Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating waaaay too much fat -- what to cut out? page 2

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No such thing as too much fat unless it's trans-fats or omega-6s. Hey, it worked for the Inuit, Maasai, and Tokelauans!
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Don't fear the fat.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    I'm at around 80% fat daily and have been eating this way for the past 1.5 years.

Also have been exercising hard (body weight HIIT's and sprints on most days).

Went from 38% body fat to 11% body fat.

My fat sources are from LOTS of grassfed/pastured meats/butter/eggs, LOTS of coconut milk/oil and a little macadamia nuts. Maybe once in 2 months I'll have a little raw cheese.

Guess I'm lucky.

Chefgerry is offline Senior Member
    As long as your getting enough protein, whether you use more fat or more carbs is pretty inconsequential......there's no metabolic advantage either way, but protein is very muscle sparing when faced with minimal to no exercise.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Two things-

If you're taking the coconut oil to 'support' your thyroid--forget it. If you have a thyroid issue, that's not going to help; it's just another of the coconut oil myths that pervade the Internet.

But if you have a thyroid problem, that may be the reason you're having difficulty losing weight. It's very, very common to be hypothyroid and told that you're 'normal.' (It took me 5 years to get a diagnosis, and I'm not unique). If your T3 (one of the thyroid hormones) is low, it's practically impossible to lose weight.

Check out the Stop the Thyroid Madness website OR look at the Thyroid section on low carb friends. Both places will explain why it is so difficult to find a doctor who understands how to diagnose and treat thyroid.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Hey Kate,

I do best when I'm getting about 50% of my cals from fat. Personally, I'd ditch a lot of the coconut oil and just rely on fat that occurs in food.

How many cals are you taking in? Mark's wife is a great example for the women I think. She eats approx 2000 cals per day but works out like a fiend and has a higher proportion of LBM than most of us so she needs more cals. ftmp, most women will need less than 2000 kcal per day.

also keep in mind that fitday has some major errors in their nutrient profiles of some items and I've noticed errors with their algorithm as well.

I'd recommend dailyburn or nutritiondata.com as better, more accurate, options.

1 oz. raw almonds & raw seeds
    5 oz roasted chicken (divided between breakfast & lunch)
    1 cup raw veggies (usually cauliflower)
    1 apple
    2 cups cooked veggies (usually broccoli)
    2 oz. roast beef (dinner)
    10 g fish oil
    10 g coconut oil
    8 g lecithin

Would simply eliminating, or minimizing, the coconut oil be the way to go? I take it because it's supposed to help the thyroid (and I believe that mine is sluggish), it's good for bone health (a serious concern of mine), and for the other reasons we're all familiar with.
    ditch the coconut oil for sure.

bone health = sufficient vitamin D, vitamin K, zinc, a tiny amount of preformed A, calcium and magnesium.....and a teeny bit of boron.
    bone health ≠ coconut oil

Lecithin is good for the brain & neuromuscular system, which is particularly important to me, and is supposed to be excellent for liver health, which is also a concern of mine.
    Mine too. You might want to read the first entry in my journal. I've overcome some very serious stuff.

What I see:
    1)how much vitamin D are you getting (see my links below)
    2)you need more protein - at least .5g per lb *lean body mass* (do you have the book handy?)
    3)50-100g carbs
    4)sufficient fat to make up the rest of your cals - keeping in mind that with your lower level of activity, you need less cals.....

I get plenty of fat just from food (incl some avocado) and evvo for dressing veggies, and fish oil and don't really need to add fat in other ways. I do eat raw coconut meat/water blended together - about 2-4T per day in a smoothie but again, it's food fat rather than free/extra fat.
    Last edited by cillakat; 06-05-2010 at 04:34 AM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate View Post

10 g fish oil
    10 g coconut oil
    8 g lecithin
    Other things to consider: bone marrow rather than lecithin (though I too take some lecithin for mood stability issues). Bone marrow is a nutritional powerhouse and contains lecithin.

What about getting some of the fish oil from fish rather than oil. The Seychelles Child Development study pretty clearly showed that we needn't be worried about fish toxins as long as we eat high selenium fish and not whale

What fish oil are you taking? Can you move to a more concentrated one so that you don't need so much? I realize that it may not be possible. Right now I'm taking 6g fish oil per day yielding 2gEPA/2gDHA so I do understand the need for a high intake of LCΩ3.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all of the insights, everyone.

>> How many calories is that? It doesn't look like much food at all...
    I calculated a few permutations of my typical daily food intake, and it varied between ~1200 and 1500 kcal.

>> It's very, very common to be hypothyroid and told that you're 'normal.' (It took me 5 years to get a diagnosis, and I'm not unique). If your T3 (one of the thyroid hormones) is low, it's practically impossible to lose weight.
    >> Check out the Stop the Thyroid Madness website OR look at the Thyroid section on low carb friends. Both places will explain why it is so difficult to find a doctor who understands how to diagnose and treat thyroid.
    Awesome -- I'll be sure to check this out.

>> How many cals are you taking in? Mark's wife is a great example for the women I think. She eats approx 2000 cals per day but works out like a fiend and has a higher proportion of LBM than most of us so she needs more cals. ftmp, most women will need less than 2000 kcal per day.
    yeah, given that I can barely walk and that most of my 'activity' comes from doing a modified walking-in-place for maybe an hour per day, I definitely am not in the same calorie-intake league as active people.

>> What fish oil are you taking? Can you move to a more concentrated one so that you don't need so much? I realize that it may not be possible. Right now I'm taking 6g fish oil per day yielding 2gEPA/2gDHA so I do understand the need for a high intake of LCΩ3.

I take Life Extension Foundation's Super Omega-3 EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract. It was the least-expensive, IFOS (International Fish Oil Standards) 5-star rated product that I could find. 2 capsules of this product contains 2 g of wild fish oil concentrate, including 700 mg EPA and 500 mg DHA. Actually, I had been counting only the amount of EPA & DHA in these caps, in my FitDay rundown; I assumed 10 g, but actually, I consume 16 capsules per day to get the 10 g of EPA/DHA. I can't figure out how to modify my FitDay food account to adjust this, but obviously, my % of fat intake will be even higher...

I appreciate all of the input. For those who recommended eating even more protein or fat, I'm afraid that that probably won't work for me; I already have very, very low appetite most of the time due to my high fat intake, and I refuse to force myself to eat when I'm not hungry. At one point, I attempted to up my fish oil intake to the neighborhood of 25 g per day (because I had read accounts by Dr. Barry Sears, of Zone Diet fame, who said that people with severe neurological problems could benefit from such high doses), but I found that I literally had no appetite left for food at all, which presented some obvious problems (including the fact that you're supposed to take fish oil *with* food, not *instead of* food).

Lots to think about, thanks again.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 06-05-2010 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by healthseekerKate
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat
    What fish oil are you taking? Can you move to a more concentrated one so that you don't need so much? I realize that it may not be possible. Right now I'm taking 6g fish oil per day yielding 2gEPA/2gDHA so I do understand the need for a high intake of LCΩ3.
    I take Life Extension Foundation's Super Omega-3 EPA/DHA with Sesame Lignans & Olive Fruit Extract. It was the least-expensive, IFOS (International Fish Oil Standards) 5-star rated product that I could find. 2 capsules of this product contains 2 g of wild fish oil concentrate, including 700 mg EPA and 500 mg DHA..
    So let's see, each g fish fat offers 350mg EPA and 250 mg DHA. There are definitely other supplements out there that may be better for your situation.

First and formost, keep in mind that virtually all human grade fish oil supplements currently on the market, are molecularly distilled and have the same level of purity. There is no reason to pay more for various certifications (IFOS) or brand names (ie NN etc). Only a few mfgs in the world are procesing fish oil, it just all gets labeled for the myriad of vendors individually.

I too used to take 16g fish oil based on Stoll's bipolar study - while I wasn't bipolar, my adhd and anxiety had major morbidity....and enough symptoms of bipolar to make me think "hmmm, I should try this".

Of very interesting note, from wild fish, we'd be getting more DHA than EPA. While we all think of EPA as being the critical component for inflammation, know that the big push for isolating EPA and it's action comes from the desire to have a higher degree of patentability coming out of clinical trials. The real deal, is that when getting enough DHA, we convert it readily to EPA. It generally makes the most sense to supply the raw materials and let the body do what it does.

I really like Now DHA-500...it has *per cap* 500mg dha and 250 mg epa. I also keep another higher epa fish oil on hand to take irregularly, randomly varying my DHA:EPA intake while always favoring DHA. Links are in my sig line.

Are you current on the MS/Vitamin D literature? Including the newer info showing that UV exposure has benefits of it's own - separate from the vitamin D issue? We know vitamin D lowers inflammation massively. Proper dosing took my chronically high crp - 5.4 down to .1-.2.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    if i were you i would cut the apple before the nuts, and try 2-3 weeks eating in a surplus....seems like not enough food...and maybe switch roast beef to ribs and chicken to....well any beef maybe try broth marrow

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast