Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scary article about olive oil... page

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member

Scary article about olive oil...

Primal Fuel
    Here is an article about olive oil and all of the scams around it, Olive Oil Scam REVEALED (And How To Spot The Real Stuff) | Mama Natural. Thank god for Costco. There brand is on the list of safe ones to buy.

Mutton is offline Senior Member
    Is this happening in other countries as well?!

tonydeluce is offline Member
    Note the brand is Kirkland Organic which I have not been able to find in Costco but is available on Amazon.com

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4

Most olive oils are fake. You basically need to go to a specialty store and preferably be able to see the lab reports yourself. If you are getting grocery store olive oil, it is, at best, canola/soy/sunflower etc mixed with some olive oil. There are other ones that are even worse, including inedible oils. It's really sick. If you want the real thing, you'll have to pay for it.

CaliforniaGirl is offline Senior Member
    I went to the market across the street earlier to get olive oil and they only had the junk brands so I just bought extra avocado and put that on my salad instead. Another "healthy" food filled with junk, what is the world coming to, it really sucks. I guess I will have to hunt for one of the 5 approved brands mentioned in the article or just make dressing from avocado. I did think it was strange when Dr. Mercola posted what he eats everyday and said he makes his salad dressing out of grass fed butter. I bet this is why.

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    Are any at Trader Joe's good quality? Does anybody know?

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Well dang, my Colavita has a bunch of impressive-sounding certifications on the label.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Giblets is offline Member
    After reading the linked REPORT, things don't look as dire as I feared -- for the major brands, most of them slipped down to a rating of "virgin" rather than the "extra virgin" that they tout on the label. So what's the difference between virgin and extra-virgin? Apparently, it is a slight degree of mustiness or rancidity that can be tasted if you have a really sensitive palate.

In other words, still pretty good, but not quite up to the premium grade that is on the label (and that you're paying for). I feel a little ripped off that the brands I've been buying for years (Pompeian and/or Carapelli) are in the down-graded "virgin" group. However, I really can't taste the difference.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Is your olive oil lying about its virginity?
    That article gets awesome status just for that quote.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I assume most of us are just using it for things like salad because it isn't very stable when cooked. What other oils would be good and not too expensive. I currently use MCT oil for salad with a little bit of (possibly fake) olive oil for flavor, along with apple cider vinegar and salt and spices. Macadamia is supposed to be good, but very expensive.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast