Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americas Cup - lean with me Kiwis! page

Soulrunner is offline Member

Americas Cup - lean with me Kiwis!

We just won another race! Dean Barker and his crew are awesome! Oracle were left scratching their heads on that one.

Looking forward to the next race
    Go sell crazy somewhere else.........we're all stocked up here.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Yay for us!

Can't say I'm a huge fan of boat racing, and I can't for the life of me understand all the heats and endless racing that seems to go on for years. But still yay!

Would be nice to host another Cup challenge back in NZ, it brought so much to the country last time.

Soulrunner is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    Yay for us!

Can't say I'm a huge fan of boat racing, and I can't for the life of me understand all the heats and endless racing that seems to go on for years. But still yay!

Would be nice to host another Cup challenge back in NZ, it brought so much to the country last time.
    Same! I just like to watch the finals, same with the rugby World Cup, can't be arsed with all the lead up. I will usually watch a final in anything if we are in it.
    Go sell crazy somewhere else.........we're all stocked up here.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    What a fantastic race! Yes, N.Z. vs USA, but even more, it's about the boats. The previous team to win, USA, gets to design the boats for the next race, 4 years later. In this year's race, Oracle, the USA team, designed the boats, and they're incredible (and incredibly expensive), so there weren't many teams competing in the defenders challenge, which N.Z. won.

However, although Oracle designed the boat, it was N.Z. team, captain I think, who requested a small 'tweak' to the design. The boats are catamarans. There is no sail, instead there is a fixed wing, as long as an airplane wing. If that wing is pushed over, by the wind, the boat crashes and breaks into many pieces, as did one of the N.Z. boats in practice. I suppose the floating, non-broken parts can be used again. But the parts that sank are gone forever. The boats have a carbon-fiber dagger-board on each side that can be raised or lowered. In the rear of each side is a fixed 'fin', combined use as a rudder.

These boats can fly, literally. The tweak, I think, was the ability to rotate somewhat the dagger-boards. Rotating them back when at a good speed enables the boats to rise up off the water completely. The N.Z. team boat was clocked at 56 mph in a rough chop. Unbelievable for a "sail-boat".

You have got to watch this Replay: AMERICA'S CUP FINAL - RACE 5 - YouTube.
    Last edited by Cryptocode; 09-11-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    dear god, Crypto - how can you confuse us with Australia?

I love watching the finals of most things, too. Did you see the news article that described how fast Dean Barker's brain works compared to the rest of us?? It was amazing.

Edited because I found the news item. The numbers in the middle of the clip actually flash up really fast (on my computer they appeared more like lotto numbers, lol).
    Last edited by Jac; 09-11-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Doncha just love the cute little spammers . . .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    dear god, Crypto - how can you confuse us with Australia?
    OMG, you're right. I'm incredibly sorry. I'm going back to edit Aus out and replace it with N.Z. Please forgive me.
    "When the search for truth is confused with political advocacy, the pursuit of knowledge is reduced to the quest for power." - Alston Chase

Leaflard is offline Senior Member
    Go America Cubed! ... Oh wait, I'm showing my age. :-)

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    OMG, you're right. I'm incredibly sorry. I'm going back to edit Aus out and replace it with N.Z. Please forgive me.
    Forgiven . Doesn't change the fact that they're damn exciting boats! I love watching them come up on the foils - they look like space creatures.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    I love watching the finals of most things, too. Did you see the news article that described how fast Dean Barker's brain works compared to the rest of us?? It was amazing.
    I watched it, all I saw was a very short flash of light, not even 1 number. And he saw every number separately. Amazing. I had no idea that fast sight (and interpretation) or fast reflexes was a qualification for sailing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast