Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is there any way to make sprinting fun? page 4

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    No, that's crap. Warm up, sprint and you're lucky if you can go 30 seconds. Rest until you don't feel like crawling into a hole and dying, then do it again. Repeat until there's nothing left. You make playing sound complicated. Fast track to failure is overthinking. Especially something as mindbogglingly simple as "Run as fast as you can, then a little faster, then too fast, then rest and do it again." If you think you need a heart monitor for that, it's scary. The only thing you can really do wrong while sprinting is wussing out and not running hard enough.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
    I think the point of it is to know for sure that you are doing it right. Dr. Mercola has this certain formula which is something like 220 - your age = where you max heart rate should be. He said that you should be within 10 beats of that number throughout your whole 20 minute workout. What he says is to warm up for 3 mins, sprint as fast as you can for 30 seconds going all out, then exercising moderately for 90 seconds and then 30 secs all out, then 90 secs of moderate, repeating the whole thing 8 times. He is saying that your heart rate should never drop below 10 beats of the number in the formula even when you are doing the moderate part of it. So I should probably take it out of the box and read through it to make sure I am doing it right. Since I am using a mini trampoline which probably isn't ideal, my heart rate might not be getting high enough. But like I said, I need for this to be convenient and somewhat fun or I just won't do it, and I come up with every excuse imaginable not to do it.
    Knifegill is spot on. Go as hard as you possibly can, and the max heartrate thing will take care of itself. Also, trying to stay that high for 20 minutes seems a little ridiculous. Maybe there's good reasoning for it, and maybe I already do it, but it seems like something extra to stress about that may not be all that particularly useful.

My sprint sessions usually involve sprinting as hard as I can for as long as I can. There's a point where you feel your stride break, and you know that you don't have any more to give. That's when I slow down and stop. It usually takes 20-30 seconds for the first one or two, and I'll cover somewhere around 150-200m. I rest until I feel like I can do it again. The later ones might only be 15 seconds, or less than 10 seconds by the time I get to sprint #6. The last ones might be 50m, but that's all I've got to give at that point.

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    Run through a crowded park as fast as you can yelling " it's coming get out of the way".

This way you will be able to get others to sprint with you and you won't feel lonely.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am also in the sprinting sucks camp. The only sprints I am Okay with doing is in the pool, but I still can't move myself to do them more often than once every few weeks. Running makes my knees wobble and I get scared. I played basketball once with my kiddo's group and I almost fell down and lost my footing when trying to run hard because the knee started shifting (I dunno how to describe it, but it's like a leg tries to detach itself and breaks under you?). Normally I hate any fitness that depends on someone else, and has a competitive component to it. I suck at all things athletic, so I prefer to minimize public humiliation, lol.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-13-2013 at 07:39 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

My knees used to be wobbly. I quit stretching and *poof* now they are stable. But I'm probably just lucky to have had that experience.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    I am also in the sprinting sucks camp. The only sprints I am Okay with doing is in the pool, but I still can't move myself to do them more often than once every few weeks. Running makes my knees wobble and I get scared. I played basketball once with my kiddo's group and I almost fell down and lost my footing when trying to run hard because the knee started shifting (I dunno how to describe it, but it's like a leg tries to detach itself and breaks under you?). Normally I hate any fitness that depends on someone else, and has a competitive component to it. I suck at all things athletic, so I prefer to minimize public humiliation, lol.
    Good morning. Wobbly knees can be caused by not enough lateral strength so to help with this practice lateral movement in your warm ups.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Thank you. I kindda decided that my running days are over, as it seems to hurt more than it helps. I think I'd rather swim for my sprints tbh. I am trying to figure out to put in more pool time, but so far between pool schedule/heavy use and my schedule, the stars do not align. Oh, well.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Thank you. I kindda decided that my running days are over, as it seems to hurt more than it helps. I think I'd rather swim for my sprints tbh. I am trying to figure out to put in more pool time, but so far between pool schedule/heavy use and my schedule, the stars do not align. Oh, well.
    Lateral movement in the pool is especially good because you're able to fight mild resistance. You may never want to run again but I'm sure you aren't interested in falling. Lateral strength in the hips and knees protects from falling because of increased stability in the joint.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    This is a super fun way to sprint:

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Aldergirl says to volunteer at a nearby school and play with the kids. Tag is still in, I'm told.

Turquoisepassion:
    notontherug:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast