Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just need to rant about ill coworkers skeptical of my lifestyle, please! page

Shebeeste is offline Junior Member

Just need to rant about ill coworkers skeptical of my lifestyle, please!

Shop Now
    One of my co-workers noticed I was losing weight and asked me how I was doing it, since she has an event coming up this summer that she want to get thin for. I told her I was doing "low-carb", because she is so firmly entrenched in conventional wisdom that primal would blow her mind. I gave her some hints and pointers, told her to read everything she could online and mentioned how fat isn't bad for you. If it's working for her, I may try to steer her in a more primal direction.

But really, I have always hated discussing my wacky dietary choices with my co-workers over the years--vegetarian, vegan, food sensitivities, whatever. And I don't want to be anybody's diet guru. However I let it slip generally around the office that "I'm not really eating many carbs these days". So my other co-worker, who is constantly snacking, offered me some "healthy" new puffed potato chip product today. I refused, and he said, oh that's right, you're staying away from carbs. (The last time he offered me an asparagus chocolate chip cookie, and it was so weird I had to try a small bite.) I said yeah, I'm not eating grains or potatoes, pretty much... Or sugar. And left it at that.

The man has type-2 diabetes, terrible skin, is nearing obese, has foot problems, back problems, sleep apnea, tired all the time, gets sick a lot, mood issues, you name it. He snacks constantly--I can hear the bags crinkling. Heck I'm a carb addict--I get it, though I've never been that ill. But he says to me "Now, you can't be too strict about those things, and allow yourself a little leeway, or it's just not sustainable." Argh!!!!!!!! The irony!

I just came off a 30-day primal challenge (No sugar, no dairy, no fruit, no nuts) where my only cheats were some strategic doses of coffee with heavy cream. Darned if I ate better (yummier, cheaper, healthier) than I have for a year. Sounds pretty sustainable to me. And I feel great and dropped nearly two pants sizes. Today, because it's Friday I'm currently enjoying a good craft beer (no of course it's not primal, but it's a rare treat for me anymore--usually I do red wine) and two squares of 90% chocolate with almond butter on it, after having a delicious lamb stew and salad with roasted chicken, avocado and a bit of goat cheese. "Not sustainable" my ever-lightening butt!

Thanks for listening.

How do y'all present your lifestyle to your Korgish skeptic co-workers?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I hardly ever discuss my diet with anyone, but once I was at a friend's house, and they kept offering me all these carb laden snacks, and I was beginning to feel horrible. "Come on man you have to taste my girlfriend's homemade cookies!!!" ...Want some popcorn?

This lifestyle is definitely sustainable, I'm saving a lot of money.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I've just been saying lightly (sounds similar to what you've said shebeeste) 'oh I'm doing this low-carb health kick thing' or 'I've ditched sugar, doing the wholefoods health thing' - something along those lines. When we started talking about it a bit more depth the other day, I went as far as mentioning that fats weren't the enemy after all, that it's the sugar/insulin that drives weight gain and buggers up your arteries, and they seemed to take it quite well - someone joked about sending me 'hunting and gathering'.

You might not want to be too detailed re coworkers on here - in case they do find their way to PB and recognize themselves

Shebeeste is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post

You might not want to be too detailed re coworkers on here - in case they do find their way to PB and recognize themselves
    Oh, I know, I thought about that--asparagus cookies is a dead giveaway! I think I can edit my post...I hope.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shebeeste View Post
    One of my co-workers noticed I was losing weight and asked me how I was doing it, since she has an event coming up this summer that she want to get thin for. I told her I was doing "low-carb", because she is so firmly entrenched in conventional wisdom that primal would blow her mind. I gave her some hints and pointers, told her to read everything she could online and mentioned how fat isn't bad for you. If it's working for her, I may try to steer her in a more primal direction.

But really, I have always hated discussing my wacky dietary choices with my co-workers over the years--vegetarian, vegan, food sensitivities, whatever. And I don't want to be anybody's diet guru. However I let it slip generally around the office that "I'm not really eating many carbs these days". So my other co-worker, who is constantly snacking, offered me some "healthy" new puffed potato chip product today. I refused, and he said, oh that's right, you're staying away from carbs. (The last time he offered me an asparagus chocolate chip cookie, and it was so weird I had to try a small bite.) I said yeah, I'm not eating grains or potatoes, pretty much... Or sugar. And left it at that.

The man has type-2 diabetes, terrible skin, is nearing obese, has foot problems, back problems, sleep apnea, tired all the time, gets sick a lot, mood issues, you name it. He snacks constantly--I can hear the bags crinkling. Heck I'm a carb addict--I get it, though I've never been that ill. But he says to me "Now, you can't be too strict about those things, and allow yourself a little leeway, or it's just not sustainable." Argh!!!!!!!! The irony!

I just came off a 30-day primal challenge (No sugar, no dairy, no fruit, no nuts) where my only cheats were some strategic doses of coffee with heavy cream. Darned if I ate better (yummier, cheaper, healthier) than I have for a year. Sounds pretty sustainable to me. And I feel great and dropped nearly two pants sizes. Today, because it's Friday I'm currently enjoying a good craft beer (no of course it's not primal, but it's a rare treat for me anymore--usually I do red wine) and two squares of 90% chocolate with almond butter on it, after having a delicious lamb stew and salad with roasted chicken, avocado and a bit of goat cheese. "Not sustainable" my ever-lightening butt!

Thanks for listening.

How do y'all present your lifestyle to your Korgish skeptic co-workers?
    If that's not delicious food, i dont know what it.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I tend to avoid using the phrase 'low carb' because so many people believe the anti-Atkins hype and think it is bad for you to cut your carbs. I tend to say I changed my diet to include more good quality meat, veg, eggs and cheese. If the conversation continues I might mention cutting carbs then, and I do say I cut back fruit, because so many people think you can eat as much fruit as you want because it is good for you. People seem reassured so long as I'm not doing an Atkins, which I think is sad. The people who tried to discredit him were successful to the detriment of the health of a lot of people.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    I don't discuss it at all. I've literally gone for 20 years and blabbed about how this or that is the next great thing and I'll be svelt and fit in no time! Only to fall flat, or I should say FAT again.

This time, not saying a thing.

Instead I simply say that I can't eat grain products as I've developed an intolerance, and I'm avoiding sugar for now as I'm afraid it may lead me to eating cookies (with grains!!) or some other treat laden with the stuff that makes me bloat up in pain.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I, too, never mention low carb. Fortunately, none of my friends needs to lose weight, so they don't ask much about my weight loss. To a few that do, I just say, "I don't eat sugar or starch" and leave it at that. The fact that I don't eat any grains, dairy, fruit, or artificial sweeteners of any kind I never mention to anyone. Since I've lost so much weight (slowly, but people only began to notice at the 100lb mark, so they think it's been 'sudden'), I suspect that a lot of them assume that I've had weight-loss surgery and don't want to mention it (I haven't), so that's why they inquire so rarely.

What I find most interesting is that the doctor that I talk to about my WOE is my endo (who doesn't know all the details but knows most and highly approves), but my primary doctor hasn't asked ONE question. The last time I saw him, he commented that I'd lost a 'good deal' of weight, yet he never asked if that was intentional (surely unintentional weight loss would be significant) or what I was doing to lose. I found it amazing that he would not show any interest at all.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had visible results yet so don't face questioning on that front... if people comment on my food I just grin and take the whole / real food approach. Good solid home cooking, that kind of thing. I have a minor reputation for thinking with my stomach, and tormenting everyone with the slow cooker, but they all agree it looks / smells nice. So I guess I'm acceptably wierd

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    I haven't had visible results yet so don't face questioning on that front... if people comment on my food I just grin and take the whole / real food approach. Good solid home cooking, that kind of thing. I have a minor reputation for thinking with my stomach, and tormenting everyone with the slow cooker, but they all agree it looks / smells nice. So I guess I'm acceptably wierd
    I've accepted the fact that I'm "acceptably weird" too to my coworkers. I've started eating at my desk because I can't stand the comments. If they see me eating a BAS at noon, they say "oh wow, you eat so healthy! But you look fine, you don't need to watch your weight." If they see me eat that same BAS at 11 or 11:30 they say, "Lunch already? You couldn't wait until noon?" So a 30-minute difference is enough to make me go from a ravenous fatso to an anorexic rabbit in their eyes. Yet it's still not socially acceptable for me to comment on their unhealthy eating (ie. the young diabetic downing a can of diet coke or the overweight woman and her juice fast). Can we say double standard?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast