Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for avoiding snacking? page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    A good intellectual exercise is to write down everything you eat, including the snacks, for a few days. Calculate your calories, then set up your meals so that is how much you are eating (of real food, of course). After a few days of deliberately overeating meals, it will seem like a blessing to drop back to maintenance level.

fkjr2 is offline Senior Member
    few things....first your not eating the right foods and you need will power to avoid snacking because it will only deprive you of real solid primal meals - do this...

~drink crap loads of water until it comes out your ears
    ~eat more fat and fiber
    ~chew gum
    ~do intermittent fasting

I fast all day until 5pm - I love it and wouldnt go back to eating during the day - it has chnaged the way I look at food and my physique has gotten leaner and healthier while still enjoying LARGE primal meals at night

Give it a shot..

JenPoston is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    Control your own actions. If you don't want to eat something then don't eat it. I don't mean for this to sound over-simplified, but this really is the only real answer to your question. Pretending it is more complicated, that you are unable to control yourself, will just cause more difficulties.
    It is actually much more complicated than that. Maybe you have experienced food addiction or don't think it's a real thing, but it is very real and the mind is a powerful thing. If I was able to just pick up and control my actions then I wouldn't be as fat as I am right now. I am making a real effort for change and have seen some impressive and amazing results so far but old habits die hard. It's basically like telling an alcoholic "The rest of your family drinks, and there is beer and wine available in the house, but just CONTROL YOURSELF and don't drink." Even with the healthy foods and snacks in my house (fruits, nuts, nut butter, raw veg) I sometimes find myself saying "Well, it's been a couple hours since breakfast... time for a snack." I often have to stop myself and say "Why am I doing that?" Most of the time it's just a simple habit of walking past the kitchen and, like a robot, opening the pantry or fridge and not real hunger. I'm not following the leptin reset plan my any means but I found the concept of eating a BAB to be really helpful and beneficial to me in keeping me satisfied for a long time. So overall I feel like my eating is really great, I'm making good choices, I'm "controlling myself", I am just finding it hard to stop that completely unnecessary snacking habit. It's not all day and it's not every day (anymore) but we all have our bad days and weak moments.

I like the idea of just plain getting out of the house or a tedious activity like knitting.

Quote Originally Posted by JenPoston View Post
    It is actually much more complicated than that. Maybe you have experienced food addiction or don't think it's a real thing, but it is very real and the mind is a powerful thing. If I was able to just pick up and control my actions then I wouldn't be as fat as I am right now. I am making a real effort for change and have seen some impressive and amazing results so far but old habits die hard. It's basically like telling an alcoholic "The rest of your family drinks, and there is beer and wine available in the house, but just CONTROL YOURSELF and don't drink." Even with the healthy foods and snacks in my house (fruits, nuts, nut butter, raw veg) I sometimes find myself saying "Well, it's been a couple hours since breakfast... time for a snack." I often have to stop myself and say "Why am I doing that?" Most of the time it's just a simple habit of walking past the kitchen and, like a robot, opening the pantry or fridge and not real hunger. I'm not following the leptin reset plan my any means but I found the concept of eating a BAB to be really helpful and beneficial to me in keeping me satisfied for a long time. So overall I feel like my eating is really great, I'm making good choices, I'm "controlling myself", I am just finding it hard to stop that completely unnecessary snacking habit. It's not all day and it's not every day (anymore) but we all have our bad days and weak moments.

I like the idea of just plain getting out of the house or a tedious activity like knitting.
    Two words..

Cold turkey.

Pretend your a cave woman and need to trek across the forest to hunt down that snack.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend just getting occupied. Finding something to do (that you actually enjoy) can help you keep your mind off of food.

I don't really agree with the advice given above to fast until 5. That works for some, but it's probably not a great idea for someone to go from snacking constantly to simply not eating until the evening.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

JenPoston is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrtille View Post
    I agree with that. Even if you are not hungry, you have to give something to your body if you want your cravings to stop. Trying to resist is OK but IMO can't last long.
    How is your digestion ? I had cravings for years (still have them sometimes but not as often as before) and my therapist found out I had a terrible gut flora and that was gave me cravings. I treated that with lots of pre/probiotics and L-glutamin.
    I think you're right and I could benefit from some gut help. Before going primal I had horrible IBS. About a week in I was horrible constipated from the huge change in eating habits but things have leveled out now and are much more normal. But I think there is probably a lot of leftover damage from years of eating gluten and all the IBS that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    I would recommend just getting occupied. Finding something to do (that you actually enjoy) can help you keep your mind off of food.

I don't really agree with the advice given above to fast until 5. That works for some, but it's probably not a great idea for someone to go from snacking constantly to simply not eating until the evening.
    I should have mentioned I worked up to the 5pm fast. I started with skipping breakfast, then lunch, etc.

Perhaps try skipping breakfast and see what happens and yes stay productive and occupied.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    I should have mentioned I worked up to the 5pm fast. I started with skipping breakfast, then lunch, etc.
    Yeah, that's pretty important to mention
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Myrtille is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JenPoston View Post

When I had uncontrolled snacking, what made me suffer most is that I truely believed it was a problem of self discipline, I thought I lack willpower. But at the same time I felt the whole thing was really stronger than me. When I had those cravings, I couldn't think about anything else as if my brain was turned off. As you said, a robot.
    When I have been told that was normal because I had this gut issue, I was so released. I was proposed a diet really close to PB and I gave it a try. It worked really well and that is why I follow PB now.

katydid317 is offline Senior Member
    Go for a walk or try to do something around the house to keep your mind off eating. Sometimes it helps me to drink a glass of water and also keep a glass of ice water at hand to drink when I get the urge to snack. Usually it's really hard and it's just willpower that gets me through the first few days. My problem is evening snacking, but I find if I can go a few days without doing it it gets easier. From there it's just establishing a habit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast