Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting CrossFit....advice!?!?!?! page

little12 is offline Member

Starting CrossFit....advice!?!?!?!

Shop Now
    I start CrossFit tuesday with the on-ramp or fundamentals classes. I'll be going twice a week, maybe 3, but that's the plan. I'm a mixture of excited and terrified. I did this because I wanted to find something that I could get in, get out, and be done...and in that time, would get max benefit. I also am sick of this chronic mind set of going to a gym or doing some sort of activity in which I need a sports bra 6 days a week. It's not sustainable...at least not for me.

I'm also getting married in 3 months

I have already lost some with food choices (love it!) but am now looking to lose a little more maybe, but mostly tone up-look good naked. I have never had good arms...and I CRAVE them!!!

To the point: Please share your tales!!

---Advice for a newbie??

---What was your experience starting out??

---Tips, tricks, etc?? (sounds silly, but i'm not sure what to even wear to be best prepared!)

---What do you need to do before and after in terms of food?? I don't want to throw up, but I want to make sure i'm fueling my body for the workout as well as giving it what it needs after. This area has always really confused me!

Thanks!!!!!!

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Search the forums. We've gone through this before. Thread will devolve into "why not to CrossFit," then arguments about what actually constitutes CrossFit...

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    My info is all second hand/internet, trying some things at home.

There's a big movement even within xfit to do basic, progressive strength work to get better at xfit WODs
    I would try to push for that direction.

Good form first!! They're usually good about that. Don't break form for better times which they're often not so good at.

make sure you get WOD's scaled for you. ie don't let what should be a metcon turn into a bad strength workout because the weights are too heavy.

Check out the xfit forum. It's very informative and supportive as long as you're positive about xfit

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Don't want this to turn into the typical Cross-fit bashing thread so I'll just leave this link for you to read through and you can make your own mind up.

CrossFit | High Intensity Training by Drew Baye

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    double post ?

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    Watch your form... Do let your instructor push you into a situation that can cause you to hurt yourself

little12 is offline Member
    I did do a search of the forums before I posted this...6 pages of threads where most of the titles were just "crossfit". I don't have time to read through all those! haha. I did look through a dozen or so though, but didn't really find stuff for "what to expect". More questions of "should I". I'm doing it. Decision made.

I plan on taking it slow and really trying to work on form. I am competitive, so I know I'll have to work on just competing with myself.

I know some crossfitters will probably think this is lame, but I'm very wary of hurting myself. I don't really want caluses all over my palms either!! Or have bloody hands. I kind of USE my hands for my job! Call me crazy. My legs bruise like peaches...so at least it will be fall soon and I won't have to show them as much! lol. Hopefully no box jump injuries! More major concerns though is that I don't want to hurt myself in a real way. Hence the plan on trying to take this slow and pay attention to how i'm doing things.

I guess i'm looking for thoughts other than "go for it". I'm already going for it. I want to know what types of things I can do to maximize the benefits and make the experience even better!!

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paint94979 View Post
    Watch your form... Do let your instructor push you into a situation that can cause you to hurt yourself
    lol, I hope there's something unintended here.

maclrc is offline Senior Member
    I didn't do the fundamentals classes when I started earlier this year because I was already familiar with virtually all the lifts; I just did a couple of 1-on-1 classes as a sort of ability test and then started WODs straight away. That said, the fundamentals classes are an ideal way to start for several reasons:

1) You should learn proper form for all the key movements in a pressure free environment
    2) You will meet at least one of the box's coaches
    3) You will meet a group of people in a similar position to yourself
    4) You can get a feel as to whether crossfit is something you might enjoy

Any stories you may have heard about crossfit boxes being unwelcoming and elitist are probably not true. To look at it in a very cold way, each affiliate is a business; it is obviously in their interest to be welcoming and to keep you coming. Another way to view it is that crossfit is largely about exercising in a group. The people that choose to get involved both as coaches and "athletes" simply tend to be those that enjoy working out with others and that includes helping each other out, especially newcomers.

Clothing-wise: wear what you are comfortable in. That said, overly baggy clothing can impede certain lifts, etc. Most girls (I assume you are female, sorry if you aren't bro ) at my box wear leggings or shorts and a vest or t-shirt.

During the day before your class just make sure you have had enough to eat to fuel yourself, maybe some carbs a couple of hours before, but don't overthink it too much. Eating after the workout is more important

Most important thing is to just give it a go, don't be embarrassed to try new things, even if they appear a bit awkward at first. Trust me, even some of the big sporty guys have the potential to make fools of themselves (attempting handstand walks for example), just go with it.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Don't let your own competitive nature, or the other Crossfitters, "guilt" you into lifting heavier/going harder than you should. Whenever I'm faced with a decision of "should I use the RX weight?" I also remind myself that I want to be able to walk/lift my arms tomorrow! I have nothing to prove to anyone, so I do what I feel is the best/hardest/heaviest for me, and I am happy.

Hands: I use sandpaper on my calluses. I use it often, to prevent them from building up. I find that if I keep my calluses sandpapered down, I don't rip my skin.

Food: I eat a normal (primal) lunch and do the WOD about 3-4 hours later, and never have any stomach issues. The ONLY time I've heard of anyone at my box get close to barfing is someone who has acid reflux and pushed on through burpees. She didn't actually throw up, but afterward she said she got close (and unfortunately believes that CW nutrition is best for her).

Keep your sense of humor and have fun!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast