Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I make a non-primal listen, or atleast not judge me page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

*Warning: Long rant ahead*

Ok, so many of you already know about the debate my husband and I have. He's a physician/ researcher/ academic who flat out refuses to even listen to my side of the story. When I talk to him about GCBC, he says he doesn't care for "unpublished references" nor references that are not printed in "high-impact journals". He says, "It's just not worth my time." "I'm a SCIENTIST - maybe you can fool your friends with non-science background with all your talk, but this is my career, please don't waste your time or mine!" He doesn't even want to listen to my side of the story. "It's stupid to lose weight at the cost of getting athersclerosis" And I'm not even doing this for weight-loss (I'm about 10 lb above my ideal). It make's me mad and helpless.

I know many of you have been extremely supportive and going out of your way to send strong references along my way, just felt the need to rant here.

Agnieszka Guest

That wasn't too long of a rant at all. :-)

I have doctors and scientists in my close family and I'm in an Ph.D. program, so I empathize.

A couple of things come to mind:

1. The change in your health, mental and bodily, might be the best argument for your husband--and for you, too. It sounds as though trying to convince him by other means might be counterproductive for a while, if only from the standpoint of your well-being. The ability to relax is, after all, part of a healthy lifestyle.

My own strategy is changing my own eating and exercise habits and allowing my family to ask about the results, if and when they become visible. When they do, I'll point them to Taubes's book and this blog and signal that I'm not interested in changing their minds.

2. While it sounds as though more discussion may not be the best thing for you at this time, when you do talk about this issue again with your husband, perhaps he can appreciate the fact that the numerous sources in Taubes's book--pointing to the benefits of low-carb lifestyle--*have* indeed been published in "high-impact journals."

Agnieszka Guest

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Simply put- BE the proof.

Nick Guest

Science is not dogma, and it's not afraid of being tested or challenged. You might let him know he's not actually a scientist. GCBC is certainly not a bunch of unpublished, low impact references.

My wife's a Ph.D. biologist, and no matter how crazy what I'm talking about is, she'll listen to me and give it an honest hearing and go read the literature if necessary.

shastagirl Guest

no offense but your husband sounds like a poor "scientist". the object of science is the pursuit of facts and truth, from hypothesizing and theorizing followed by experimentation, then finally drawing conclusions based on observations. at least this is my interpretation of true science. closing your mind to any theory or hypothesis that is untested, or tested by certain members to have found reasonable healthful benefits is not very scientific at all.

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

I would quit trying to convince him. Sounds like the more you try to talk to him about it, the more adamant he becomes. Let yourself be the example- perhaps next time you get your cholesterol done you could share that with him. I know my mom freaked out that I was eating so many eggs but when I told her how low my cholesterol numbers were she calmed down a bit. The proof is in the pudding, so to speak.

grandma is offline Member

talk about the weather.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

@Agnieszka: If, for a moment, he forgets that I don't have life-science background and actually listens to what I say, there might be hope. His constant refrain is,"Just by reading a book, you think you know more than me!" I know I don't but Taubes sure does.

@Diana: That's what I'm hoping for.

@Nick: What can I say, you're very lucky. As is your wife, I'm sure.

@Shastagirl: None taken. He gets SO defensive when I mention some of the studies in GCBC or question what he says (when it comes to medicine, that is).

@DCKMB: True! All my talk this morning just egged him to buy junk food from the store this evening!!

@Grandma: Good idea!

Thank you all for listening to me.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

In retrospect, I think it's his low-fat, processed foods, vegetarian diet that's making him act the way he does :P

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast