Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating waaaay too much fat -- what to cut out? page 3

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Gosh you have a lot of supplements. I'll take your word for it that you have researched them all but I wonder whether the mix you are taking is helping any and maybe it is hindering your weight loss. My recommendation is more meat. If you're eating good quality meat from a range of sources you shouldn't need large amounts of supplementation. I saw some recent research that taking antioxidants as supplements actually stopped the body from producing it's own. Maybe some of the other supplements are having negative affects. Just a thought.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    >> if i were you i would cut the apple before the nuts, and try 2-3 weeks eating in a surplus....seems like not enough food...
    I agree that eliminating all fruit is probably one of my next changes to make. I could replace the fruit with protein...

>> First and formost, keep in mind that virtually all human grade fish oil supplements currently on the market, are molecularly distilled and have the same level of purity. There is no reason to pay more for various certifications (IFOS) or brand names (ie NN etc). Only a few mfgs in the world are procesing fish oil, it just all gets labeled for the myriad of vendors individually.

Thanks for all of your insights, cillakat. I'm confused, however; I have also read that many of the fish oil supplements being sold actually *are* often contaminated with heavy metals, and that the only way to guarantee that the supplement is safe to take, is to choose an IFOS 5-star-rated product. Is there a definitive way to tell whether a product is safe or not, apart from IFOS rating? Claims made on product labels such as "molecularly distilled" are not necessarily verified by a 3rd party, so as far as I'm aware, organizations such as IFOS are invaluable for providing an independent standard that companies can voluntarily choose to comply with.

>> Are you current on the MS/Vitamin D literature? Including the newer info showing that UV exposure has benefits of it's own - separate from the vitamin D issue? We know vitamin D lowers inflammation massively. Proper dosing took my chronically high crp - 5.4 down to .1-.2.

If by MS you're referring to multiple sclerosis, yes, I've read about some studies on the relationship of MS to Vitamin D & sunlight. For clarification, I have muscular dystrophy (MD), not MS. But I would probably benefit from more sunlight exposure, as well, if I had the opportunity to be outside!

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    ditch the coconut oil for sure.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, but: HUH?? That's the first time I've ever heard anyone into the Primal Blueprint suggest such a thing. Please explain.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    >> Sorry to dig up an old thread, but: HUH?? That's the first time I've ever heard anyone into the Primal Blueprint suggest such a thing. Please explain.

CaptSaltyJack, I wasn't the one who posted that advice (cillakat did), and I don't want to speak for her, but here is my interpretation of her advice: she agrees with me that my fat intake is likely too high a % of my total calories if I'm trying to lose weight and not succeeding, so she recommended that I cut my fat intake to ~50% of my daily calories. In order to do that, I'm going to have to cut out fat from one or more places in my diet. Since she and I are both in agreement that fish oil is an essential, non-negotiable component of a healthy diet, and since healthy food contains good fat, she was just saying that cutting out the coconut oil capsules would be an easy way to get rid of some of the unwanted fat in my diet, without robbing myself of essential fatty acids and healthy fats in food.

In general, coconut oil *is* a great source of fat... just in my case, I don't need to be taking extra fat supplements.

But saturated fat (e.g. coconut oil, in this case) doesn't result in weight gain. That's the part that confuses me.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    YOu should get rid of the almonds/seeds instead.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

I'd second what rphlslv said, except you mention that you need the almonds & seeds due to your disability. Would you mind elaborating a bit, if it's not too personal? I'd like to know why the almonds & seeds are important. If you just need nuts and seeds in general and not specifically almonds, I'd ditch the almonds and go for macadamia nuts, which are much lower in omega-6's, and have higher levels of healthy monounsaturated fat, and are easily digested compared to almonds. Seeds, I'd go for flax.

I would also say you need more veggies in your diet. Green/red/yellow peppers (add them to your entrees), spinach, asparagus, for starters. Mushrooms are good too. What about some of the healthier fruits like blueberries, tomatoes, and best of all, avocados? Avocados are a powerhouse of good health.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    wanna loose?

Increase fat to 80%, loose the almonds and the apple and make sure you eat about 1800 cals... or no less than that. Do this for two weeks and results will start kicking in.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelA View Post
    wanna loose?

Increase fat to 80%, loose the almonds and the apple and make sure you eat about 1800 cals... or no less than that. Do this for two weeks and results will start kicking in.
    Great way to lose muscle become skinny fat.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Great way to lose muscle become skinny fat.
    How so?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast