Thread: Pull up bars, Push up handles and other exercise bars with rotating handles page

SupermanRedSun is offline Junior Member

Pull up bars, Push up handles and other exercise bars with rotating handles

Primal Fuel
    Anyone here use them? For a while now I've really come to believe that is the real way to exercise by allowing the natural movements to occur.

Anyone of the same mindset?

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    For a pullup bar, I don't want it rotating. I think in nature a branch or a cliff wouldn't rotate for your convenience, so why should I train as if it would?

Well I say the natural way to perform is with rotating handles because that is the way our hands and wrists rotate.

If you like it, do it. I just disagree with your assesment, but that's cool.

But that IS the way our wrists rotate.

That's wonderful, you've said that already.

If I'm ever in a situation where I need to pull myself up from the side of a ship, or out of a window, I'll be happy to have been training in a more realistic situation where the object I'm holding onto doesn't contort itself to help me.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SupermanRedSun View Post
    But that IS the way our wrists rotate.
    Your wrist rotate? Not really. They have a significant degree of flexion/extension and abduction/adduction, but rotation.... not so much. Go ahead and give it a try while you are sitting there. You will see what I mean

But even when you are discussing this properly (as suppination and pronation at the elbow and relationally to the shoulder alignment) there is no need or biomechanical advantage to changing throughout the movement. A neutral position will be best in regards to a safe range of movement, beyond that your just working the muscles associated with suppination and pronation in conjunction with the prime movers of whatever you are doing.

The idea that rotating throughout the motion IS the way it works is wrong. Just go ahead and raise your hand for instance or point at something. Did you have some high degree of change throughout that movement in terms of the angle your thumb was pointing?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-14-2013 at 09:35 AM.

DeltaCypher0 is offline Senior Member
    Here's the deal, when performing any bodyweight movement, less equipment is better. A pushup is a movement that pushes your body off the ground from a prone state. No "perfect pushup" rotating handles are necessary to engage the muscles. They do make it more difficult though, so if you want them for added intensity, go for it. As for pullups, again, a tree branch doesnt rotate. I love static straight bars for pullups. But, I do have a bar in my college house that spins. Its a wooden dowel tied into ropes with a butterfly knot. It makes muscle ups 70% harder, and regular pullups about 40% harder. Grip strength is huge for a rotating bar. Train however you want, just keep it short and intense.

Sent from my XT907 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Themike is offline Junior Member
    Concentrate on fundamental, basic human movement. Incorporate a push, a pull, and a carry in all of your training. Don't over analyze things.

If in doubt remember this, pros in every discipline master the basics and do them better than everyone else. Amateurs in every discipline talk gear and buy more than anyone else.
    gym | ALT

Body Weight Based Fitness
    http://www.gymalt.com