Thread: Greek diet and long life.... page

adam204 is offline Member

Greek diet and long life....

Primal Fuel
    I've just returned home from a week's holiday on the island of Crete. I thought it interesting that on one of the day trips we had, our guide was telling us that people on average live a long time into their 90's and that the greek diet is made up a lot of grains and wheats. Breads and pasta and rice. They also have little traditions to help keep the doctor away such as a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil every day. They consume this by pouring it over bread and adding lemon juice. What I will say though is that there was a constant available amount of fresh fruit and veg at our hotel. I avoided all grains except a little rice that formed the basis of a very tasty meal one evening. He also said that normally they only eat one portion of meat a week, its mainly grains and wheat but to get protein they ate a fair bit of fish, especially sardines. Anyway somehow I managed to loose 3 pounds
    Usually weight goes on whilst on holiday. So im not complaining. Anyway justt thought I'd post that incase people were interested.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Fish is meat.

We have a thread on this somewhere, with lots of good discussion. Dig it up if you get a chance...

M.

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    I am originating from North-Africa (Berbčre) and until my mother's generation, it was very common to have people die during their 90's. They ate what they could, lots of olives, grass-fed meat, veggies, fruits (a lot of figues) and even some wheat (couscous, which was originally made of barley or even millet, don't remember).

After talking with my mom, it became almost clear to me that the longevity was not due to the diet only but to the meal timing. They went through starvation / caloric restriction, and had to work in the fields most days ... That did something and I might have inherited something (epigenetic) ...

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I have no problem believing that wheat was a fine food once upon a time and maybe this island serves as a time capsule depending on how they grow and bake it. Since 1850 everything that's happened to the plant and how we use it has been a complete disaster (the bread chapter in Michael Pollan's Cooked is a superb examination).
    34//6'3"/180

Lots of: urban hiking, cycling, sprinting
    Lots of: fresh meat, seafood, eggs, organs, tubers, starch fruits, vegetables, meat fat, dairy fat, oil fruits
    Some: cured meat, dairy protein, sweet fruits, rice, pulses, tree nuts, oil seeds
    Minimal: soy, refined proteins, sugar, liquid carbohydrate, grains, refined oils, peanuts

Eurogal is offline Junior Member
    Most people in Crete die of diet-related disease. This island has got very high rates of cancer (especially in young people), type 2 diabetes and heart disease.

People here used to live long, but that's no longer true. They were so poor, that they had to live off the land and what it had to offer. Yes, some fish, but mainly lots of wild salad greens, olives and oliveoil, vegetables and some legumes. Also goat-milk cheese and youghurt, rabbits, chicken, eggs and small game. Beef and pork were nearly nonexistent. Also people used to walk everywhere and in general they would lead very simple lives filled with hard work.

Nowadays fresh fish is very expensive and people don't really eat a lot of it. Also nobody eats only a tablespoon of olive oil a day. An average family consumes a couple of barrels of oil a year. It's used in all sorts of cooking, not only on bread and salads.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Greece's diet crisis: Greeks abandon traditional foods, and an obesity epidemic is the result | Marketplace.org

Excerpt:

I really like Greek food. The fresh vegetables, the olive oil, the herbs, the yogurt, the wine. And lucky me -- since the 1950s, study after study has shown that the Mediterranean diet, and especially the diet of Crete, makes you live longer, protects you from heart disease and cancer, and keeps you from getting too fat. Look at lists of the world's healthiest diets, and the one from Crete often ranks at the top.

Unfortunately, hardly anybody follows it anymore.

I met a 16-year-old I'll call Eleni with her mother in Chania, a port city of about 50,000 in western Crete. Eleni's grandparents lived in the countryside, but she and her parents grew up in town. Her favorite musician is Justin Bieber. Her favorite foods are hamburgers and pizza.

Eleni has struggled with her weight most of her life. She's been up to about 200 pounds. Schoolmates have taunted her. Her mother told me she tries to lose weight, but then she lapses.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

peril is offline Senior Member
    Needs to be remembered that Greek Orthodox believers "fast" about 200 days each year, where fast means no animal meat and sometimes means no fish or dairy

They eat a lot of legumes
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Most traditional diets are romanticized in the media to the point where what is commonly understood to be what people eat in most places is just plain wrong.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Most traditional diets are romanticized in the media to the point where what is commonly understood to be what people eat in most places is just plain wrong.
    True, that. And even where they're accurate, they still probably miss things.

M.

findmecao is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    yes,Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.thanks