Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interpreting Blood Test Results page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Interpreting Blood Test Results

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I just got my blood test results back. Does anyone have some good resources to help interpret it, or where to pay particularly close attention? I got CBC, thyroid, vit D, lipids all done.

thanks!
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I am a resource?

What are you numbers? I don't need all of it, just thyroid, full lipids, Hba1c, fasting glucose, 100g glucose test if you got it. I should be able to at least make some conclusions
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member
    I am 19 years old. thanks for giving me feedback.

TSH 1.54
    T4 6.5
    FTI 6.7
    T3-Uptake 41.1

Lipids:
    LDL direct: 83
    Cholesterol: 169
    Triglyceride: 35
    HDL: 71
    Non-HDL 98 (what is this?)

Hgb A1C 5.4

NON-fasting glucose (had a bit of breakfast beforehand, i was starving): 100

vit d: 79.6!

not sure if this is 'bad,' but my WBC was 4.3 and RBC was 4.4, which were right at the lower end of the range.
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

1) I love the LDL to HDL ratio. This is pretty much stellar.

2) Trigly.....just about the only number off a "whole lipo" that I take into account. Yours is spectacular.

3) Non-fasting has no value unless the exact quantity, time, and content of food are taken into account.

4) Hba1c is also very good. I would shoot for sub 5.0% as an absolute rockstar, but this takes a lot of work. There is a Goldilocks zone of about 4.7 to 5.2 that I try to push for in my non-diabetic patients....but single readings have an error of that much, so I would not worry.

Overall very good. No worries. I could tack it up as an example
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    At your age, your WBCs should be in the 6s and 7s, not at the low-normal level you're in. Most 60 year olds have higher WBCs than you. Retest and see if it's still low. Go back and see when it was last 6. I'd bet that it was before you started your "Paleo" diet.

I hate to go against the grain, but despite the highly-credentialed lipid experts here, trigs of 35 are not healthy, especially not in a teenager. I'd shoot for 50-100, add some safe starch carbs, stay out of ketosis, especially if you have thyroid symptoms. In fact, in a teenager, your lipids are completely meaningless. Do you realize that? At your age, the probability of dying from heart disease is so infinitesimal that you shouldn't not even be concerned about atherosclerosis or cholesterol. The problem is too low cholesterol, specifically, trigs that are too low, not your lipids in any shape or form. Forget about the HDL, LDL, TC/HDL, Trigs/HDL ratios. They don't apply to a 19 year old in tip top shape.

On the other hand, you do realize that your FTI and T3 Uptake are both high, right? Do you realize that or are you just not aware because no one is pointing out. It's your health. I'd urge you to err on the side of caution. Add some more carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by echoyjeff222 View Post
    I am 19 years old. thanks for giving me feedback.

TSH 1.54
    T4 6.5
    FTI 6.7
    T3-Uptake 41.1
    Last edited by choppedliver; 09-12-2013 at 11:12 PM.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    not sure if this is 'bad,' but my WBC was 4.3 and RBC was 4.4, which were right at the lower end of the range
    This is very low for a health young person... To raise your RBC you might want to try to eat more high iron food, like red meat and spinach.
    The low level of your WBC isn't good but it also gives you a positive sign, you are not fighting many infections. it would be high if there was something wrong in your body. To raise these eating veggies and fruits help but also protein and minerals work.

Besides that your blood work looks good... it might fluctuate troughout the seasons, it might be a wise thing to ask for an other bloodwork somewhere in January to see how it has changed and if your counts have gone up a bit

Outside of hyperthyroidism or a very low fat diet (which I doubt, on here), I am never concerned with a Trigly of that level. The numbers do not occur in isolation, and with and HDL/LDL ratio like yours, the amount of triglyceride reducers keeps it very low.

I am always reticent in anything that tests for thyroid when in part of an overall panel due to their legendary inaccuracy. Even with that said, I would be much more dependent on your signs or symptoms of thyroid issues over a test. The numbers of people on harsh, often poorly dosed thyroid meds just because a test said so could fill a million volumes.

If you do go back, I would push hard for no drugs. Try to control with diet, of which others here have advice better than mine on, before you ever start a medication. I spend a lot of time with people made very unhappy by thyroid meds.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    Outside of hyperthyroidism or a very low fat diet (which I doubt, on here), I am never concerned with a Trigly of that level. The numbers do not occur in isolation, and with and HDL/LDL ratio like yours, the amount of triglyceride reducers keeps it very low.

I am always reticent in anything that tests for thyroid when in part of an overall panel due to their legendary inaccuracy. Even with that said, I would be much more dependent on your signs or symptoms of thyroid issues over a test. The numbers of people on harsh, often poorly dosed thyroid meds just because a test said so could fill a million volumes.

If you do go back, I would push hard for no drugs. Try to control with diet, of which others here have advice better than mine on, before you ever start a medication. I spend a lot of time with people made very unhappy by thyroid meds.
    This. If your nineteen without other significant signs or symptoms then please do not change a thing based on this one test. Eat paleo, move a lot, don't stress, and stop getting blood tests unless your not feeling stellar......

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing wrong with his RBC. His issue is low-normal WBCs (especially for his age) which could be a signature of budding immune dyregulation. Usually the WBCs fall below the midpoint after you start restricting carbs; if you become immune deficient, they keep falling and continue their falling trend right down to the border. Seriously, if not being careful, VLCing could lead to CVID, which is appropriately considered ideopathic by modern medicine.

He certainly does not need any false alarm about anemia at this point. He's already being given conflicting signal from our resident cholesterol experts, whom I notice is venturing out of their vaunted area of expertise and into even thyroid markers now. Except they're clueless about FTI and T3 uptake. Listen to some of these guys and you can seriously wreck someone's health. Right, so give him the same advice that you would a Jimmy Moore, who's 430 lbs. with FH and can only keep morbid obesity at bay through ketosis. Seriously, that applies to an athletic 19 year old weighing 120 lbs.?

Know who you're taking health advices from, folks. These people are looking down the wrong end of the binoculars; they think their particular health history, metabolic derangements, and personal predilections apply to you automatically. As far as I know, you're not metabolically deranged, not morbidly obese, not neurologically impaired or epileptic. You have a whole life ahead of you. At your age, I'd focus on the long haul by maintaining a healthy immune system and CBCs, which could be put under stress if you unduly restrict your carb (or caloric) intake. And just to let you know, there is virtually no one here with any expertise in reading CBCs or immune markers; this is a whole new frontier and most doctors are clueless as well, since past research has focused exclusively on lipids and weight loss. Research is just starting about the long-term effects of VLCing and ketosis on immune health. And what you see is not good, not good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MarielleGO View Post
    This is very low for a health young person... To raise your RBC you might want to try to eat more high iron food, like red meat and spinach.
    Last edited by choppedliver; 09-13-2013 at 11:13 AM.

"He's already being given conflicting signal from our resident cholesterol experts, whom I notice is venturing out of their vaunted area of expertise and into even thyroid markers now."

I do not know whom you are referencing in this....I presume that by "vaunted expertise" you are implying myself. If not, please disregard this defense, and I apologize in advance if you are addressing another.

My advice was simply to NOT go rushing to his PCP to ask for the thyroid issue to be addressed. I doubt many docs would do it, but its dangerous to put hypochondriac voices in his head.

My main "expertise" in thyroid medications is that they do not work very well, and some of the side effects are extremely unpleasant. I deal almost exclusively with diabetics in my practice, however many are on thyroid meds that are very rough on them and don't do much but move a lab value. Symptoms don't change, or whole new ones come up. I am not an endocrinologist, I am in ophthalmology. I would be the first to say that I am not an expert on thyroid...that said, I have not seen too many who seem to really nail it down either.

In all honesty, I view thyroid meds in the same vein that I view statins....both are, in my medical opinion, a way of "Serving the chart instead of the patient", as I have heard it called. In both cases one can change a lab value that is more than likely just a symptom of a much larger, more mercurial pathology. Cholesterol does not cause heart attacks, inflammation plus cholesterol does....thyroid I believe operates in much the same way. It is diet and lifestyle change only for me on those two. I have not seen evidence in either case that actual outcomes are helped, outside of severe cases of secondary thyroidic dysfunction.

Lastly, I do not advocate VLC for anyone, even very severe diabetics. (I define this as under 20g a day from any source) In a 19yo, I think it is absolute madness. I do not see where he claimed this was his diet.

If I am misunderstanding your words, again my apologies.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast