Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: serious salt addiction

Hybrid View

serious salt addiction

I'm adding WAY too much salt to all of my food, all of my food. Salty sweet is my current addiction...salt to fruit and nuts...
    I eat all veggies, fruits, protein, healthy fats, nothing processed.

Its out of control. I've been tested for the disorder that includes a craving for salt and don't have that. I'm hooked on nuts because of the salt factor...even if they are raw I have to add my own.

Help...I gotta kick this. Anyone else successfully kick a salt addiction? Any advice is appreciated.

Why do you have to kick it? Do you have any reason to thnk that you a) have blood pressure issues and b) are one of the small minority of people whose blood pressure responds to salt? If not, then why would you need to cut back?

I love salt. It's good stuff. I wouldn't cut back for any reason to be honest! I do make sure to use the best I can find though.

We need salt. 1200mg a day is considered the minimum for health. For most people, any excess just gets excreted in urine or sweat. There is no good evidence for avoiding salt. Obviously, avoid megadosing or sleeping in a box of salt, but normal amounts on food, sauces, in dinner, etc.? Ain't no thang unless it raises your blood pressure - which is only true for a few unlucky people. Just make sure you're getting a lot of magnesium and potassium, too, and your body takes care of the math.
    The remainder is an unjustifiable, egotistical power struggle
    At the expense of the American dream, American dream
    Of the American

We don`t give a damn about your world
    With all your global profits
    And all your jeweled pearls
    We don`t give a damn about your world
    Right now, right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    We need salt. 1200mg a day is considered the minimum for health. For most people, any excess just gets excreted in urine or sweat. There is no good evidence for avoiding salt. Obviously, avoid megadosing or sleeping in a box of salt, but normal amounts on food, sauces, in dinner, etc.? Ain't no thang unless it raises your blood pressure - which is only true for a few unlucky people. Just make sure you're getting a lot of magnesium and potassium, too, and your body takes care of the math.
    More like 4,000-5,000mg seems to be ideal in my research. 1200mg is severely deficient IMO and would probably lead to a lagging thyroid and weight gain.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    More like 4,000-5,000mg seems to be ideal in my research. 1200mg is severely deficient IMO and would probably lead to a lagging thyroid and weight gain.
    Oh crap! I guess I need to drastically increase my salt intake. Although I like my food spicy, I don't salt it heavily, and the hot sauce I use isn't high in salt either.

I also work out a lot and sweat a ton when I work out.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    I'm adding WAY too much salt to all of my food, all of my food. Salty sweet is my current addiction...salt to fruit and nuts...
    The problem with Paleo is it is typically a low salt diet. The studies I've seen show the optimal intake of sodium is nearly DOUBLE what the US Dietary Guidelines recommend. Low salt intake correlates with hypothyroidism and weight gain. I have PURPOSELY increased my salt intake. A LOT. When I wake up, I pour a little salt in my palm and lick it off. Seriously. Salt is incredibly important, and the studies that show salt negatively are epidemiological hogwash and just correlate with a high intake of processed food since pre-packaged meals, chain restaurants and fast food is where Americans tend to get their salt. A whole foods diet consisting of meats, fruits and vegetables is going to be deficient in sodium, so add it I say!

My thing is salted watermelon with cinnamon and coconut flakes. OH MAN!

And do you work out a lot? Remember, the more you sweat, the more salt you need.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I had that yesterday. SO good!

Quote Originally Posted by diene View Post
    I had that yesterday. SO good!
    You can also try with some cocoa powder. Just a dusting.

You can also try with some cocoa powder. Just a dusting.
    Sounds good. I've been adding salt to cantaloupe too, and that tastes good as well. It's weird how some fruit tastes good salted, and others don't. (Apple + salt = ew)

The problem with Paleo is it is typically a low salt diet. The studies I've seen show the optimal intake of sodium is nearly DOUBLE what the US Dietary Guidelines recommend. Low salt intake correlates with hypothyroidism and weight gain. I have PURPOSELY increased my salt intake. A LOT. When I wake up, I pour a little salt in my palm and lick it off. Seriously. Salt is incredibly important, and the studies that show salt negatively are epidemiological hogwash and just correlate with a high intake of processed food since pre-packaged meals, chain restaurants and fast food is where Americans tend to get their salt. A whole foods diet consisting of meats, fruits and vegetables is going to be deficient in sodium, so add it I say!

And do you work out a lot? Remember, the more you sweat, the more salt you need.
    I second the Paleo=low salt warning. I crashed the first few weeks going Paleo since I no longer ate prepared foods that typically contain a lot of salt. Doing all of my own cooking with whole ingredients. I already had low blood pressure and a low resting heart rate (90/60 and 44bpm in bed at night) but I wound up feeling shocky. I happened to be at the OB-GYN for annual visit and my BP read somewhere around 85/50. EEEK.

Adding Himilayan sea salt and eating more bacon really helped. I've also put back a little caffeine with my Crio Bru in the morning. If I pick up a virus I can still feel crappy like I did before, but increasing salt again seems to help.

So, I guess your addiction is all relative based on your preconceived notion of what is proper salt intake and the idea that salt is 'bad'.

Try measuring out the amount of salt people here say is optimal and put in a bowl. Use only that salt during the day and see how much you actually use.

Yes, and exercise increases your need more than you realize.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel