Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength workout.....Will it get me good results? page

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member

Strength workout.....Will it get me good results?

Shop Now
    I have a medicine ball which weighs about 12kgs and the other day during my workout I decided to do over head throws from one side of this field to another, about 50 - 100 metres long, I would do slight variations where I would slam the medicine ball straight down from an overhead position and then attempt to throw it as far as possible forward (still in the overhead position). Another variation was throwing it forward using an underarm throw etc.

Will this give me good results in terms of muscle tone and definition?

I play basketball so from a functional fitness point of view it will help with passing as I will have more strength when passing overhead and more power, but is there something I could add in for even better results?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.kelly View Post
    I have a medicine ball which weighs about 12kgs and the other day during my workout I decided to do over head throws from one side of this field to another, about 50 - 100 metres long, I would do slight variations where I would slam the medicine ball straight down from an overhead position and then attempt to throw it as far as possible forward (still in the overhead position). Another variation was throwing it forward using an underarm throw etc.

Will this give me good results in terms of muscle tone and definition?

I play basketball so from a functional fitness point of view it will help with passing as I will have more strength when passing overhead and more power, but is there something I could add in for even better results?
    Stronger muscles are toned muscles. Definition is more a result of low body fat percentage. You should do a proper strength training program and forget this medicine ball silliness.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Stronger muscles are toned muscles. Definition is more a result of low body fat percentage. You should do a proper strength training program and forget this medicine ball silliness.

But you'd agree, surely, that it's better than nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    Love this

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    In a completely untrained individual, riding your bicycle a few hours a week will increase your bench press strength. Does that mean that bicycling is a good exercise for upper body strength? Is it better than nothing? I suppose. That's a damn low standard though.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    I'd like it as a conditioning workout done on top of even the most basic progressive strength workout.

As far as results in strength or 'tone' I bet you'd see improvement for a month or so then you just be doing the same thing over and over without strength results.
    Last edited by bcbcbc2; 09-12-2013 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bcbcbc2 View Post
    the most basic progressive strength workout.
    Yes. Do this.

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member
    In a completely untrained individual, riding your bicycle a few hours a week will increase your bench press strength. Does that mean that bicycling is a good exercise for upper body strength? Is it better than nothing? I suppose. That's a damn low standard though.

I was just throwing the guy a bone, of course i would not advocate low level strength training. But it'd be adding moving and throwing to a walk around the field

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Couldn't have put it any better myself !

Define a strength training program and what things it may involve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast