Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting CrossFit....advice!?!?!?! page 4

Oxidd1979 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    Nothing to be scared of? Be afraid of box-jump accidents. Be very afraid.
    Thats why taking your time is the best way.

Any sports has risks of injuries, even golf and tennis. Whatever sports you practice, do it safely.
    Max ever : 240lbs (early 2011)
    SW : 224lbs (2013-08-12)
    CW : 216lbs (2013-08-19)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxidd1979 View Post
    Any sports has risks of injuries, even golf and tennis. Whatever sports you practice, do it safely.
    Most sports don't glorify injuries, don't have a mascot for rhabdomyolysis. I compete in MMA and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I think CrossFit is nuts.

diene is offline Senior Member
    With high rep Oly lifts, you just have to scale the weight so you don't get injured. And CrossFit doesn't glorify injuries. That's a misconception.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    With high rep Oly lifts, you just have to scale the weight so you don't get injured. And CrossFit doesn't glorify injuries. That's a misconception.
    Here's an article on the problems with olympic programming, both safety-wise and programming-wise:
    T NATION | Fallacy of High Rep Olympic Lifting

And

The World of CrossFit | Men's Health

Quote Originally Posted by the article
    But CrossFit's embrace of its worst qualities goes even further. One of its unofficial cartoon mascots is "Uncle Rhabdo," depicted as a beat-up clown connected to a dialysis machine, with what appears to be a kidney, his large intestine, and a copious amount of blood spilling out of his shorts and onto the floor around him. The other, Pukie the Clown, is shown crawling away from a loaded barbell and gymnastic rings, clutching his chest and projectile vomiting. The Phillie Phanatic they ain't.
    Doesn't sound like a misconception to me

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    I was hoping the OP would see sense without going into specifics but as this thread appears to be ongoing let me say .....DON"T DO CROSS_FIT !

It's a fad and it can cause injuries !

If you are a real athlete or work in a physically demanding profession you should avoid CrossFit to minimize the risk of injuries which can interfere with or prevent you from practicing and competing in your sport or performing your job. If you want to become more coordinated, agile, etc. in the movements of your sport or profession then devote time to learning and practicing those specific skills instead.

Total Conditioning; Faster, Safer and More Efficiently

Strict chin ups on a modified Nautilus Omni Multi ExerciseIf your goal is to maximize your functional ability you can do so more quickly, safely and efficiently with a proper high intensity training program following a few basic guidelines:
    •Perform one set of one or two exercises for all major muscle groups (favoring compound/multi-joint movements), using a weight which allows for the performance of at least one but not more than three minutes of continuous, slow, strict repetitions.
    •Perform each exercise to the point of momentary muscular failure, then continue to contract the target muscles isometrically for five to ten seconds.
    •Perform exercises in order of largest to smallest muscle groups worked.
    •Move from one exercise to the next as quickly as possible; allow no rest in between.
    •Perform no more than three workouts per week on non-consecutive days. Many people get better results training less, depending on individual recovery ability.
    •Maximize recovery and adaptation by getting adequate sleep each night, minimizing stress, and eating well (lots of beef, fish, eggs, vegetables, fruit, and nuts, eliminate or strictly limit grains, legumes, vegetable oils and foods which are highly processed or contain lots of added sugar).
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 09-14-2013 at 12:44 PM.

tact is offline Junior Member

Starting CrossFit....advice!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Here's an article on the problems with olympic programming, both safety-wise and programming-wise:
    T NATION | Fallacy of High Rep Olympic Lifting

And

The World of CrossFit | Men's Health

Doesn't sound like a misconception to me
    Any article or study can come to any conclusion that its intended to end with to push an agenda. They all do.... I laugh every time someone bags on crossfit related training and refer to an article, and then in the next breath say "if you are a real athlete don't do crossfit"..... Like Froning is not an athlete or countless other athletes that train utilizing some form of the programming. I would concede that there are some as with any sport or discipline that give it a bad rap.

Funny thing you referenced a TNation article since I remember them abdicating a Tabata style lifting workout some time ago.....

I think it simply boils down to that we all find what we like, what works best for us as individual so that we get the desired results and are ultimately happy....just be smart about it no matter what road one takes.
    Last edited by tact; 09-14-2013 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tact View Post
    Any article or study can come to any conclusion that its intended to end with to push an agenda. They all do.... I laugh every time someone bags on crossfit related training and refer to an article, and then in the next breath say "if you are a real athlete don't do crossfit"..... Like Froning is not an athlete or countless other athletes that train utilizing some form of the programming. I would concede that there are some as with any sport or discipline that give it a bad rap.
    And, as I predicted, now we have to argue about what actually constituted CrossFit. Tell me how Rich Froning trains again?

Funny thing you referenced a TNation article since I remember them abdicating a Tabata style lifting workout some time ago.....
    T-Nation doesn't write articles, they sell supplements. I referenced a Mark Rippetoe article that was published on T-Nation. T-Nation publishes articles from a wide array of authors with very varied viewpoints. Sorry, you point is what? And do you mean "advocating?"

I think it simply boils down to that we all find what we like, what works best for us as individual so that we get the desired results and are ultimately happy....just be smart about it no matter what road one takes.
    And what are the results one gets from CrossFit that couldn't be gotten more effectively through other means of training?

tact is offline Junior Member

Ok well.... I wasn't really trying to make this a debate of what is better.... more to quell the bashing that is based solely on outside opinions or actions of a few morons. I think I was trying to point out that there is not one specific right way for all of us....a little neutrality. However, you appear to be an expert in all things that relate to fitness so I guess we are all lucky to have you. Carry on.....

To the OP, good luck with whatever road to fitness you travel down and I apologize for the thread derail.
    Last edited by tact; 09-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member

Looky there, it only took a couple of days for this thread to dissolve into the same old Crossfit-bashing by the same old bashers! Next time I think I'll put money on it. You guys are as reliable as a Swiss watch.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Most sports don't glorify injuries, don't have a mascot for rhabdomyolysis. I compete in MMA and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and I think CrossFit is nuts.
    I think the only people that think getting injured is "cool" at Crossfit are the equivalent of guys doing 6,758 bicep curls in the squat rack and using steroids at your local gym. IE, they are idiots. No one at my box is trying to get hurt or wanting to puke. Most people are pretty smart about their limits. Our coaches always offer and encourage modifications.

I think you have a better chance of getting hurt lifting heavy weights on your own, hell even jogging on your own, then you do going into a Crossfit program and working with some common sense. Is it hard? Yes.

Also, I would say for me, it's been very effective at reshaping my body and making me stronger. I've seen very big changes that other programs have not provided. Granted, I have never just done heavy lifting.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast