Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Statins or not? page

Malibu is offline Junior Member

Statins or not?

Hello,

I'm new to the community and apologize in advance if this inquiry is elementary. I'm 46 years old, 6', 185lbs and have always been in above average shape. However, despite a lifetime of good, not perfect nutrition my LDL levels remain borderline high. I've been juicing daily, 90 percent primal and eating organic since January 1. Had lipid panel in August and my numbers are as follows: Total cholesterol 217, triglycerides 67, HDL 49, VLDL 13 and LDL 155. Of course I was prescribed statins. I did a little research and discovered the Iranian equation for those with low triglycerides and wondered if this formula was bonafide. I should add that I'm 99 percent dairy, bread and grain free. My diet would certainly qualify as low carb. Not boasting, but physique is a slightly larger version of Sissons. Schedule for another lipid test in 8 weeks. I'm not sure if the order will stand, since I refuse to take the pharmacological route. Any input would be appreciated.

Regards,

Malibu

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
    I refuse to take the pharmacological route
    Smart man! If you had said your trigs were 250, HDL as 17, and LDL was 499 - then you might as well take statins because you are just slowy killing yourself anyway...but with a clean diet, high HDL and low trigs with just borderline LDL that really means nothing. you are smart to just keep on keepin' on. Get tested every 6 months or so, keep your trigs low/and HDL high -- if you see a reversal in either then examine your diet.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't do statins if I were you . Your numbers are a bit high for CW standards, but even without the Iranian equation your ratios look fine.

CW standards? Thanks for your time.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    Conventional wisdom.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry if I were you and I WOULD NOT TAKE STATINS. Check out the ratios at Better Know Your Triglyceride/HDL Ratio if You Want to Prevent a Heart Attack

HDL/total cholesterol ratio: yours is 0.225

0.24 or higher is considered ideal

under 0.24 - low

less than 0.10 - very dangerous

Triglyceride/HDL ratio: Yours is 1.367

2 or less is considered ideal

4 - high

6 - much too high

You may want to work on getting your HDL up a bit, but other than that, I think it looks okay.

Any suggestions for raising HDL?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Lift weights and eat animals.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    @ Malibu

Here is my take on statins....I am a physician, specializing in eyes and not internal medicine, but here goes.

First of all, your numbers are not bad overall. I would prefer you not have a whole lipo like you do, as this is pretty old fashioned anymore and of little value to me. A better test would be to get a VAP cholesterol test, Hba1c, fasting BG, and 100g glucose test if you can make it happen. This allows me to evaluate how your body metabolizes glucose, and this combined with heart testing (of which I am no expert) will tell me how healthy your CV system truly is.

In regards to statins, I have one major problem, or question I have never had answered in the affirmative. Keep in mind that I have asked this as medical licensing CE courses, to very credentialed docs of every kind, and never seen evidence to support it.

Please produce a study, double-blind and peer-reviewed, that shows patients without known cardiovascular disease (most everyone) whereupon cholesterol shows morbidity once metabolic syndrome has been removed from the morbidities side. I have never seen such a study.

What I do know from cardio-thoracic surgeons I know is that in doing heart surgery, the primary outlier of their patients is the amount of inflammation of their coronary vessels. Basement membranes are thick, insides are "rubbed raw", and toxicity of the pericyte barrier is totally compromised. (I.E. The vessels are chronically weakened, with inflammation causing plaque formation)

In simple terms, I believe that it goes like this:

PUFA, prolonged high insulin state (metabolic syndrome) => inflammation of vessels as part of coronary, atherosclerotic cascade => plaque formation, vessel impairment + cholesterol = heart attack

The cholesterol SHOULD be flowing through the body unimpeded like nature intended. It is inflammation, not cholesterol itself, that is dangerous. Blaming the cholesterol for a heart attack is like blaming the water for the Titanic going down. Yes, it went down in the presence of water, but it HIT A DAMN ICEBURG FIRST. I believe that the inflammation caused by the SAD is that iceburg.

Statins do nothing to address the inflammation, targeting only the more measurable scapegoat, and there are many studies showing them to be BAD for you on their own. For that reason, I do not prescribe them ever, and DC my diabetic patients that are taking them.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by TheyCallMeLazarus; 09-11-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    "Man is born free.....but everywhere he is in chains."

Kegas76 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been juicing daily...
    Lol, every time someone says this in a thread I always think roids.

Vit D maybe, it wont help by the next test in 8 weeks but in the long run it can do a lot for HDL if your levels are currently low.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast