Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Question about my 14 year old girl page 2

  1. #11
    teach2183's Avatar
    teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    1,057
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    Is she drinking enough water? Sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger.
    I was going to ask this as well. Is she having water after sprinting? I know the research says you don't "need" it then, but I find I'm thirsty after exercising. Definitely up her carbs as well. If you do a search, I'm sure Mark has written an article on it.

  2. #12
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,964
    I get hungry when I work out heavy, and sprinting is definitely part of that. Give her more food. Fat calories don't quite always do it for me when I work out hard, so sometimes I need large quantities of potato or rice.

    If you're concerned about it, have her drink some water and wait 20 minutes, but my bet is that she needs more food. Even if she isn't growing taller, she's still 1. developing and 2. growing muscles. That'll take a lot out of her.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonCC View Post
    She has one piece of fruit at breakfast (or a similar amount of berries, etc). At dinner it's about half of a large sweet potato.

    (edited to add - and veggies with every meal, I'm just listing the obvious starches and fruits here).

    Her lunch today was a ground beef (pastured) and egg concoction cooked in oil with a side of raw red bell peppers. It's not calories for sure, since the meat/egg/oil was plenty high in that and good fats. An hour later she said her stomach felt full but she felt like she was still hungry.

    I do know I've read about athletes needing more carbs and I get that she's not particularly athletic but my point to her is that before she was a total couch potato and now she's sprinting (small distances, but still) daily. And, as I said, she's still young and developing.
    So about 30g of carbs in the morning and 30g in the evening.

    You have your young active growing daughter on a low carb diet, it's no wonder she's having issues. Feed her some rice cereals and orange juice and other palitable carbs that give her enough calories.

  4. #14
    Graycat's Avatar
    Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,933
    Please, do your teenage daughter a favor and don't allow or enable her to a severely restrictive diet like that. Teenagers need plenty of healthy carbs as well as good sourced dairy.
    Girls at that age are susceptible to developing eating disorders.
    Also, how do you know that she has reached her full adult height already?


    I have a teen-aged kid of my own, and I simply make sure he doesn't eat highly processed junk, wheat in excess and nasty oils. I don't make him restrict macronutrients.
    Last edited by Graycat; 09-10-2013 at 07:23 PM.

  5. #15
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Uh, at 14 she's hardly done growing. I didn't stop growing a lot until around ~18, and even after that I added an additional inch or so before I was 21.

    VLC is ridiculous at any age, specifically that young. Expect her to struggle in all aspects of life on that diet at that age.

    When I was a teenager I ate even more carbs than I do now probably, and I couldn't imagine how bad I'd feel restricting my diet at that age. If my mom tried to control what I ate, I'd rebel and just eat at a friends house and sneak junk food all over the place. Have her eat her fill of fruit, and other starches, it really doesn't matter at that age. No one should be dieting, your metabolism is at its peak anyway.
    nihil

  6. #16
    momrn's Avatar
    momrn is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    81
    Girls reach their full height around two years after menarche. It's usually about two inches.

    Give her some carbs. It won't hurt her. Carbs are great after sprinting!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I was going to ask this as well. Is she having water after sprinting? I know the research says you don't "need" it then, but I find I'm thirsty after exercising. Definitely up her carbs as well. If you do a search, I'm sure Mark has written an article on it.
    I think mark's water info is nonsense. Much like his carb curve. But I digress...my water intake never changed from pre-paleo to now at least a gallon daily. Probably closer to a gallon and a half when it's hot out or on workout days.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,522
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    So about 30g of carbs in the morning and 30g in the evening.

    You have your young active growing daughter on a low carb diet, it's no wonder she's having issues. Feed her some rice cereals and orange juice and other palitable carbs that give her enough calories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Please, do your teenage daughter a favor and don't allow or enable her to a severely restrictive diet like that. Teenagers need plenty of healthy carbs as well as good sourced dairy.
    Girls at that age are susceptible to developing eating disorders.
    Also, how do you know that she has reached her full adult height already?


    I have a teen-aged kid of my own, and I simply make sure he doesn't eat highly processed junk, wheat in excess and nasty oils. I don't make him restrict macronutrients.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Uh, at 14 she's hardly done growing. I didn't stop growing a lot until around ~18, and even after that I added an additional inch or so before I was 21.

    VLC is ridiculous at any age, specifically that young. Expect her to struggle in all aspects of life on that diet at that age.

    When I was a teenager I ate even more carbs than I do now probably, and I couldn't imagine how bad I'd feel restricting my diet at that age. If my mom tried to control what I ate, I'd rebel and just eat at a friends house and sneak junk food all over the place. Have her eat her fill of fruit, and other starches, it really doesn't matter at that age. No one should be dieting, your metabolism is at its peak anyway.
    All kinds of truth here

  9. #19
    Drumroll's Avatar
    Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Uh, at 14 she's hardly done growing. I didn't stop growing a lot until around ~18, and even after that I added an additional inch or so before I was 21.
    At least as far as height and physical development is concerned, girls tend to reach their max height much earlier than guys do, so using your example is not going to be directly useful when considering a woman. Most girls have growth spurts at about ages 11-13 while guys tend to have theirs at about 15-16 for example. It is why you often see at late elementary and early middle school levels, most guys are actually shorter than their female classmates on average. Then this reverses in high school because the guys continue to grow while a lot of the girls have already (mostly) stopped.

    Now of course you do have to consider developing sexual characteristics in girls (breasts, etc.) that can continue to grow past the point where a girl has stopped growing at least vertically, so there's still some types of growth going on.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-10-2013 at 08:07 PM.

  10. #20
    Derpamix's Avatar
    Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    5,371
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    At least as far as height and physical development is concerned, girls tend to reach their max height much earlier than guys do, so using your example is not going to be directly useful when considering a woman. Most girls have growth spurts at about ages 11-13 while guys tend to have theirs at about 15-16 for example. It is why you often see at late elementary and early middle school levels, most guys are actually shorter than their female classmates on average. Then this reverses in high school because the guys continue to grow while a lot of the girls have already (mostly) stopped.

    Now of course you do have to consider developing sexual characteristics in girls (breasts, etc.) that can continue to grow past the point where a girl has stopped growing at least vertically, so there's still some types of growth going on.
    It depends, and I was using growing as a blanket statement really. I only included my height for an example.
    nihil

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •