Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Enough Nutrition and Calories page 2

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I understand the stress of IBS and not wanting to eat something that might make things worse. The most simple version of the SCD that I do (if I can't be compliant with my various eliminations & trials of foods) is starch-free. Squash is okay, but no potatoes of any kind, definitely no rice. Minimal fruit at this point (bananas & apples seem okay, especially homemade applesauce). I'm eating very few veggies, mostly just carrots and onions right now. I just added back in celery. Eliminating starch alone got rid of the gas & bloating, so I definitely suspect some bacterial issues in my case. It's a slow process.

For constipation, I take magnesium citrate every night. If 400 mg per night isn't enough, I'd take 200 mg with a meal and add a dose as needed until you can get regular. I do have diarrhea from time to time, but only when the constipation is under control and then I eat something that doesn't agree with my gut. If I'm constipated, something may irritate my gut further, but I never see the result of it. So, I'm like you in that it's primarily C w/ some D.

As for organic stuff, you really don't have to worry about grass-fed and organic at this point. Just get the right foods, worry about quality later.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Sorry to have upset you. It was a joke. But, I did try to offer some constructive advice in the following paragraph. There is all kinds of ways to make your transition to paleo/primal easier. Cordain's original work called for allowing 3 non paleo meals a week, then reducing that to just two after a month, then just to one or none. Primal invokes the 80/20 rule with the idea that its what your nutrition and diet are most of the time that determines how healthy you are. All of it comes down to "don't let perfection be the enemy of the good". Relax. Its just food.

Nameless again has outlined some good stuff on SCD and supplements. All I have to add is... bone broth.... lots of it. The constituents are very conducive to helping leaky gut.

And here is a test that you may consider if you wanna know if "leaky gut" really is an issue for you:

https://www.directlabs.com/TestDetail.aspx?testid=83

You can order and do it yourself from your house using directlabs.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 09-10-2013 at 07:41 AM.

dev
    dev is offline Junior Member
    jesus, people. OP asks for help, and immediately gets mocked? wtf?

thinning hair, for women, is a pretty big deal & a good sign of malnutrition/thyroid/hormonal issues. maybe that's not the case for men, but for women it's a pretty significant sign of things worth noting.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    hair thins for thousand of reasons... use of medication, end of pregnancy, stress, certain food deficiencies, allergies, etc...
    The fact that you fell off the bandwagon, does indicate that you weren't feeling completely good with the diet you were following. I know it's expensive but all around the internet you can find good cheap options. The fact that you weren't feeling super like most of the people here could indicate you were indeed missing something or were allergic to something.

You could have a slight eggs allergy, most test won't show low level allergies. (or an other of the new introduced foods)

Also do not forget that any change, life-style, diet, or in exercise will cause stress to your body, especially diet as it requires the body to rethink it's standards. it must have been a relieve for your body to get it's fast carbs back...

However, in common sense, with every diet it's all about balance. Primal/Paleo is a well based diet that makes sense. However for it to work you've got to make sure that you get enough of everything. Your body will still need a certain amount of carbs. Just the good ones, the ones that works for your body. Also if you don't eat enough fruits and veggies you'll lack certain minerals and vitamins that your body needs. You need to eat more veggies than fruit or meat...

also you might want to read the book Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes. You'll learn more about what is useful for your body and what not.. more knowledge makes your choices easier...

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Sheild_Maiden: The guidelines are not difficult. The lifestyle and sustaining it, is. However, I'm glad that that isn't the case for you. Also, thank for telling me that I need to eat. I don't want to forget to do that.

nameless wonder: Thanks again for detailing what you're doing (but I did give your blog a visit too.) While GAPS seems like a good way to go, the intro part is pretty…er…hardcore. But I think it makes sense. So I'll be looking into SCD soon and compare them and see what I could try. I think sweet potatoes do have a positive effect on my digestion but it's not ideal yet (very interesting to note how store bought sweet potato fries have no effect, probably because they're swimming in corn starch etc)

It isn't easy to talk about so I appreciate your advice. Constipation is more prevalent for me than diarrhea (again, I only get that if I eat too much, get really upset or eat something that bothers me.) Actually because I can feel ill during the day I won't eat and I end up binging when I'm having a "good stomach day". It's an annoying cycle. I suppose I was a little let down that eating paleo wasn't really working for that but I didn't quit for that reason. I didn't want to quit because I knew that I was seeing some beneficial things (like bloat going away.) But I simply wasn't feeling energized and wasn't sure where I needed to make adjustments.

dev: Basically. Don't mean to sound vain but my hair has always been a very prominent part of who I am (my family and strangers have always praised it.) But either way, when it started to mysteriously thin I was freaked as it's never happened to me. My main concern is my health and I knew something was very wrong.

MarielleGO: Yeah. I thought it was really weird that I wasn't feeling very bouncy and high energy after keeping it up (low carb flu was pretty bad but I stuck it out somehow.)

ATM I do eat a lot of eggs for breakfast and as it's a cheap source of protein it's not something I want to have an issue with eating. I need all the safe foods I can get. I actually did go to an allergy doctor last year to see if I had food allergies. That was a waste of time (all he could tell me was that I had hayfever, which I knew already. Still paying the bill for that.)

That's what I was thinking. It took me six months to have my hair grow back thicker (and right now it's still only the roots. I'm very gentle with my hair, it's curly and hard to manage. I don't do a lot of intense styling.) But obviously my body still doesn't like this fake food.

Everything you've said is spot on. I think Paleo is a great framework. Just eat real food and also be aware of your body. I suppose I did not know that It wasn't as simple as just following Paleo. It may very well work for a lot of people, but others need fine tuning. Thanks for your response.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Byakko I did a food allergy test a few years ago and all got back negative. As a medical laborant myself I started to find out why it got back negative because I'm pretty sure my body can't handle glutes very well nor does it good on starch... it appears that when you have a slight allergy (which can make you feel awfull) the measurements in your blood are still too low to make sense or even detect... allergy tests are great for when you get a heavy allergic reaction but not for a 'little discomfort' as my doctor called it...

Yep, just try to follow the guidelines but do what feels best for your body... that's what all diets come down to... I just believe primal is the most healthy one of them all

Good luck!!!

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Byakko View Post
    namelesswonder: Eggs were what I ate most mornings. I'd add some spinach. I'd try to include vegetables with every meal (it was something I wasn't getting enough of before that). I tried to get as organic as I could but it wasn't possible (and I live in a pathetic little town where you can't get a lot of organic/clean things.) I got grassfed beef when it was affordable, which was almost never ($7 or so for a pound of ground.) I'd have to travel quite a ways to get a lot of Paleo ingredients. Since I didn't have much I had to choose between lunch and dinner and usually that meant not eating lunch (which in turn would make me ravenous by dinner.) I tried not to eat a lot of fruit but I did for the first few days. I thought if I ate enough at breakfast I could go longer without eating.

I realize thinning hair can be caused by other things (and I admit I was going through a lot of stress at the time, which was mostly health related.) I'll check out GAPS/SCD diet. I'm kind of afraid of elimination diets because I really don't want to mess up my system by reintroducing something that was hurting me. (Pain and I don't get along.) I also have IBS-C (sometimes D but rarely). I realized that Paleo alone was just not helping with my IBS so I thought there might be some bacterial issues that would need more work.

Neckhammer: Hmm. I never said that paleo MADE my hair thin. As for my goal weight, negative 150 meant LESS THAN 150. I suppose I should have used > instead of -. In which case, my bad. My weight in HS was 151 so I felt less than that would have been a good place to go. My height of 5'3 classifies me as being petite but since I have a thicker frame, I can't say definitively what weight would be good for me. 145 is obtainable…135…maybe. 125…probably not. Therefore, I didn't have a concrete number in mind.

Allenete: Wow okay. I never said that either. What I was trying to say was, even though I was eating crappy food, PERHAPS I was getting more calories than I was when I was doing Paleo. And obviously I know I was doing something wrong otherwise I wouldn't have made this post.

---

I'm not really sure why I'm getting a lot of smart remarks about this. I hope this isn't the norm.

In any case, the purpose of this post was trying to find a way to heal myself without having to waste time, money and energy finding a professional (knowing I won't be getting any real help with diet from a doctor and how may doctors recommend a nutritionist/dietician). Thanks namelesswonder for the tip about GAPS and SCD. I will do some research into this. I hope that it heals you. IBS sucks.
    Organic and grassfed really isn't necessary. Focus on getting lots of veggies and good meat into your diet first.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    My N=1, low carb made my hair come out in clumps and it scared the crap out of me since I was only 24-25. Added more in the form of not restricting any of it -- potatoes, rice, fruit, minor sugar/sweet whatever -- it eventually stopped.

New hair growth is still growing in, a year later, it will probably take another year to reach the length of the rest!

Later learned I have a slow thyroid so it probably contributed. Anyway low carb and my scalp, or my energy levels do not mix!

Byakko is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    MarielleGO: Weird. But I have always been a very sensitive person to various things so it's just really odd that nothing came up. (As a kid I used to be allergic to chocolate but that went away.) I think going cold turkey into Paleo showed the most drastic results but I may need to make a gradual change (I'm not sure if that's what caused the hairless. I went from sugar burner to fat burner straight and I guess that may have been a shock to my body. Thanks a lot!

AMonkey: Yeah I've stopped trying to buy "perfect" food because It's not feasible ATM. Or else, I'll get one thing organic and the rest is conventional.

Nivanthe: I tried to eat vegetables with each meal but I perhaps wasn't eating enough or maybe I need more fat. I honestly don't know what the problem was. But I know I was missing something vital. Also I was eating fruits and sweet potatoes (I did stay away from rice.) I even stayed away from "Paleo treats" (coconut ice cream, paleo breads etc). Sugar is something I struggle badly with so I decided not to tempt myself with anything that I could overdo. (Plus I had a bad reaction to some coconut ice cream once..at least I think it was that).

I'm glad your hair is growing back and you found out what was wrong. My mother actually has Graves' disease but I'm not sure if I share any thyroid problems.
    F|26yr|5'3"
    1st Start: 8.25.12
    SW: 151 CW: 147 GW: -150
    HW: 195

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12