Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gaining mass on paleo?

Hybrid View

gaining mass on paleo?

I know most people in the paleo sphere poo poo gaining mass and size in favor of lean functional muscle, but recently I've really wanted to put on about 15 pounds of muscle. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 225, and I'm about 80/20 paleo compliant.

I'm wondering if just upping my protein and maybe adding sweet potatoes would meet my nutrition goals? I'm still researching the basics of serious weight training, so any input would be appreciated.
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Yeah, it basically boils down to "Eat more, lift weights, be patient".

Sent via F-22 Raptor

225 is fat for your height. And weighing more than that is unnatural. Do you plan on taking steroids? Because that's the only way you're going to get heavier than that, providing you actually want to be at least reasonably lean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    225 is fat for your height. And weighing more than that is unnatural. Do you plan on taking steroids? Because that's the only way you're going to get heavier than that, providing you actually want to be at least reasonably lean.
    225 is a good starting point if the dude wants to really get big and strong. It means he's created a hormonal environment conducive to growth. If he has any kind of muscle mass on his frame at all, he's not fat at 225 lbs at 6'2.

OP- Yeah, adding starches and way more food in general are the "secrets" to growth, but you may find that you need to add back some non- or borderline- primal items that facilitate over-eating (peanut butter, ice cream, and whole milk, for examples). I hope it's easier for you than it is for me.

To throw in a quote from Gorbag's favorite strength training guru:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    "For weight-gaining purposes, "eating clean" is not a useful concept. Big Macs are." and "You cannot get big and strong on 3000 kcal/day. And you cannot eat 7000/day and eat perfectly "clean".

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    225 is a good starting point if the dude wants to really get big and strong. It means he's created a hormonal environment conducive to growth. If he has any kind of muscle mass on his frame at all, he's not fat at 225 lbs at 6'2.
    Arnold Swarzenegger is 6'2" and used to compete at 235 lbs. That required steroids.

So if one is interested in being drug free, strip all the fat away and they aren't going to weigh that much. Translation: A natural 225 lbs at 6'2" is fat.

There are a few guys out there who made up equations to determine ones genetic potential; they are based on height and statistics of top natural bodybuilders, people who you'd expect to reach their genetic potential. So they are quite accurate. Plug in the numbers for anyone you know of who has been training hard for years, and you'll see what I mean. They are surprisingly accurate.

Anyways, the predictions at 6'2" would bring you to around 195 lbs at 5% body fat. At 225 lbs, that'd leave one at around 17% at best. And it ain't going to get any better than that without drugs.

Arnold Swarzenegger is 6'2" and used to compete at 235 lbs. That required steroids.

So if one is interested in being drug free, strip all the fat away and they aren't going to weigh that much. Translation: A natural 225 lbs at 6'2" is fat.

There are a few guys out there who made up equations to determine ones genetic potential; they are based on height and statistics of top natural bodybuilders, people who you'd expect to reach their genetic potential. So they are quite accurate. Plug in the numbers for anyone you know of who has been training hard for years, and you'll see what I mean. They are surprisingly accurate.

Anyways, the predictions at 6'2" would bring you to around 195 lbs at 5% body fat. At 225 lbs, that'd leave one at around 17% at best. And it ain't going to get any better than that without drugs.

So anyone with a higher bodyfat percentage than Arnold Schwarzenegger was at the time of a bodybuilding competition is fat? 17% body fat isn't fat, dude. Especially on a big fella.

You're apparently an anorexic girl who cares too much about her abs. Some of us, on the other hand, aspire to be big, strong, bear-like creatures known colloquially as "men."

So anyone with a higher bodyfat percentage than Arnold Schwarzenegger was at the time of a bodybuilding competition is fat? 17% body fat isn't fat, dude. Especially on a big fella.
    Only according to USA standards where everyone is a big fella AKA fat slob. May I remind you that the obesity rate is 66%? Try leaving the country for a while, then coming back, and we'll see if you still think the same. Being fat isn't normal. It's sick and unhealthy.

You're apparently an anorexic girl who cares too much about her abs.
    Hi, I've benched 320 raw before, squatted over 400, and deadlift 455 lbs. Not bad. At a much leaner/lighter weight now, and older, I've still squated 315x5, deadlifted 390x3, and bench kind of sucks (low 200's). Still not bad for a 35 year old.

Some of us, on the other hand, aspire to be big, strong, bear-like creatures known colloquially as "men."
    Women don't like fat guys or freaky guys on steroids. They like naturally lean guys who aren't disgusting fat slobs. And yes, you can still be strong without looking like Jabba the Hut. And yes, you can still be quite muscular without being that heavy. Take Martin Barkhan for example. He's around 6'1" (if I recall) and weighs in the low 190's and really is quite the freak at that weight.
    https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=m...A4KOrQeL8IDQAQ

Martin benches 300, deadlifts over 600, and squats over 400. And he looks pretty freaky to me at that weight. With his shirt on he looks rather thin, because muscle weighs A LOT more than fat.

Thanks.

Haha. Love the bro science. 6'2 at 225 does not mean someone is fat.
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
    Haha. Love the bro science. 6'2 at 225 does not mean someone is fat.
    Right. If they're on steroids they can get that big and lean. But not naturally.

Bro science? I thought that was supposed to be a term used to make fun of guys who were just going by he said she said, but I guess I was wrong. I take it now people just use it to bash others when they think they are right but can't come up with a rational explanation why? And calling "bro science" is supposed to magically make you right?

I think I did my homework on the subject matter quite well.

If you really think what I am saying is bro science, then can you please come up with at least one case where a person got to be 225 lbs at 6'2" and a reasonably low body fat percentage without taking steroids? You can't. And no, 17% is not reasonably lean, it's fat.