Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for avoiding snacking? page

JenPoston is offline Member

Tips for avoiding snacking?

Primal Fuel
    I have an extremely bad habit of snacking on crap and then that sets off a major chain reaction of binging. I know myself and I'm positive I am not snacking because I am hungry and need the food. I am snacking because of bad habits and basically boredom.

What are some good ways I can break this nasty habit/addiction? Right now I just try to chug a glass of water and find an activity to take my mind off of it. Or if I do get a snack, I try to opt for high protein/low carb stuff so that the carbs and sugar won't set off a big chain reaction for me.

I am F, 30yo, 5'6", 219lb, been primal for 2 weeks and lost 8lbs so far. My husband refuses to go primal/paleo and I have 2 very young children so I can't just toss out all the carbs and snacks in the house.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Eat enough nutrient-dense satiating food at your meals that you aren't hungry for snacks. If you're nutrient-replete, the cravings will lessen.

Otherwise, you might want to look into the whole food reward hypothesis and try eating blander foods for a little while. I'm sure somebody has a link to a good synopsis.

Castle is offline Senior Member
    If you were snacking due to hunger, I'd recommend more filling meals. This still couldn't hurt, but since you say you're sure it's not due to hunger it may not help much, either. What do you eat in a day?

Regarding temptation, can you talk to your husband about the snacks? He doesn't have to eat primal if he doesn't want to, but his choices affect you. And there's nothing in those sugary, processed snacks that your kinds need or should be eating -- although there's nothing wrong with growing kinds having plenty of carbs (rice, potatoes, fruit, etc.).

If you do have to snack, try and make it something that's filling but not super dense calorically (i.e. eggs, plain baked potato). Nuts would be a bad choice if you're trying to loose weight. In the end though, it might come down to some willpower if it's developed into a habit.

drjoyous is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps you could move your husband's and kids' snacks to their own shelf or drawer (and you just stay away from that shelf/drawer)? It's easier then to just consider that area off limits.
    Re the snacking itself: it won't go away quickly; it's a habit that needs retraining most likely, since you say you're sure it's not because of hunger. I had the same issue, and still do sometimes. Here are some suggestions--try having some snacks already prepared and available without needing any preparation so that you don't decide on something "quick and easy" but junk. Make them protein (sliced left-over meat from last meal)--yeah, it's not the same as potato chips, but you're retraining the taste buds for snacking, rather than tackle both taste buds AND snacking at once. Have raw vegetables on hand--bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, snow peas, cherry tomatoes, carrots. Fruit triggers my sugar cravings (and i like veggies better), so i don't 'snack' on fruit. Stay away from nuts for the obvious reason (tendency to eat too many...). Cold veggies (raw) have a snap and a sweetness that works.

I often simply eat a bell pepper like an apple--i don't really like apples anyway, and this gives that same feeling. I tend to like raw veggies better than cooked ones most of the time (like mushrooms). That may or may not work for you...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You might have to get out of the house. Go for a walk. Go do some shopping even if you don't buy anything.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Knitting if you are stuck in the house. Knit and pull apart if you have to. It keeps both eyes and hands busy & you can do it endlessly.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Control your own actions. If you don't want to eat something then don't eat it. I don't mean for this to sound over-simplified, but this really is the only real answer to your question. Pretending it is more complicated, that you are unable to control yourself, will just cause more difficulties.

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    I found that eating full, nutrient dense meals really decreased my cravings for snacks trememdously. I will say at first it does take a conscious effort though. There are going to be some times where you will get up and start heading toward the cabinet out of habit and you have to stop yourself. You just have to tell yourself you have made the decision not to snack and fight through it. I found that part went away pretty quick though.

FrenchFry is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenPoston View Post
    My husband refuses to go primal/paleo and I have 2 very young children so I can't just toss out all the carbs and snacks in the house.
    wow, sorry to read that! My wife and I are 100% in it, it would be very hard otherwise

Myrtille is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Eat enough nutrient-dense satiating food at your meals that you aren't hungry for snacks. If you're nutrient-replete, the cravings will lessen.
    I agree with that. Even if you are not hungry, you have to give something to your body if you want your cravings to stop. Trying to resist is OK but IMO can't last long.
    How is your digestion ? I had cravings for years (still have them sometimes but not as often as before) and my therapist found out I had a terrible gut flora and that was gave me cravings. I treated that with lots of pre/probiotics and L-glutamin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast