Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep and Carbs page

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member

Sleep and Carbs

Shop Now
    I've seen posts where people have stated that eating some carbs before bed helps them sleep better.

And I've heard fitness trainers claim there's no need for a lot of carbs with dinner. Plus also seen sleep hygiene advice recommending the avoidance of any food, esp. carbs, close to bedtime.

Aren't carbs digested within a couple/few hours, and possibly causing disrupted sleep...maybe even waking up in the middle of the night?

What's your experience been? Have you seen this studied, discussed, or reported on that you can share with us?

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    Have you ever googled the hibernation diet? It is about how raw honey before bed can help you sleep. They say is has something to do with the carbs. I don't quite recall everything but I have taken raw honey when I have had sleep problems and it does help you have better sleep.

marc is offline Member
    I think Carbs generally serve 2 purposes...
    1. To prevent Protein from turning into Fat
    2. As you say, to provide sleep!

Try a Baked Potato a few hours before Bed, possibly add some Cheese if you react well to it (of course).
    In Grok terms, I would say Cheese was present in early agriculture, and it works best for some, but not for all.

I tend to use Carbs around the mid afternoon and before bed
    Last edited by marc; 09-10-2013 at 07:30 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Sugar blunts stress hormones. Salt helps greatly as well.

marc is offline Member
    If you want a good nights sleep, Cocoa and Honey is the way to go!
    Honey, yes, may be a form of Sugar,but its far from the regular white stuff.
    After a good meal, you can find Honey is great at regulating the body.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    IME any food after dinner/sunset is an unwelcome circadian disruption. Poor sleep can have any number of causes--lopsided diet might be one of them but I'd make sure light, sound, temperature, caffeine, alcohol, etc. were sorted before tinkering with it.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I mostly avoid carbs after dinner, but not completely. I might have a little bit of Greek yogurt. And, honestly, my will power is low. I might have a bit of peanut butter on pork rinds.

I sleep very soundly and fairly restfully. I sleep so soundly that I don't move around. (Yes, I am sure.) So I'm stiff when I wake up. Would cutting out dairy and peanut butter help? It is a moot point.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Carbs or no carbs, makes no difference here. But if I eat chocolate before bed time, my sleep is a bit screwed up (I never drink coffee in the PM). If I add fermentable fibers or prebiotics at some point during the day, I have very vivid dreams. I try to go to bed around 21:30 (+/- 1 hour). I sleep about 5-6 hours straight, wake up but fall asleep immediately until 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Apparently I'm different than most people here... i try to avoid almost all foods before sleeping. Especially sugar and wheats. They make my stomach do funny things and prevent me from falling asleep. Also sugar makes my head busy with all sorts of thoughts, so no sugar before sleeping... I'm trying to stay away from sugar completely that's why I'm starting Paleo, even a day of no sugar and low carbs makes a difference. My head is so clear....

secret agent girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marc View Post
    ... Carbs generally ... prevent Protein from turning into Fat.
    How does this work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast