Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Mr Free Range Pig page

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member

Advice for Mr Free Range Pig

Shop Now
    Hi all. I couldn't decide whether to put this in fitness or nutrition as I suspect the answer is about both so have opted for this. Hope that's OK.

Mr Pig is one of those lucky tall people who finds it easy to get slim relatively effortlessly if only he can make the slightest bit of effort (or indeed, if only I make the slightest bit of effort on his behalf!) and is generally robust and healthy (touching wood as I type that). He had got a bit tubby round the middle through general over consumption, lots of milk chocolate and too much wine and whisky, but when I went primal for good at the end of last year (I was a mess) he quickly came on board with me. He hasn't been overly strict but has effortlessly got to his goal weight and below. He likes the primal lifestyle, prefers to keep starches to the evenings (as do I), loves his meat, good cheese, veg, eggs etc, and has gradually changed his chocolate preferences to dark rather than milk. He can easily get away with desserts if he fancies them (but does so much less these days), and can eat as many nuts as he fancies and still lose weight. He never gets very ill and sleeps it off if he does. His metabolism is good. He still likes wine too much ( as do I) but we're both working hard at becoming more moderate and we're currently on day 10 of a two-week no booze challenge, which we have both found easier than we expected but which has not brought as many benefits as we had hoped (which I suppose is a good thing really, as it probably means we weren't as bad as we feared!).

Movement/lifestylewise he is quite busy and not particularly sedentary, he is self-employed and though he spends a lot of time on a computer he also spends a lot of time rushing around between jobs. He spends a fair amount of time messing about with the two young piglings, taking them out on their bikes and running after them, throwing them around, walking them on the ceiling etc. He is quite strong and does like gardening and DIY when he gets the chance. He installed a pull up bar shortly after we went primal because he found that VLC gave him ridiculous amounts of energy that he just had to use. He doesn't train on it in a particularly organised fashion but just jumps up and does a few pull ups whenever he is waiting for the coffee to come up, or feeling too energetic after a meal. He also does Argentine Tango classes with me, and when I am well enough we practise reasonably often in the evenings (this is good for core strength and is also good "moving around slowly" stuff as well as playing.) h in the sleeps well, is sometimes interrupted but gets back to sleep easily. We were both mostly VLC for about 6 months (which we both felt good on) but currently we're eating rice, potatoes or bananas in the evenings partly to see if it helps me sleep (I don't think it does!) and partly to avoid boredom and keep things sustainable.

He's still losing weight remarkably easily for someone of his BMI (22.2). He is 6'1" and 168lbs now. I'd guess his bodyfat is about 20% or maybe a little less. What there is is on his tummy/love handles - his arms, legs and face are very slim.

I think he needs to stop losing weight now as I will start to worry about him if he gets much skinnier. I am already shoving dark chocolate and bananas at him but he finds primal foods very satiating so sometimes won't eat the things I shove at him! The answer I suspect would be to eat more carbs but he prefers not to eat them during the day because he feels more level without them, but only has a certain amount of room for them in the evening in one sitting. I also think that for optimum health he needs to start building a bit of muscle now - to protect his back when doing DIY, throwing kids around and to give him the best quality of life.

He doesn't have time for reading up - he wants me to predigest stuff for him and tell him what to do. I don't really understand much about building muscle - I have tried but I find it all so confusing and I don't have that much experience of it myself as my battle is mostly about getting strong enough to be able to sustain those muscle building exercises long-term and I am not there yet. I started all this in a very different place to him, as a gluten-intolerant, EDSer (type 3) with a lot of pain and fatigue and illness - I have had an immense amount to learn/work out/put in practice to deal with my own health issues without having to read up on his completely different needs to!

I am guessing he needs to up his calories/carbs and protein, up his strength training but I am a bit unsure how best he can fit this into his lifestyle. He's not a creature of habit and won't do anything scheduled and planned out. Any ideas how to fit some useful muscle building exercise into his rather spontaneous, fun-loving lifestyle? He's not likely to do stuff that involves counting a lot of repetitions or learning lots about technique. And any thoughts about how to get him to eat more when he won't eat carbs during the day, and how best to distribute the extra carbs/protein he might need?

TIA for any thoughts!

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Males can stay surprisingly healthy at very lean body compositions. I wouldn't worry just yet. If he's hungry, he'll eat. If you just want to be sneaky and make him hungry and gain weight, lower his protein intake and he'll likely make up for it by eating more fat and or carbs. But that's a mean trick, and health effects are poorly understood. When you can bounce a quarter off the connective tissue at the base of his 8-pack, and count the striations in his deltoids unflexed, then it might be time to mention his body fat being too low.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Thanks - just to clarify that I am not worried about his body fat being too low, so much as the rate that he loses weight without trying, and the fact that I think he needs a bit more muscle to protect himself for all this flinging around of children and tables and stuff that he does! I won't be doing anything sneaky and mean, don't worry!

Oh and I don't want him losing any more muscle which, if he loses 4lbs in two weeks (he just did) at that BMI, is surely a danger?

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Depends on his build. 4 pounds in two weeks sounds like a typical water whoosh. You sure he's actually losing muscle or fat? Does he seem run down? Sleepy? If not, let him go. He'll eat when he's hungry. Got recent photo? What are his bones like?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

He seems fine! I just worry about him because he's my Mr Pig and I want to make sure he's alright and he suddenly seems so skinny!

He's strong enough, but could be stronger. He sleeps well, has an amount of stress but handles it well, throws bugs off easily. He's a lucky bastard!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You can't make him lift weights if he's not into it, but if he's willing to lift weights, that will help a lot. Perhaps he will need to have some barbells available in the garage to do it, though.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

He's willing and keeen - just needs it made easy/fun for him to do in the sort of spontaneous way he likes to do things.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    I totally thought this was going to be about a free range oinker that was having a rough time.

:-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast