Thread: Grok squat = yoga Garland/Malasana? page

Sonoran hotdog is online now Senior Member

Grok squat = yoga Garland/Malasana?

Primal Fuel
    I am new here, so apologies if this has been discussed before, but when I did a search I didn't turn up anything.

When I first read about Mark's Grok Squat I thought "that looks pretty darn similar to the yoga squat I've been doing for years":

Malasana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unlike the Grok Squat I do the full linking of my hands behind the ankles - seems like a small detail, but it really does cause my back to stretch out more deeply.

I don't see much of any difference at all between the Grok and the Malasana, do you? Not really a shocker - from what little I've read, Mark has not really claimed that he's come up with much any single new ideas, its just that he's just assembled them into a cohesive system where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

I've been using this squat since about the time that I converted to minimalist running shoes (VFF's). I was looking for something to stretch my calves and achilles. Serendipitously, when I started weight training again at the beginning of the year, this squat turned out to be spot on as a warmup for weighted back squats. Rippetoe recommends starting with almost the identical squat, though maybe not quite as deep (not quite "ass to grass").

Just an observation...

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Seems to be about the same, yeah.
    Do you have a picture of your hands behind ankles thing? I'm not sure I entirely understand, and I am always looking for good ways to stretch my back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghshl View Post
    Seems to be about the same, yeah.
    Do you have a picture of your hands behind ankles thing? I'm not sure I entirely understand, and I am always looking for good ways to stretch my back.
    http://www.yogajournal.com/basics/2331

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    Thanks! I think that one is beyond me at this time

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
    Kill it with fire!!!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonoran hotdog View Post
    When I first read about Mark's Grok Squat I thought "that looks pretty darn similar to the yoga squat I've been doing for years":

Malasana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Unlike the Grok Squat I do the full linking of my hands behind the ankles - seems like a small detail, but it really does cause my back to stretch out more deeply.
    Thanks for posting this. I have only every seen a regular yoga squat. I agree it seems very similar to a Grok squat.

I've been doing Hindu squats randomly as often as I think of it, but they are more a strength exercise than a stretching one. The Malasana with the hands behind the ankles is a nice step beyond a standard yoga squat.

Can you put your forehead to the floor? That's a very impressive position. I'm a long way from that. Also do you keep your toes together or just your heels. Toes together, knees out really gets my knees more than my hips, and not in a good way. Toes apart, and upper arms inside the knees with hands then wrapped around to the outside of the ankle is an amazing inner hip stretch, but I don't think that's what's being illustrated in the link.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    Can you put your forehead to the floor? That's a very impressive position. I'm a long way from that. Also do you keep your toes together or just your heels. Toes together, knees out really gets my knees more than my hips, and not in a good way. Toes apart, and upper arms inside the knees with hands then wrapped around to the outside of the ankle is an amazing inner hip stretch, but I don't think that's what's being illustrated in the link.
    Agreed with all you said. I do it with toes apart as you do. My head does NOT touch the floor. I don't have a picture of myself in this position for obvious reasons, so I simply posted the closest thing I could find on the web.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's basically the same.

I have found in teaching and practicing this posture that most people -- including the person pictured in the wiki article -- follow their postural pattern (negative, generally) right into it. For example, int he picture on the wiki page, you'll notice that her weight is toward her left (left heel actually), and that the right leg is turned out more, creating very different actions in the muscles and across the joints.

But that's getting a bit complex, I guess. It would be much harder for her to keep her feet in the same alignment, then draw her weight evenly across both feet (and forward more toward the arches), and then better utilize her hamstrings, thighs, and glutes to hold the posture.

Traditionally, the garland version of the posture is with feet together (as per iyengar), forehead on the floor and hands clasped behind you -- typically behind your back/buttocks.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yep, nothing really new about it, Mark reinvented the wheel and gave it a new name! It’s a good thing though so keep on doing it…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

moluv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Yes, it's basically the same.

I have found in teaching and practicing this posture that most people -- including the person pictured in the wiki article -- follow their postural pattern (negative, generally) right into it. For example, int he picture on the wiki page, you'll notice that her weight is toward her left (left heel actually), and that the right leg is turned out more, creating very different actions in the muscles and across the joints.

But that's getting a bit complex, I guess. It would be much harder for her to keep her feet in the same alignment, then draw her weight evenly across both feet (and forward more toward the arches), and then better utilize her hamstrings, thighs, and glutes to hold the posture.

Traditionally, the garland version of the posture is with feet together (as per iyengar), forehead on the floor and hands clasped behind you -- typically behind your back/buttocks.
    Will you follow me on Instagram (moluvandheart) and critique my yoga poses?