Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tips for avoiding snacking? page 3

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    In a sense, snacking is "normal". Your body senses that there is calorie-dense food around, which of course might change at any time. Who knows, there might be a life-threatening famine coming up soon?

What is not normal is having ready-to-eat snack food available with no work required. If there was always cat food on the floor, all my cats would be little barrels.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I have in general the same issue... besides my hunger-break down around 3 in the afternoon I snack out of habit. It's a family thing.
    I would say a solution is to start smoking... but I guess it's more healthy to snack.:-)

My serious advise is to find something to do with your hands... for women it's easy, start knitting, sowing etc... but for men it's a bit more difficult... I can't imagine a "cave-man" sitting down to knit... but maybe you can pick up a hobby to do with your hands... painting, drawing, wood works, sculpting, etc... something you can pick up quickly when you feel bored and the need to snack

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    i think fasting helped me kick cravings. a lot. ever since i started different fasting times, i've gotten a lot better at eating a few meals each day, healthy meals, and really enjoying them. at work, we have a bowl of candy in the lounge, people bring in donuts and pop and fast food for us, but i just haven't eaten any in a while due to fasting. i stop eating at 7 or 8 p.m. and actually eat starting at any where from 12-3 p.m. i think it comes down to mostly willpower and just telling yourself "no" when you see junk food. maybe you can try a fast of your choice on just one day out of the week and see if that helps. good luck

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Eat enough nutrient-dense satiating food at your meals that you aren't hungry for snacks. If you're nutrient-replete, the cravings will lessen.

Otherwise, you might want to look into the whole food reward hypothesis and try eating blander foods for a little while. I'm sure somebody has a link to a good synopsis.
    I agree whole-heartedly with this. I was going to say, eat more nutrient dense foods, they tend to keep you full far longer than food with less nutrition. I actually adore eating high protein (wild meats and fish) because I could honestly eat a burger at 8 am and not be hungry until 4 or 5 pm that same day - No snacking here!

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    The only way I can avoid snacking is either:
    Being in an enviroment where it is impossible/too costly to snack.
    or
    Being immersed enough in what I'm doing to snack.

An example of the former is when I'm outside the house. I don't like buying snacks because I earning minimal money and would rather spend it on other things. The latter is if I get really immersed in a piece of entertainment like a video game or movie I won't snack. The opposite, when I'm sitting in the house bored, I find myself going to the fridge.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123