Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating waaaay too much fat -- what to cut out? page

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member

Eating waaaay too much fat -- what to cut out?

Shop Now
    I just registered for a FitDay account, and entered my typical daily food intake. I consider myself a fairly healthy eater, and have made significant improvements in my diet and supplement regimen in the last 1.5 years. I'm a 33 yo female, who is trying to lose around 50 lbs. To date, despite the high quality and (I believe) reasonable portions of the food I've been eating, fat loss has eluded me. Due to a neuromuscular disease, I can't exercise as I'd like to, although I try to spend at least 2-3 hours per day standing and trying to do as much light exercise as possible.

The FitDay analysis revealed that 66% of my daily calories are coming from fat! Briefly, my typical daily diet consists of approximately
    1 oz. raw almonds & raw seeds
    5 oz roasted chicken (divided between breakfast & lunch)
    1 cup raw veggies (usually cauliflower)
    1 apple
    2 cups cooked veggies (usually broccoli)
    2 oz. roast beef (dinner)
    10 g fish oil
    10 g coconut oil
    8 g lecithin

The last 3 items were recommended (from various online research I have done) in these large doses because I have a severe neuromuscular disorder for which they're supposed to be helpful. However, I guess it's no wonder that I can't seem to lose an ounce of body fat, since the % of my calories from fat is so high.

It looks like I'm going to need to eliminate some of these sources of fat. Any recommendations about which items should go? The fish oil definitely needs to stay. And I'll mention that the nuts and seeds that I eat for breakfast are also fairly non-negotiable, for reasons related to my disability. I can't eat any fruits or veggies before afternoon...

Would simply eliminating, or minimizing, the coconut oil be the way to go? I take it because it's supposed to help the thyroid (and I believe that mine is sluggish), it's good for bone health (a serious concern of mine), and for the other reasons we're all familiar with.

Lecithin is good for the brain & neuromuscular system, which is particularly important to me, and is supposed to be excellent for liver health, which is also a concern of mine.

Not sure what more I can cut out of my diet, and still get all of the nutrients that are beneficial, particularly given my special health challenges. Thanks in advance for any input you have!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Why would you do that. Some of us here eat up to 80-90% fats. Looking at the foods you listed, I would say that it's pretty average in fat.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I'm at about 60% fat myself, it's a good thing as long as most of it isn't polyunsaturated. Honestly that looks really good, extremely healthy. If you're stalled usually I would say look out for polyunsaturates but the nuts are only an oz and the meat isn't that much, plus you have the fish oil to counter it. Damnit I'm stumped but I think that what you're eating is very healthy and almost ideal for fat loss. Are you soaking the nuts and seeds? Eating them without soaking can cause some GI inflammation and leptin resistance from lectins and various antinutrients so it's a good practice to start if you aren't.

How about nutrients? Are you taking supplements to make up for things you might be low in like calcium, potassium, magnesium, etc?
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Thanks for your responses.

>> Damnit I'm stumped but I think that what you're eating is very healthy and almost ideal for fat loss.
    lol, thanks for the confirmation. I *wish* there were some simple answer to why the weight loss isn't happening. My only remaining hypothesis is that it might be a food allergy; I read the book "The False Fat Diet", which suggests that some people (possibly myself) who eat a healthy diet but can't lose fat, can lose 20-30 lbs (mostly water-weight) in a couple of weeks if they cut out all potentially allergenic foods, and then slowly add them back 1-by-1 to determine what might be causing the problem. I may have to try such an elimination diet, although it's quite demanding. That book did ring true to me, though, as I carry most of my extra weight in my abdominal area, which is supposedly where water-weight accumulates when there is a food allergy... I *did* have a basic food-allergy blood test done in the past, but it was negative for all tested foods.

>> Are you soaking the nuts and seeds? Eating them without soaking can cause some GI inflammation and leptin resistance from lectins and various antinutrients so it's a good practice to start if you aren't.
    No, I don't; I'll consider doing so. Thanks for the tip.

>> How about nutrients? Are you taking supplements to make up for things you might be low in like calcium, potassium, magnesium, etc?
    I take around 3 dozen supplements every day. I have good reasons for each one, and I've done a lot of research about supplementation, so hopefully there's nothing major that I'm missing. In brief, in addition to the fats listed above, I take a multivitamin, ubiquinol, resveratrol, quercetin, MSM, garlic, cinnamon, cucumin, vinegar caps, WellBetX to lower blood sugar, high doses of all B vitamins, ~10 g vitamin C, ~20,000 IU vitamin D (I'm trying to get my 25OH levels to optimal levels), high-dose vitamin E & selenium and creatine, glycine & hydrolyzed casein for neuromuscular disease, liver cleanser caps, Perfect Food and chlorella, iron complex, high-dose (12.5 mg) iodine, and for bone health, calcium citrate, magnesium, 2 forms of silicon, boron, and high-dose vitamin K. Occasionally I add in some other amino acids, but I tend not to comply with these additions for long periods.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 06-04-2010 at 05:22 PM.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Your ratios should be 70 - 80% of your calories from fat. Increase the coconut oil!!
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

>> Your ratios should be 70 - 80% of your calories from fat. Increase the coconut oil!!
    Thanks for the advice. I'll consider it! I'm envious of these people I've heard about for whom, after they start taking coconut oil, the "fat just melts off." When is that going to happen for me?!

primalpanda is offline Member
    How many calories is that? It doesn't look like much food at all...

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member
    second primalpanda's question.
    I do not buy into the whole calories do not matter on this way of eating to be honest, but not eating enough can stall weight loss also. I am also a big proponent of primal carb refeeds ( and high calorie) about twice a month coming from a lot of sweet potatoes, some brown rice. I am not a big fan of fructose due to the fact of how it relates to the liver and stuff. If weight loss stalls i say give those a try. I personally think shocking the system is good once and a while.

When i was all into the bodybuilding WOE i really got into cycling carb diets. Which got me into the low carb way of eating, which got me to MDA!

and oh yea, unless you are eating like 20 grams protein I would not worry about dropping the fat. But your diet does not look low in protein!

primalpanda is offline Member
    I was curious so punched those foods into Fitday and got 1,190 calories. That's not very much at all unless you're very petite. I'd recommend eating more of everything, and upping your coconut oil especially to get the fat to at least 70%. Covering all that broccoli in melted pastured butter wouldn't hurt, either. I'd also add several pastured eggs to your daily diet.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Looks good to me.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast