Thread: 2 Workouts per day. How do you split them? page

plindsey206 is offline Junior Member

2 Workouts per day. How do you split them?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you've got a day where you have multiple sports/training sessions that land on the same day, how should one go about splitting them? (Morning/Evening, Strength/Cardio, Running/Crossfit)?

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't ever do 2 workouts per day. I suppose unless I was training for a specific sport such as football. And in that case, I'd try to fit it in the best I could. For example, if I had practice every day, I would try to fit 2 weight training sessions in per week where ever I could, morning or night.

Why only 2 weight training sessions? I really am convinced that's all you need.

evertastica is offline Member
    It's all dependent on your schedule and level of fitness in my opinion.
    I have two practices a day 3-5 days of the week and 1 practice on some days.

I try and keep weight lifting far away as possible from running (they don't mix well for me). That means on Saturdays (full rest day Sunday) after I've done cardio I will do weight training. Morning sessions for me are usually cardio and core based, afternoons more sprint and bodyweight training.

vegasvics is offline Junior Member
    I do full-body workouts Tues, Thurs, Sat. On those days I lift in the morning and will go back for cardio (swimming or treadmill) in the late afternoon. Mon, Wed, Fri are cardio days, I'll do a single HIIT session in the AM. Sundays are usually an off day, or I'll do a long steady-state cardio session (trail biking).

diene is offline Senior Member
    When I was training for a 10-mile race, I would crossfit in the morning and run at night. The reverse actually works better for me (running in the morning and crossfitting at night), but it was hard for me to make it to crossfit in the evenings because the last level 1 class at my box starts at 5:30. That's a bit early for me to get off work. I could swing it every once in a while but not all the time. So I made do.

It was brutal though. I was constantly on the verge of overtraining. If you're going to work out that much, make sure you get plenty of sleep. 10 hours or more would be best.

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    What are your goals?

My current 2 a day schedule looks something like the below. I train 5 days a week but these are only my double days:

Mon/Wed - 6am: Air-dyne/row/Jump rope work
    6pm: Heavy compound lifts (Think SS movements)

Tues - 6am: Crossfit WOD
    6pm: Lift heavy

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Always do your heaviest session in the morning. This way you're getting the benefit of higher T-levels plus elevated T-levels for the rest of the day. Also, first thing you have more energy than you will later in the day.

BuffaloGrok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Always do your heaviest session in the morning. This way you're getting the benefit of higher T-levels plus elevated T-levels for the rest of the day. Also, first thing you have more energy than you will later in the day.
    All depends on the goals. I'm trying to cut a bit of fat so morning, fasted cardio and HIIT work is better suited for that goal. I've experimented with heavy weights in the am vs pm and honestly have only made marginal observations in overall strength gains.
    My Leangains Journey

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

Roderickss is offline Junior Member
    If you're going to work out that much, make sure you get plenty of sleep. At least 8 hours. That means on Sunday after I've done cardio I will do weight training.

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloGrok View Post
    All depends on the goals. I'm trying to cut a bit of fat so morning, fasted cardio and HIIT work is better suited for that goal. I've experimented with heavy weights in the am vs pm and honestly have only made marginal observations in overall strength gains.
    I have to disagree. I understand where you're coming from but really all you're doing is manipulating your feeding time. Higher cortisol levels in the a.m. and higher test levels in the morning are more conducive to strength gains and fat loss than doing cardio or HIT in the morning. Train your strength and increase muscle mass in the day time then do your cardio / HIT in the evening.

If you're looking to loose some body fat minimize your carb intake to two feedings. One after your heavy work out (primary) and after your cardio/HIT (secondary) work outs. Your primary feeding should be your largest.