Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: gaining mass on paleo? page 2

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Arnold Swarzenegger is 6'2" and used to compete at 235 lbs. That required steroids.

So if one is interested in being drug free, strip all the fat away and they aren't going to weigh that much. Translation: A natural 225 lbs at 6'2" is fat.

There are a few guys out there who made up equations to determine ones genetic potential; they are based on height and statistics of top natural bodybuilders, people who you'd expect to reach their genetic potential. So they are quite accurate. Plug in the numbers for anyone you know of who has been training hard for years, and you'll see what I mean. They are surprisingly accurate.

Anyways, the predictions at 6'2" would bring you to around 195 lbs at 5% body fat. At 225 lbs, that'd leave one at around 17% at best. And it ain't going to get any better than that without drugs.

Haha. Love the bro science. 6'2 at 225 does not mean someone is fat.
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchhool View Post
    Hahaha...true, I was going by the other peoples posts and didn't read his fully !
    You got a good sense of humor, OldSchhool.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    So anyone with a higher bodyfat percentage than Arnold Schwarzenegger was at the time of a bodybuilding competition is fat? 17% body fat isn't fat, dude. Especially on a big fella.
    Only according to USA standards where everyone is a big fella AKA fat slob. May I remind you that the obesity rate is 66%? Try leaving the country for a while, then coming back, and we'll see if you still think the same. Being fat isn't normal. It's sick and unhealthy.

You're apparently an anorexic girl who cares too much about her abs.
    Hi, I've benched 320 raw before, squatted over 400, and deadlift 455 lbs. Not bad. At a much leaner/lighter weight now, and older, I've still squated 315x5, deadlifted 390x3, and bench kind of sucks (low 200's). Still not bad for a 35 year old.

Some of us, on the other hand, aspire to be big, strong, bear-like creatures known colloquially as "men."
    Women don't like fat guys or freaky guys on steroids. They like naturally lean guys who aren't disgusting fat slobs. And yes, you can still be strong without looking like Jabba the Hut. And yes, you can still be quite muscular without being that heavy. Take Martin Barkhan for example. He's around 6'1" (if I recall) and weighs in the low 190's and really is quite the freak at that weight.
    https://www.google.com.ph/search?q=m...A4KOrQeL8IDQAQ

Martin benches 300, deadlifts over 600, and squats over 400. And he looks pretty freaky to me at that weight. With his shirt on he looks rather thin, because muscle weighs A LOT more than fat.

Thanks.

Power Hawk is offline Junior Member
    I just want to reinforce the notion that 225 at 6'2 is not fat. My two cents would be to consider GOMAD. Put on the weight and muscle you need and take the fat off later.

Power Hawk is offline Junior Member
    Sorry to post twice in a row, new at this, but if you are researching serious weight training, I would suggest Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
    Haha. Love the bro science. 6'2 at 225 does not mean someone is fat.
    Right. If they're on steroids they can get that big and lean. But not naturally.

Bro science? I thought that was supposed to be a term used to make fun of guys who were just going by he said she said, but I guess I was wrong. I take it now people just use it to bash others when they think they are right but can't come up with a rational explanation why? And calling "bro science" is supposed to magically make you right?

I think I did my homework on the subject matter quite well.

If you really think what I am saying is bro science, then can you please come up with at least one case where a person got to be 225 lbs at 6'2" and a reasonably low body fat percentage without taking steroids? You can't. And no, 17% is not reasonably lean, it's fat.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Only according to USA standards where everyone is a big fella AKA fat slob. May I remind you that the obesity rate is 66%? Try leaving the country for a while, then coming back, and we'll see if you still think the same. Being fat isn't normal. It's sick and unhealthy.
    Again, 225 @ 6'2 with a decent amount of muscle mass isn't fat. You are wrong on this point. 17% body fat isn't obese.

Hi, I've benched 320 raw before, squatted over 400, and deadlift 455 lbs. Not bad. At a much leaner/lighter weight now, and older, I've still squated 315x5, deadlifted 390x3, and bench kind of sucks (low 200's). Still not bad for a 35 year old.
    So you were big and strong once and decided to give that up in the name of abs. That's your choice. Don't project it on the OP, who was looking on advice on getting bigger, not asking if he was lean enough in your eyes.

Women don't like fat guys or freaky guys on steroids. They like naturally lean guys who aren't disgusting fat slobs. And yes, you can still be strong without looking like Jabba the Hut. And yes, you can still be quite muscular without being that heavy. Take Martin Barkhan for example. He's around 6'1" (if I recall) and weighs in the low 190's and really is quite the freak at that weight...

Martin benches 300, deadlifts over 600, and squats over 400. And he looks pretty freaky to me at that weight. With his shirt on he looks rather thin, because muscle weighs A LOT more than fat.

Thanks.
    And you think if Martin Berkhan blew up to 17% body fat that he'd be obese? You are right that most Americans are overweight, but they're also completely untrained. For a man who wants to be big and strong, who doesn't care about bodybuilding competitions or visible abs, 17% or even 22% body fat is A-okay.

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    I know the OP never even mentioned doing it to appeal to women, heck he might not even be attracted to women !

But as some mentioned what women find attractive I'll just add that in a recent post on this forum many female members found this pic I posted to be too muscular and too ripped !!!

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I am 6'2, 216 and 9 % body fat! Two years ago I was a fat slob weighing in at 246 pound...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Hey, I am 6'2, 216 and 9 % body fat! Two years ago I was a fat slob weighing in at 246 pound...
    You are just a genetic freak though !

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast