Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Weights Are Just as Good for Building Muscle, Getting Stronger, Resea page

SupermanRedSun is offline Junior Member

Light Weights Are Just as Good for Building Muscle, Getting Stronger, Resea

Primal Fuel

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    We do both at my CrossFit gym, I like both lower weight w/ more reps and fewer reps with higher weights.
    There is something really rewarding about lifting something that is so heavy I can only do it once!!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

SupermanRedSun is offline Junior Member
    I would suspect that this is the safe way to lift for the joints and long term healthy/safety of the overall human body.

Primal_alien is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SupermanRedSun View Post
    I would suspect that this is the safe way to lift for the joints and long term healthy/safety of the overall human body.
    Bro, our ancestors did it.

When it was time for leisure they threw rocks at each other for fun.

When it was time for work they picked up boulders to throw at game!

fact bro, Fact!

joinorgage is offline Junior Member
    that right,When it was time for work they picked up boulders to throw at game!

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Not quite as good for building strength. The only way you're gonna lift 300kg is by lifting 300kg.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Can anyone think of a worse study design? Leg extension machine? 80% vs 30%?

And the conclusion doesn't match the data either. We all know (I hope) that maximal hypertrophy doesn't depend on maximum intensity, but the group that worked out with the "heavy" (and I'd argue that 80% isn't truly heavy) resistance gained more strength. In the long run, won't the group that gained more strength be able to achieve more hypertrophy as well? Of course they will.

Also, who were the test subjects? Untrained/detrained males is my guess. Which makes the data not really relevant to most of us. Because untrained young males will see positive results from doing damn near anything.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    Not quite as good for building strength. The only way you're gonna lift 300kg is by lifting 300kg.
    You don't think leg extensions at 30% of my 1RM for leg extensions will make me a competitive strongman or powerlifting competitor?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, crap study. Basically it proves doing something is better than doing nothing.

The whole point of the study is to show debilitated people that it is still beneficial to lift light weight if they ares afraid of the heavies.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    You don't think leg extensions at 30% of my 1RM for leg extensions will make me a competitive strongman or powerlifting competitor?
    I hadn't even read the study. If it's leg extension machine, then even worse.
    Fine for bodybuilders, but bodybuilders (despite the respect I have for someone with the perseverance to live that life) don't do what they do for health.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast