Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: gaining mass on paleo? page 4

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    The worst is the choice to be weak in the pursuit of low body fat. I know a guy who is 5'10", who frequently asks me about strength training. My response is that he needs to work with barbells and eat more. He doesn't want to gain weight. He weighs 158lb and squats 130lb x 5.
    Yeah, that's just plain pathetically weak. What size clothes does he wear? XS-tall? Eww.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Hey, I'm like 5'10" and 157 or so, but I'm not small and pathetically weak! Not much body fat, but that's just how I roll.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Hey, I'm like 5'10" and 157 or so, but I'm not small and pathetically weak! Not much body fat, but that's just how I roll.
    I'm 5'7 and 159, probably closer to 15% than 20, and I squat in the low 300's for sets of 5 across. 130 lbs isn't even 1 plate. Anybody who makes me look strong by comparison is a weak sister indeed.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I'm 5'7 and 159, probably closer to 15% than 20, and I squat in the low 300's for sets of 5 across. 130 lbs isn't even 1 plate. Anybody who makes me look strong by comparison is a weak sister indeed.
    We sometimes (he doesn't lift often) lift in the same gym, and I work in with him when he is doing squats to do my overhead press warm-up. It's just silly.

Another dude I know used to lift with me, and he went from 130lb to ~141lb in bodyweight. At that point he decided he was too fat, stopped lifting completely, stopped eating like before, and just switched to cardio. He is fairly short, but to think you're fat as a 141lb man is... WTF! He finished his strength training with a 105lb bench press (1RM), which of course, makes him too strong.

I just don't get how in a grown man's head, it makes sense to be as strong as an athletic teenage girl, just to have low body fat around the stomach. Nevermind the fact that you need your girlfriend's/wife's help to carry a heavy box, hey, you have abz.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    We sometimes (he doesn't lift often) lift in the same gym, and I work in with him when he is doing squats to do my overhead press warm-up. It's just silly.

Another dude I know used to lift with me, and he went from 130lb to ~141lb in bodyweight. At that point he decided he was too fat, stopped lifting completely, stopped eating like before, and just switched to cardio. He is fairly short, but to think you're fat as a 141lb man is... WTF! He finished his strength training with a 105lb bench press (1RM), which of course, makes him too strong.

I just don't get how in a grown man's head, it makes sense to be as strong as an athletic teenage girl, just to have low body fat around the stomach. Nevermind the fact that you need your girlfriend's/wife's help to carry a heavy box, hey, you have abz.
    Keep these stories coming. I'm feeling strong reading them.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    I'll be the first to admit that I'm still a bit chubby. With the small amount of weight training I have been doing, my limbs have filled out decently, but I still carry some fat through the belly, chest, neck. That's why I want to start lifting heavy and put on muscle to sort of balance myself out.

From what I'm hearing, continuing to eat paleo, adding good carbs, and the occasional cheat day will suit my nutritional needs?
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Jer37208 is offline Member
    I guess I should add that I don't want to look like a bodybuilder or anything, but I would like to look like someone that works out when I'm wearing a suit. (if that makes sense)
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Dickson is online now Senior Member
    If you are 6'2, 225 is pretty good bench mark. My amateur estimation is that men should aim to be around 3lbs per inch of height for strength/utility purposes. So a short 5' guy should be around 180lbs, and a big guy at 7' should be around 252lbs. A 75 inch 6'3 guy will be filled out well at 225lbs. If you are a guy like RichMahogany and compete in a fighting sport that requires a weight class, it's probably optimal to be less. 15% body fat is also probably the gold standard for year round utility purposes. Allows for enough strength and size to handle your affairs, but you can still take your shirt off at the beach without scaring the children (provided you aren't as pale as Casper).

If carrying a couple extra pounds for the goal of strength loses you a potential mate, find a better one.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Keep these stories coming. I'm feeling strong reading them.
    How about the Gym Douche of the Year award recipient:

I had a squat, bench, chin workout day. I was at a big commercial gym working out with my friend, using the squat rack. We finished with the squats, and it was time for bench.

This gym has three flat benches, two of which were in use. The one in the middle had a guy sitting on it, with no weight on the bar. We decided to wait a bit to see if he's starting to warm up. He got up and started doing fast half-curls (from bottom to 90 degrees) with the bar. I glanced at my friend. Let's ask this gentleman about the bench...

"Hey, are you using the bench?"
    "Yes"
    "Are you going to bench?"
    "No, I am doing supersets"
    "...Okay... How many sets do you have left"
    "Two"
    "..."

Get this, he then gets up from the bench where he was doing his half-curls, walks over to the chest press machine, and starts doing fast half presses on the machine! For this, he gets the Gym Douche of the Year award.

I later saw him do fast half-shrugs with 225lb and wrist straps. He's awesome.

3 lbs per inch is a pretty common standard for maximizing leverages on the joints, Dickson, so you're right on target there. I'm currently pushing the bodyfat to 16-20% (well, trying to) as a temporary measure to facilitate muscle gains, but I agree, I'd be happy "walking around" in the 15% range when I get my body weight up to a decent level.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast