Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just need to rant about ill coworkers skeptical of my lifestyle, please! page 2

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I'm all out there about it. No excuses. No disseminations. I'm low-carb for life, so why not own it. Short of carrying around a portfolio with before pics and my previous and most recent lab results, I couldn't be more confident in this lifestyle being right for me (and so many others) and I think that shows in my attitude about it. How are we ever to hope to turn the tide if we don't have full disclosure. LC saved my life, literally, and if someone gets all negative, I just blow them out of the park w/ my to-date successes, then go back to gnawing on the nommy food.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I just say that I've cut out grains and sugars. Doesn't seem to rile people up too much. If somebody presses me, I explain that grains in particular cause inflammation which is bad for my autoimmune disease. That shuts them up.

Everyone at work DOES bitch about my sardines I put on my BAS though. Out of kindness, I've promised not to eat sardines at work anymore. =)
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    I never ever use the words low carb. there's such a backlash, I find, against Atkins and similar. If - and only if - someone asks, I say I'm just not eating grains and sugar. If they offer me food I simply say, "thanks, that's so kind (or thoughtful or whatever)" plus the added 'no thanks' or 'i'm not hungry right now' or 'i just ate' - whichever is true. Avoiding things like 'no i can't eat that' or 'no i'm only eating 'x'' just goes to places that are rarely a good use of time or energy.

I give only the info they ask for and still as little as possible. Lots of smiles, nods and 'ohhhh', "hmmm", "I see", 'Yeah".

Mostly they don't want to know, they just want to talk and be heard. When they really do want to know, I share more openly.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    , they just want to talk and be heard
    This is an astute observation, cillakat. This is humanity, isn't it. There's a Buddhist monk I enjoy listening to, Ajahn Brahm - he's english - originally an astrophysicist - and tells very insightful and funny stories. Once he said about how he was traveling, and at the airport someone was talking to him - and he said, as an aside - I spend a lot of time listening. People need someone to listen, because it's hard being human.

I thought that was amazing - this really smart, wise man listening - even though he was the knowledgeable one, who should be doing the talking - because that was what people need.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    I have been cautiously vocal about my food choices at work. One co-worker borrowed my copy of PB after doing the Dr Eades 6-week program, and others have expressed some mild interest. I haven't gotten any flack for the way I eat. One of my co-workers was eating Jell-o at 7:30 in the morning and commented "This low-carb thing is hard to get used to!". I just had to roll my eyes.
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    I just say "well, i lift heavy weights, I walk constantly, I do some interval training here and there, and I eat more natural foods." I don't go into detail unless they really want to know my actual meals..typically most people are wishing you'd tell them about some magic pill or something..once they hear exercise or natural foods they usually stop asking questions lol
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    I tell them I'm "eating healthy" and leave it at that in most cases. When they press more, I say "eat natural foods", and as a last resort, I say "eating primal...the way we evolved to eat."

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen in Oz View Post
    T People need someone to listen, because it's hard being human.
    I agree. So I listen. A lot. Most of my life I spend listening.

For the sake of sanity and balance though, I'm glad that here on MDA, I've found a place where I can talk.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I am starting to get lots of comments and interest. We have gone out to some work dinners recently and the topic always comes up. It's nice because it's easy to be semi-primal at a classy restaurant - had an amazing huge boullibaise (sp?) recently. I give as many details as people are interested in, the lucky part is that they are all academics / researchers and are receptive to the scientific logic of it all. The short version though is "I cut out the bread and sugar" plus "I found out I can't eat bread". 90% of people aren't interested in more detail than that.

strawboss is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    I never ever use the words low carb. there's such a backlash, I find, against Atkins and similar. If - and only if - someone asks, I say I'm just not eating grains and sugar. If they offer me food I simply say, "thanks, that's so kind (or thoughtful or whatever)" plus the added 'no thanks' or 'i'm not hungry right now' or 'i just ate' - whichever is true. Avoiding things like 'no i can't eat that' or 'no i'm only eating 'x'' just goes to places that are rarely a good use of time or energy.

I give only the info they ask for and still as little as possible. Lots of smiles, nods and 'ohhhh', "hmmm", "I see", 'Yeah".

Mostly they don't want to know, they just want to talk and be heard. When they really do want to know, I share more openly.
    I agree, Cilla. This is the best response

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast