Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting CrossFit....advice!?!?!?! page 2

little12 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yes, I will have to combat competing with others. I was pretty good at rationalizing through that in the intro class though. The 2 guys I was with took off like bats out of hell for the run we did at the beginning of our set...I took it slower and was able to power through some things a little better. I ended up finishing roughly in the middle and i'm good with that. I'm used to be the middle person...never the best and not the worst. I might be the worst for awhile though with this!!!!

GOOD advice on hands!!!!! Do people ever use tape?? I've heard gloves get poo poo'd on...

Do you do knee socks? or just deal with the scrapes?

I know just after my free into class, my knees were bruised and sore!!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Calluses on your hand are unavoidable. So are bruises on your legs. I bruise easily too, but I don't care if I have bruises.

Just wear whatever you normally wear to work out. Lots of girls just wear a tank top or t-shirt and shorts.

I don't eat beforehand or after. When I first started, I used to drink a protein shake after crossfit, but I stopped doing that in favor of IF. It doesn't bother me, but everyone's different.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I did do a search of the forums before I posted this...6 pages of threads where most of the titles were just "crossfit". I don't have time to read through all those! haha. I did look through a dozen or so though, but didn't really find stuff for "what to expect". More questions of "should I". I'm doing it. Decision made.
    We literally just had this exact thread a matter of months ago. You probably just didn't know what to search for, that's cool. I've collected some the "What to Expect/Tips/Tricks/etc" Crossfit threads from over the years (there have been many identical threads).

This is the one I was talking about:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76710.html

These are all similar too:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread12771.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread92798.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82151.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29760.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88366.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread89275.html

Thanks!!! Those are very helpful!!

I have to admit, I'm worried about some "vain" things :/ Now that I've finally started to lose weight and NOTICE stuff fitting alot looser, I'm kind of scared about certain things getting bigger even if it is muscle. Thighs and butt are the perfect example! I'm a chic, but i'm not wanting to bulk up or look like female hulk in a bikini. haha. Is there a trick to staying more to the "toned" side of things rather than "bulk"?? I have a friend (who is completely addicted btw) who seriously lost alot of her female curves...I don't want that. Of course, i'm also only going to be going 2 days a week...not 5.

Arms getting bigger=totally awesome. That, actually, is one of my biggest goals!

Plus I've read where about 50% gain weight at first. I'm not really worried about a number on a scale...but I don't want my clothes to fit tighter in the bad way if you know what I mean.

quikky is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little12 View Post
    ...I'm kind of scared about certain things getting bigger even if it is muscle. Thighs and butt are the perfect example! I'm a chic...
    I like squat butts and I cannot lie. Please do not starve your thighs and butt of succulent muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I like squat butts and I cannot lie. Please do not starve your thighs and butt of succulent muscle.
    Ok...this is going to be my new mantra when I'm doing squats! Nice!!! I do want them to look better--I just don't want my thighs to not fit into the shorts i've been trying to fit into for a decade (and finally do!)

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    Didnt read many responses, but heres my 2

Form is most important with the olympic lifts. Surely the insttuctors will go over this, but Starting Strength and Supple Leopard are great books for references.

To get into shape before the oly training, take twenty minutes out of your day to do some pushups, pullups, bodyweight squats, etc. CrossFit incorporates many bodyweight movements, and these are easy to learn and form is pretty straightforward with these movements.

Also take time to stretch daily. Stretch all your muscles slowly and deliberately. I use this time to focus on my awareness of my body.

You can get gloves to avoid calluses too! Although I think calluses are beneficial for grip strength.

As for eating, in my experience, I try to workout on a fairly empty stomach. Sometimes Ill eat a banana, wait an hour then workout. Or if i workout later in the day after eating a meal or two, ill wait a few hours before commencing. Staying hydrated is the most important throughout the day. But working out hard with fluid moving around in your stomach is uncomfortable. Small sips, light food is for me.

Good luck, its all in attitude.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little12 View Post
    GOOD advice on hands!!!!! Do people ever use tape??

Do you do knee socks? or just deal with the scrapes?

I know just after my free into class, my knees were bruised and sore!!
    I tape my thumbs when doing the Oly lifts. For some reason I get blisters near the web of my thumb unless I tape.

Sometimes I wear knee socks when deadlifting to protect my shins from bruising (when you DL you should have the bar against your shins before you start to lift). If you're bruising your knees, you're doing it wrong. Have a coach double-check your form; your knees shouldn't be in the way when you lift and lower the bar.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Goldie, you quoted me in your signature but you missed the best part. I think the next sentence read "We're trying to spew vitriol and profanity"

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Goldie, you quoted me in your signature but you missed the best part. I think the next sentence read "We're trying to spew vitriol and profanity"
    I don't remember that part... 'cause for sure I would have included it. Now I'm trying to remember which thread I got it off of!

*wanders off to search the forum*

Edited to add... I found it. In Mr. Perfidy's marquis de sade thread. I quoted you in full!
    Last edited by Goldie; 09-12-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Added current data

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast