Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ladies that had C-sections page

running_mum is offline Junior Member

Ladies that had C-sections

Shop Now
    Hi ladies

I have had three c-sections and hate the way my tummy looks. The 'flap' - if you know what I mean.

Does it ever go away when you lose weight?

In another forum they said it never does unless you have a tummy tuck (which is not gonna happen). Has anyone here had any success with getting rid of it?

Thank you

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I wish I knew!

(Yup, also a mum of three who had all three by C-section and has the horrible tummy flap )

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I don't think the tummy flap you describe is necessarily due to the c-section. It could happen regardless of the delivery method, if the skin was excessively stretched and a lot of weight was gained during the pregnancy. I have had a c-section once, and fat stored in the lower abdomen area. That's a very difficult area to get rid of fat from, but for me most of it went away as I lost weight.
    If it's a case of stretched skin, unfortunately the only way to correct it would be through cosmetic surgery.

Is the incision normally at the same spot with each c-section? Sorry, if this is considered a stupid question.

wiltondeportes Guest
    My mom was tiny, so after 24 hours of labor, they parted the red C. I'm pretty positive her stomach looked normal afterwards, so there's one example. The only unique thing is that she was an Olympic athlete.

Hmm... I guess that means the doctors were Moses, and I was the chosen Israelite escaping the nasty Egyptians, and my mom was the pharaoh? The plot thickens...
    Last edited by wiltondeportes; 09-11-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    I don't think the tummy flap you describe is necessarily due to the c-section. It could happen regardless of the delivery method, if the skin was excessively stretched and a lot of weight was gained during the pregnancy. I have had a c-section once, and fat stored in the lower abdomen area. That's a very difficult area to get rid of fat from, but for me most of it went away as I lost weight.
    If it's a case of stretched skin, unfortunately the only way to correct it would be through cosmetic surgery.

Is the incision normally at the same spot with each c-section? Sorry, if this is considered a stupid question.
    Yes, I think this is probably true... I doubt it's the C-section that's responsible for the flabby belly skin. In my case it's just over stretched skin I guess??

There is a theory, though, that if you lose enough fat from under the skin, that the skin WILL shrink back. However, you have to manage to lose all the fat that's sitting in the flap (sounds lovely, yeah??!). I would imagine that would require a pretty low BF% (I read somewhere 12% which is really lean for a woman, particularly... somewhere else I read about 15%).

I'm giving it a really good shot, but I think ultimately I'll end up getting surgery to fix it...

Casey is offline Member
    I had a C-section 22 years ago, and after that I got healthier and skinnier than I have ever been before (or since) - it wasn't until I gained a sh*t ton of weight up to 185 pounds that I ended up with the flap. Now I've lost 20 pounds and that damned belly flap/fat is hanging on for dear life.

I would LOVE to see it go. I'm hoping if I just keep swimming, so to speak...
    I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. ~P. G. Wodehouse

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Iron Fireling;1308200There is a theory, though, that if you lose enough fat from under the skin, that the skin WILL shrink back. However, you have to manage to lose all the fat that's sitting in the flap (sounds lovely, yeah??!). I would imagine that would require a pretty low BF% (I read somewhere 12% which is really lean for a woman, particularly... somewhere else I read about 15%).

I'm giving it a really good shot, but I think ultimately I'll end up getting surgery to fix it...[/QUOTE]
    Mark had a post linking to another blog, maybe? It does make sense that your body would not continue to support skin it didn't need. Skin is not some dead thing that just hangs there. It's a living organ that requires support. I have some rumply skin on my belly after 2 overweight pregnancys, despite never having a C-section. It seems to be slowly diminishing.

My SIL carried twins and delivered by emergency C-section, but her Dr put the persistent extra skin down to twins plus not having time to do the OCD version of a C-section incision. I think every case is going to be different. Some Drs are just going to be better at their job (handiwork), sadly.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

With my last C-section I jokingly suggested to my obstetrician that she could cut away some of that excess skin before sewing me back up! Alas, no...

But I'm hoping that getting the body fat down will help the skin decides it doesn't need to sag there anymore... we'll see.

LisaLS is offline Senior Member
    Oh I had the flab there even before my c-sec. Sucks to hear that it probably won't go completely away even after I lose more weight. BOOOO
    DD born August 2012
    TTC #2
    SW: 1/20/14- 212.4
    CW: 2/21/14- 202.6 (9.8 loss)
    Goal: Short term, get below 200 and get pregnant. Long term, get to 120-130
    Mini goal, get in to a size 12.

My boring uneventful journal for your viewing pleasure

MIstressKiki is offline Senior Member
    I had a fist-size gap between my abs after the section which meant I looked (still do to tell the truth) very preg even 2 years after. Got that closed to 2 inches but all the weight I put on seems to go straight to my belly. When I do lose, I lose it from there but the loose skin remains. Not an apron as such, but still a bit wobbly. I put it down to the fact I wasn't particularly fit pre preg so knackered muscle tone to begin with.
    I don't ask that you like me - all I ask is that you respect my life experiences and i will do the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast