Thread: IF: Tales of being happily never hungry page

MegX is offline Junior Member

IF: Tales of being happily never hungry

Primal Fuel
    Hi all!

This is my first forum post. I'll apologize in advance if I seem a little lost....this forum business feels more confusing to me than when facebook rolled out it's new wall!

One month and one day ago, my husband weighed himself and was so embarrassed that he wouldn't tell me what the number was. He asked if I'd go "low carb" with him to help him shed a few pounds, and I happily agreed. I set out to find the best route to go, and we settled into a nice "modified Atkins" style diet. After suffering a few days with the carb-flu (staying under 20 net grams a day), things evened out and I started to feel really great. About two weeks in, I discovered Marks Daily Apple and immediately ordered the Primal Blueprint and companion cook book. It's been two weeks now, and I've largely given up dairy and all artificial sweeteners. I'd say that I'm living almost 100% primal (workouts as prescribed with lots of energy...paddleboarding for my play and sun time...etc...) I'm also sleeping better than I've ever slept in my entire life. For the first time in my life, I have a quite mind about food and I finally feel like I'm just starting to "get it". So, this is my question:

I know that we're supposed to only eat when we're hungry....and that's what I'm doing. It's just that I'm NEVER hungry. I find myself fasting sometimes 12-18 hours a day with no problem. If I get hungry, I eat something until I feel good and then I stop. I've done two 24 hour IF's in the last week (as it happened, I was traveling, so it just kind of worked out that way... I wasn't planning it. I'd eat dinner at night and then go to bed and not eat again until dinner the next day with no problems.) On one hand, it feels awesome to just listen to my body and give it what it needs when it needs it; on the other hand, I can't shake the CW that's been pounded into my head about "not getting enough calories" and "slowing your metabolism" down.

Advice? Opinions? Am I alone with this? Is my body just happily burning fat and I need to calm my ass down? I'm so happy to be here and I'm so excited to see where this lifestyle is going to take me!

diene is offline Senior Member
    First of all, congratulations, paleo works for you! You have no idea how envious I am when I read a post like yours.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Just eat when hungry and stop when full.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    No worries! Many folks here fast for 16~23 hours every day. Most nutrients are stored and transported efficiently--the first ones to deplete will be protein, sodium, and possibly potassium, B- and C-vitamins. If meat or salt sound tasty then it's probably meal time.

Fasting has many benefits for insulin sensitivity, digestion, and immunity. If you feel like you're losing lean tissue or struggling to eat the necessary amount of food then you can readjust.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    I think it is awesome that you are feeling so good. I can relate to that.

For years I ate every 2-3 hours from 5am until 6pm. Always carrying my food around in a cooler, and stressing over when, and what to eat at the next feeding time.

I went primal 3 just over 3 weeks ago and I have never felt so free. For the first 3 weeks my last meal was usually around 2pm and I would be fine until the following morning. Most days were like that. It was mentally hard to not eat more often. The whole metabolism needs to be constantly fed mantra in my head.

Yesterday I ate my last meal at 11am and didn't eat again until 5.30 this morning. My first 18hr IF. It was so easy. I was worried last night I would wake up ravenous for food, but it was not a big deal. Was making hubby breakfast and made mine at the same time, or I could have gone longer without eating. It is so weird and part of my mind is in a state of unbelief.

Congrats on figuring all this out so easily. I hope your journey continues to be smooth and full of amazing energy!!
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Leida is offline Senior Member
    First of all, congratulations, paleo works for you! You have no idea how envious I am when I read a post like yours.

I wouldn't worry if I were you. Just eat when hungry and stop when full.
    +1
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nope its fine. Thats the way most people feel in my experience.

murf73 is offline Senior Member
    I generally only eat one meal a day. I love it. It's completely normal. I love not having to worry about breakfast and not needing to pack a lunch to take to work. Then I get a feast at about 4:00pm when I get home. Listen to your body!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If you are significantly overweight your body is simply using its stored fuel. No worries. You are not starving to death. Enjoy it while it lasts. It may wear off for you eventually when you run out of stored fuel your body is willing to let go of. Calming of that irrational hunger on a CW diet is one of the benefits of this way of eating, at least for a lot of people.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3