Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: serious salt addiction page 2

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    Some cultures get upwards of 30g sodium a day. Intake of 10g a day is common. There is no reason to avoid salt or sodium if you are getting it from a clean source.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the others. If you're Primal, you've cut out all the highly processed (and thus, highly salty) foods that most Americans have in their diets. Most articles I've read agree that it's not the salt shaker that's the problem, it's all the hidden salt in processed foods. Unless you have a health condition that calls for cutting back on salt, I don't see why your salt cravings are a problem. You may well be deficient.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Okay here is the thing... in a low salt diet it's okay to add a bit of salt. If you are healthy your body will get rid of the excess. There is a but.... too much salt will make your body hold extra fluids. It's possible that you hold on to extra weight due to that...
    also people with heart and kidney problem should stay below the 2000mg of salt because their bodies can't get rid of the fluid and eventually fluid will settle behind the lungs and heart and could cause lung or heart failure....

I would be careful with salt... but my grandpa is 80 and eats lots of salt and is still fit for his age

Sent from my Nexus S using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    More like 4,000-5,000mg seems to be ideal in my research. 1200mg is severely deficient IMO and would probably lead to a lagging thyroid and weight gain.
    Oh crap! I guess I need to drastically increase my salt intake. Although I like my food spicy, I don't salt it heavily, and the hot sauce I use isn't high in salt either.

I also work out a lot and sweat a ton when I work out.

amyb is offline Member

salt

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm in excess of the amount you've indicated, I heard two teaspoons of table salt is the amount total that I can have in a day and that too much effects calcium absorption?

I have low blood pressure, no kidney problems but I do think I'm retaining fluids. I work out every morning and mtn bike in the afternoons. I'm just a relatively active person, I can't sit still for more than an hour, I figet etc. But...my mom has suffered from high blood pressure. I get comments all the time that I'm using a ton of salt from everyone and I could literally lick salt straight and not be satisfied! I just can't bring myself to get rid of the salt shaker from the house!! I don't know how to kick this.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Just a thought...
    Are you using "table salt" (stripped of all the good minerals and stuff your body likes"
    Or a whole salt like celtic sea salt, himilayian pink salt etc wich has all the good minerals still
    If your using the "white" salt it could be your body craving the stuff that it thinks it should be getting along with it.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I lick deer salt...does that count?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    Only if you don't leave enough for the deer.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Eddoword is offline Junior Member
    Are you really addicted to salt or are you addicted to the nuts/salt, fruit/salt combination.

How about salt on chicken or steak? Or salt + veggies? Or salt itself in water? Do you feel 'addicted' when eating that? Or are you in control?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm in excess of the amount you've indicated, I heard two teaspoons of table salt is the amount total that I can have in a day and that too much effects calcium absorption?

I have low blood pressure, no kidney problems but I do think I'm retaining fluids. I work out every morning and mtn bike in the afternoons. I'm just a relatively active person, I can't sit still for more than an hour, I figet etc. But...my mom has suffered from high blood pressure. I get comments all the time that I'm using a ton of salt from everyone and I could literally lick salt straight and not be satisfied! I just can't bring myself to get rid of the salt shaker from the house!! I don't know how to kick this.
    I never liked adding salt until I went primal. My wife added salt to just about everything. Now I consistently add salt to most things, and not a small amount. If I don't get enough, my blood pressure gets borderline too low, and I have to pee a lot.

My bet is that your view of what "a lot" of salt actually is is skewed by conventional wisdom.

Some ways to get more salt:
    Add it to your coffee (cuts the bitterness, and counteracts the diuretic effect a bit)
    Salt your vegetables and meats (Raw tomato + salt = delicious! Avocados too.)
    Do you eat cheese?

I've heard that your taste buds acclimate to salt after a while, so it takes more salt to get the same salty taste from something, but I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast