Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: gaining mass on paleo? page 5

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Personally I don't care much about my size; I just want to be big enough to scare off the powerlifter guys when doing dumbbell curl inside the power rack...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    I'm on the other end of the spectrum, at 6'3 240 and about 22% body fat, hoping to get sub-20. I've been very slowly cutting for about 2 months, and now that I've upped the carbs and cut the fat I am getting there without losing my hard earned gains.

Also, Jer3728, I assumed since RM and Quikky were posting it had already been prescribed, but Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe would be the perfect book for you. Don't try to just figure it out via the internet, buy it and learn the lifts. Your diet plus some milk should quickly fill out your suit nicely.

I started SS much like you, around ~215lbs of bodyweight. Admittedly, my diet of Fast Food and milk made me fatter. However, my body fat % stayed roughly the same, and I gained nearly 20lbs of LBM in 8 months. It was a bad ratio of fat gain for sure, but now I realize it was worth taking a pathetic untrained 95lb squat up towards a respectable number.
    Last edited by Dickson; 09-10-2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: I originally wrote "diet of McDonalds and milk", but I have to be honest: I didn't discriminate

Jer37208 is offline Member
    Thanks Dickson, just ordered it on Amazon
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer37208 View Post
    Thanks Dickson, just ordered it on Amazon
    Good decision.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Good decision.
    +1. No matter what Gorbag says.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    +1. No matter what Gorbag says.
    I'm sure it'll be the usual Rippetoe boner soup with a side of Hatorade.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I'm sure it'll be the usual Rippetoe boner soup with a side of Hatorade.
    Haters gonna hate, nuthuggers gonna nuthug. That's just the nature of things around here.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    OP, you're fat and need to lose some weight. But don't worry - it's quite possible to lose fat and look like someone who works out. The guy in the picture below is slightly taller than you and 35 pounds lighter.

/thread

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer37208 View Post
    I know most people in the paleo sphere poo poo gaining mass and size in favor of lean functional muscle, but recently I've really wanted to put on about 15 pounds of muscle. I'm 6'2" and weigh about 225, and I'm about 80/20 paleo compliant.

I'm wondering if just upping my protein and maybe adding sweet potatoes would meet my nutrition goals? I'm still researching the basics of serious weight training, so any input would be appreciated.
    This is what bodybuilding legend Mike Mentzer said about protein needs for gaining muscle:

To quote the man himself:

"Protein requirements depend almost entirely on your body weight, not your level of physical activity, because it is not used as fuel as long as the body′s energy supply is adequate. The rule of thumb is one gram of protein per day for every two pounds of bodyweight. There is no reason to buy expensive supplements since the amount of protein can be obtained from any well-balanced diet that includes meat, fish, or dairy products. I maintain my weight at about 220 pounds and consume about 60 grams of protein a day, less than recommended for my weight, and I′m still growing muscle.

As I said before, muscle growth is a very slow process. On a daily basis it really can′t be detected at all. A ten-pound gain in a year would amount to less than half an ounce a day.

How much protein beyond maintenance requirements would you need to gain a half ounce of muscle a day? Approximately 1 gram, the amount in one ounce of whole milk, an eight of an ounce of tuna, or a half slice of bacon. You can even get that 1 gram from a single carrot. Yet this extra protein would be enough to build ten pounds of muscle a year.

Think about that the next time you make an investment in a can of a protein supplement".

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    And one from Ellington Darden:

" In 1970, I had a story to tell. After being a competitive athlete and bodybuilder for 20 years, and after consuming tons of expensive nutrient pills, I clearly saw that most of the money I spent on food supplements was wasted. I realized this as a result of being challenged in my nutritional practices by Dr. Harold Schendel Professor in the Food and Nutrition Department at Florida State University. Here′s what happened.

For two months, I kept precise records of my dietary intake, of my energy expenditure, and of my general well-being. All my urine was collected and analyzed by a graduate research team in nutrition science.

Believe me, it was a real inconvenience to have to pee in a large brown bottle, which I carried around with me all day long in a paper sack. It was even more tedious to test my urine scientifically for various vitamins, minerals, and protein content.

But I figured it would be worth it. Once and for all I′d be able to prove to the doubting scientists of nutrition that most athletes require massive amounts of essential nutrients.

Boy, was I wrong!

The results of the study showed that my body was sloughing off, or excreting, large amounts of water soluble vitamins, proteins, and other nutrients. Worse than that, it was also determined that since I had been consuming massive doses for many years, I had forced my liver and kidneys to grow excessively large to handle the influx of all these nutrients. You may desire your muscles to grow excessively large, but you don′t want this to happen to your liver and kidneys. Physicians say that doing so can lead to several medical complications and eventually shorten your life span.

Anyway, after studying and understanding the implications of what I was doing to the insides of my body, I made a complete turnaround. I wanted to tell my story to other athletes like me. I wanted to get the word out especially to bodybuilders and weightlifters-who read the muscle magazines and flashy advertisements-and purchased the recommended food supplements and gobbled them down.

Protein Requirements

The biggest misconception 20 years ago, and still the biggest misconception today, is the belief that heavy weight training requires massive dietary protein intake.

When my urine was analyzed at Flordia State University in 1970, I was consuming 380 grams of protein per day. Approximately half of the protein came from a 90 percent protein powder.

Why did I consume so much protein? Because I had read repeatedly in muscle magazines that that′s what all the champions ate: from 300-400 grams of protein a day.

Yet, Dr. Schendel kept tellin me that the RDA for protein is .36 grams per pund of bodyweight. Thus, at that time at a body weight of 215lbs., my protein requirement was 77 grams per day.

The results of the study proved that Dr. Schendel was right, and that RDA was accurate. Most of the protein I was eating was being broken down and excreted through my kidneys.

Even though a few recent studies have shown that a slight increase in the RDA for protein may benefit some athletes, the extra calories that most athletes normally consume more than compensate for those additions."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345