Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: gaining mass on paleo? page

Jer37208 is offline Member

gaining mass on paleo?

I know most people in the paleo sphere poo poo gaining mass and size in favor of lean functional muscle, but recently I've really wanted to put on about 15 pounds of muscle. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 225, and I'm about 80/20 paleo compliant.

I'm wondering if just upping my protein and maybe adding sweet potatoes would meet my nutrition goals? I'm still researching the basics of serious weight training, so any input would be appreciated.
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it basically boils down to "Eat more, lift weights, be patient".

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    225 is fat for your height. And weighing more than that is unnatural. Do you plan on taking steroids? Because that's the only way you're going to get heavier than that, providing you actually want to be at least reasonably lean.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    225 is fat for your height. And weighing more than that is unnatural. Do you plan on taking steroids? Because that's the only way you're going to get heavier than that, providing you actually want to be at least reasonably lean.
    225 is a good starting point if the dude wants to really get big and strong. It means he's created a hormonal environment conducive to growth. If he has any kind of muscle mass on his frame at all, he's not fat at 225 lbs at 6'2.

OP- Yeah, adding starches and way more food in general are the "secrets" to growth, but you may find that you need to add back some non- or borderline- primal items that facilitate over-eating (peanut butter, ice cream, and whole milk, for examples). I hope it's easier for you than it is for me.

To throw in a quote from Gorbag's favorite strength training guru:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    "For weight-gaining purposes, "eating clean" is not a useful concept. Big Macs are." and "You cannot get big and strong on 3000 kcal/day. And you cannot eat 7000/day and eat perfectly "clean".

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    225 is a good starting point if the dude wants to really get big and strong. It means he's created a hormonal environment conducive to growth. If he has any kind of muscle mass on his frame at all, he's not fat at 225 lbs at 6'2.
    Arnold Swarzenegger is 6'2" and used to compete at 235 lbs. That required steroids.

So if one is interested in being drug free, strip all the fat away and they aren't going to weigh that much. Translation: A natural 225 lbs at 6'2" is fat.

There are a few guys out there who made up equations to determine ones genetic potential; they are based on height and statistics of top natural bodybuilders, people who you'd expect to reach their genetic potential. So they are quite accurate. Plug in the numbers for anyone you know of who has been training hard for years, and you'll see what I mean. They are surprisingly accurate.

Anyways, the predictions at 6'2" would bring you to around 195 lbs at 5% body fat. At 225 lbs, that'd leave one at around 17% at best. And it ain't going to get any better than that without drugs.

Arnold Swarzenegger is 6'2" and used to compete at 235 lbs. That required steroids.

So if one is interested in being drug free, strip all the fat away and they aren't going to weigh that much. Translation: A natural 225 lbs at 6'2" is fat.

There are a few guys out there who made up equations to determine ones genetic potential; they are based on height and statistics of top natural bodybuilders, people who you'd expect to reach their genetic potential. So they are quite accurate. Plug in the numbers for anyone you know of who has been training hard for years, and you'll see what I mean. They are surprisingly accurate.

Anyways, the predictions at 6'2" would bring you to around 195 lbs at 5% body fat. At 225 lbs, that'd leave one at around 17% at best. And it ain't going to get any better than that without drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post

So anyone with a higher bodyfat percentage than Arnold Schwarzenegger was at the time of a bodybuilding competition is fat? 17% body fat isn't fat, dude. Especially on a big fella.

You're apparently an anorexic girl who cares too much about her abs. Some of us, on the other hand, aspire to be big, strong, bear-like creatures known colloquially as "men."

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    I'm a good couple of inches shorter than you and weigh under 180 lbs in this pic.

An extra 45 lbs of muscle is a bloody lot !

For sure you could hit 225 lb and look like a big strong guy but I highly doubt you would still have visible abs,not naturally anyway unless you have some kick ass genetics !

Ps. Sorry about the pants !
    Last edited by OldSchhool; 09-10-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Where did the dude say he cares about abs, glittery g-strings, or brown body paint?!

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Where did the dude say he cares about abs, glittery g-strings, or brown body paint?!
    Hahaha...true, I was going by the other peoples posts and didn't read his fully !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast