glowing. So she told me a shocking story:

Her doctor told her that her bad cholesterol levels were so high that he thought she already had advanced atherosclerosis and that she "needed" to go on statins immediately. She went into a deep dive research and decided to go her own way with a low carb/high fat regime. Three months later, she tested better than normal, astounding her doctor.

This blew me away, it is so counter intuitive and apposite the USDA/Pharma party line. So I did my own research and eventually "converted". While I am still making adjustments to the regime to get the weight loss I want and need, I did manage to get my blood pressure down into less elevated levels and my cholesterol, which is tested quarterly, remains in good shape.

By the way, it has really helped that my wife has come along with me for herself. She has different goals and our menus vary somewhat but we adhere to the same general principals.

I recommend you do what you are comfortable with but inform yourself. There is a ton of reading you can do. Much of it is contradictory but I can tell you that I have been swayed by the following:

Eat good fat; I treat bad fats as I would arsenic.
    Eat good proteins, like grass fed meat and wild fish; limit conventional meat and farmed fish.
    Eat good carbs, like veggies moderate levels of whole fruit; eliminate gluten and grains.
    Eliminate processed foods from my diet.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You should spend some time reading old articles about fat on the blog. This diet is a way of eating that is science and anthropology-based. You may be interested in reading some of the works of Dr. Lustig from UCSF. I hear his latest book "Fat Chance" is really good.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by greenporter View Post
    krambo, we have similar profiles. I am not really a great reference for you because I am still struggling with losing weight but I started this in June with an Atkins approach when, a week into it, I was discussing it with a friend (55 y.o.). I had not seen her in a few months but there she was in her bathing suit and she looked great -- toned, remarkably improved complexion, glowing. So she told me a shocking story:

Her doctor told her that her bad cholesterol levels were so high that he thought she already had advanced atherosclerosis and that she "needed" to go on statins immediately. She went into a deep dive research and decided to go her own way with a low carb/high fat regime. Three months later, she tested better than normal, astounding her doctor.

This blew me away, it is so counter intuitive and apposite the USDA/Pharma party line. So I did my own research and eventually "converted". While I am still making adjustments to the regime to get the weight loss I want and need, I did manage to get my blood pressure down into less elevated levels and my cholesterol, which is tested quarterly, remains in good shape.

By the way, it has really helped that my wife has come along with me for herself. She has different goals and our menus vary somewhat but we adhere to the same general principals.

I recommend you do what you are comfortable with but inform yourself. There is a ton of reading you can do. Much of it is contradictory but I can tell you that I have been swayed by the following:

Eat good fat; I treat bad fats as I would arsenic.
    Eat good proteins, like grass fed meat and wild fish; limit conventional meat and farmed fish.
    Eat good carbs, like veggies moderate levels of whole fruit; eliminate gluten and grains.
    Eliminate processed foods from my diet.
    Greenporter this is a great story and I love your summary at the end - basically, eat good food! Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast