Thread: Primal Journal (PantryBites) page

pantrybites is offline Member

Primal Journal (PantryBites)

Just discovered the primal journal section of the forums and really enjoying reading about other Grokkers' experiences.

Been dabbling on and off with Primal Living for a year and a half. Committed myself to going 100% Primal since March of this year and totally loving it. I've never been much of a biology geek but I'm really enjoying educating myself in the research behind living Primal.

Have started a food blog earlier as a hobby this year. It was meant to be a straight food blog but as a result of my recent commitments to being Primal has been focusing more on primal recipes.

I decided to go Primal because I got sick and tired of being told to eat 6 small meals and to replace real food with processed packaged foods and protein bars. I was spending a LOT of time at the gym doing chronic cardio and feeling guilty for missing a day.

I essentially want to cut out the crap and cut out the noise and see what happens. I can tell you right now that I feel a 100% better already.
    Last edited by pantrybites; 06-04-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Been trying to keep things simple lately. I was sick all of last week with some form of a stomach bug which always makes me question what I have been eating. So I've been really focusing on sticking to meat, fish, vegetables and the good fats.

B: Just a coffee with cream. Unless I go to the gym, I don't find that I need to have breakfast.
    MT: Hard boiled egg or some almonds
    L: Large salad with home made dressing and a can of wild Canadian salmon
    AF: More nuts or another hard boiled egg
    D: Rump steak with butter and vegetables
    Dessert: I always have a little something after dinner. Usually some 85% dark chocolate or blueberries with fresh cream.

Temptation is always the wine drinking on the weekends...

5 June 2010

Love Saturday mornings when I wake up and I know that I don't have to go to work.

Breakfast:
    Coffee with cream. Smoothie made with blueberries, chocolate whey protein and 1 tbs cream. I add a lot of ice to the smoothie and have it in a bowl with a spoon when I have the time. It slows down the breakfast time.

Went for my usual 80 minute walk with the hound while listening to my Ipod.

Lunch: A large salad with leftovers. 2 boiled eggs, vinaigrette, grated carrots, broccoli sprouts, red onion and tomatoes. 2 pieces of 85% dark chocolate. Another cup of coffee with cream.

I always want to drink more coffee on the weekends for some reason. Also went to a cafe later on in the afternoon. Skipped the coffee this time but did have a few bites of fudge.

Afternoon Tea: 2 hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper.

Went to the movies with a friend. Had a handful of popcorn and diet coke. Have virtually eliminated diet soda from my life...but it still creeps up every once in a while.

Late Dinner at about 8:30PM: 1 hard boiled egg, 1 cup pumpkin soup, 1/2 cup greek yogurt.

I wasn't overly hungry for dinner so it would have been a good time to engage in IF. I have been engaging in IF during weekday mornings. If I have mid- morning meetings, I can essentially keep myself busy so that I don't have a chance to eat until lunch time. The hunger passes after a while and on some mornings, I'm not hungry at all.

For someone who was told to eat 6 smaller meals regardless whether or not you are hungry at set times, IF is such a refreshing concept.

11 June 2010

Crazy week at work. Just as I think that I've cleared my desk, I come back to more stuff. Phones going off the hook. On top of all this, it's been raining almost every day this week. Stress management has got to be one of the most effective tools for sticking to a healthy lifestyle and eating.

Have been pretty much all primal with my food this week.

The Good:
    - Really tuning into my hunger. This has a lot to do with skipping breakfast and just going with the flow. I love it that I can skip breakfast, challenge the dogma of conventional wisdom- "breakfast is the most important meal of the day."
    - Have really stuck to clean primal foods. This especially true of my lunches consisting of massive salads with wild Canadian salmon.
    - Keeping the fruit intake low.
    - My recipe for Pork Cutlet with Cauliflower "Rice" Pilaf. I love substituting cauliflower for rice. And this recipe really makes things interesting.
    - Lots of low level cardio. One BodyPump class. Love BodyPump. It's a great workout if you work with some hard weights.

The Bad:
    - Had one too many wines at last night's work function of pizza and beer. I skipped the pizza and beer but ended up having 3 glasses of wine.
    - chocolate frosting that I stole off of my boyfriend's cupcake.
    - Low carb tortillas for dinner tonight. Low carb or not, it's processed food which I know to steer clear of.

Taking 5HTP before bedtime and I think it's working. I'm getting a solid 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.

So pleased that it's the weekend. I definitely need the rest. Planning on a short sprint session at the gym tomorrow and hopefully some indoor rock climbing.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

13 June 2010

I blink and the weekend is gone. It seems so unfair- work for 5 days and rest for 2 days. It should really be the other way around.

Hit the gym this morning for some low level cardio and finished with a 10 minute sprint session. I am really enjoying the primal way of working out. So much less time that I spend at the gym.

Alcohol on the weekends is always my ultimate weakness. I tried something different last night. I made a gin based mojito drink and sipped that all night instead of drinking wine. I find that I tend to drink more than I intend to with wine as it seems to always get topped up. The gin based mojito was great as I added heaps of soda water to it and sipped it slowly. It worked. I only ended up having 1 drink the whole night.

Planning on making beef bolognese with the free range, grass fed, hormone free beef I bought. Quite keen to see if it really does taste different. Note that all beef in New Zealand is grass fed but not all of it is hormone free.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    15 June 2010

Today's food and exercise:

Woke up early for 45 minutes of light cardio at the gym. It's just too rainy at the moment to be outside. I didn't have time to grab breakfast at home and I was famished by the time I got to work.

I always take a couple of hard boiled eggs to snack on throughout the day. They are life savers when I don't have time to sit down for a proper meal or when I'm running off to meetings.

Breakfast: Flat white plus 1 boiled egg
    Morning Tea: 1 boiled egg
    Lunch: Big salad with wild salmon
    Afternoon Tea: handful of almonds and small bunch of grapes
    Dinner: free range pork sausages plus kale salad
    Dessert: small slice of almond flour bread with raw honey and butter.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food