Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Light Weights Are Just as Good for Building Muscle, Getting Stronger, Resea page 5

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Strength training is notoriously known to shorten the whole muscle facia, including tendons, thats what we try to avoid somehow by doing stretching...
    Can you prove that cuz I've never seen that to be true?

In all my lifting none of my tendons ever change their lengths, nor did my muscle bellies. Larry Scott, for example, had long bellies with very short tendons http://www.eigenkracht.nl/media/files/larry-scott.jpg. Those long bicep bellies allowed Larry to build really big biceps.

By contrast to Larry, Franco Columbu had short bicep bellies that never changed their tendon attachments from a time before he was lifting (when his was a boxer) http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mC1TEdZ4gk...t.com+0023.jpg to when he became a bodybuilder http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mC1TEdZ4gk...t.com+0024.JPG Franco's tendon and muscle bellies remained the same. It's Larry's and Franco's genetics. You can

Here's an article contrasting the difference in genetics between Larry Scott's biceps to that of Albert Beckles' How To Get Bigger Biceps
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    Can you prove that cuz I've never seen that to be true?

In all my lifting none of my tendons ever change their lengths, nor did my muscle bellies. Larry Scott, for example, had long bellies with very short tendons http://www.eigenkracht.nl/media/files/larry-scott.jpg. Those long bicep bellies allowed Larry to build really big biceps.

By contrast to Larry, Franco Columbu had short bicep bellies that never changed their tendon attachments from a time before he was lifting (when his was a boxer) http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mC1TEdZ4gk...t.com+0023.jpg to when he became a bodybuilder http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mC1TEdZ4gk...t.com+0024.JPG Franco's tendon and muscle bellies remained the same. It's Larry's and Franco's genetics. You can

Here's an article contrasting the difference in genetics between Larry Scott's biceps to that of Albert Beckles' How To Get Bigger Biceps
    What do you think happens when people just train the agonist and not the antagonist? The fascia and tendons makes the agonist muscle shorter and tenser and you creates an imbalance, like those guys that always do pressing movements and too little pulling. The insertion point is what you are thinking about, and that’s not possible to change, but strength training may change the appearance of your muscle though, due to the shortening of tendons and muscle fascia…
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

What do you think happens when people just train the agonist and not the antagonist? The fascia and tendons makes the agonist muscle shorter and tenser and you creates an imbalance, like those guys that always do pressing movements and too little pulling. The insertion point is what you are thinking about, and that’s not possible to change, but strength training may change the appearance of your muscle though, due to the shortening of tendons and muscle fascia…
    I'm a skeptic....Prove what you're saying
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Why do we stretch after exercise then?

What happens to guys sitting too much in front of the computer? Shortening of various fasicas and tendons that changes appearance of anatomy...
    Whoever fights trolls should see to it that in the process he does not become a troll - for when you gaze long enough into the computer screen, the computer screen will gaze back into you!
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Vick is offline Senior Member
    This is from Livestrong backing Gorbag's comments

What Are The Causes Of Tight Tendons? | LIVESTRONG.COM

STRETCHING AND FLEXIBILITY
    Everything you never wanted to know
    by Brad Appleton
    STRETCHING AND FLEXIBILITY - Table of Contents

STRETCHING AND FLEXIBILITY - Flexibility

According to Gummerson, flexibility (he uses the term mobility) is affected by the following factors:

Internal influences

the type of joint (some joints simply aren't meant to be flexible)
    the internal resistance within a joint
    bony structures which limit movement
    the elasticity of muscle tissue (muscle tissue that is scarred due to a previous injury is not very elastic)
    the elasticity of tendons and ligaments (ligaments do not stretch much and tendons should not stretch at all)
    the elasticity of skin (skin actually has some degree of elasticity, but not much)
    the ability of a muscle to relax and contract to achieve the greatest range of movement
    the temperature of the joint and associated tissues (joints and muscles offer better flexibility at body temperatures that are 1 to 2 degrees higher than normal)

How Connective Tissue Affects Flexibility

How Aging Affects Flexibility: (next subsection)
    Factors Limiting Flexibility: (beginning of section)

The resistance to lengthening that is offered by a muscle is dependent upon its connective tissues: When the muscle elongates, the surrounding connective tissues become more taut (see section Connective Tissue). Also, inactivity of certain muscles or joints can cause chemical changes in connective tissue which restrict flexibility. According to M. Alter, each type of tissue plays a certain role in joint stiffness: "The joint capsule (i.e., the saclike structure that encloses the ends of bones) and ligaments are the most important factors, accounting for 47 percent of the stiffness, followed by the muscle's fascia (41 percent), the tendons (10 percent), and skin (2 percent)".

M. Alter goes on to say that efforts to increase flexibility should be directed at the muscle's fascia however. This is because it has the most elastic tissue, and because ligaments and tendons (since they have less elastic tissue) are not intended to stretched very much at all. Overstretching them may weaken the joint's integrity and cause destabilization (which increases the risk of injury).

When connective tissue is overused, the tissue becomes fatigued and may tear, which also limits flexibility. When connective tissue is unused or under used, it provides significant resistance and limits flexibility. The elastin begins to fray and loses some of its elasticity, and the collagen increases in stiffness and in density. Aging has some of the same effects on connective tissue that lack of use has.

Overflexibility

Strength and Flexibility: (previous section)
    Flexibility: (beginning of chapter)

It is possible for the muscles of a joint to become too flexible. According to SynerStretch, there is a tradeoff between flexibility and stability. As you get "looser" or more limber in a particular joint, less support is given to the joint by its surrounding muscles. Excessive flexibility can be just as bad as not enough because both increase your risk of injury.

Once a muscle has reached its absolute maximum length, attempting to stretch the muscle further only serves to stretch the ligaments and put undue stress upon the tendons (two things that you do not want to stretch). Ligaments will tear when stretched more than 6% of their normal length. Tendons are not even supposed to be able to lengthen. Even when stretched ligaments and tendons do not tear, loose joints and/or a decrease in the joint's stability can occur (thus vastly increasing your risk of injury).
    Last edited by Scott F; 09-10-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Ideally, you want your tendons to have elasticity for sports (throwing a baseball or jumping). I could see tendons getting stiffer (no shorter) with weight training only...full-time heavyweight powerlifters. Most people don't lift like that, though. Myself, I've never experience tendons getting shorter nor muscles getting tighter through bodybuilding. My hamstrings have always been tighter than I wanted (martial arts with a lot of stretching). But my quads are very flexible despite a lot of lifting and very little stretching to them. It's actually difficult for me to feel a stretch in my quads.

Tendons as a prologonation of the fascia shortens by repetive contractions and must be pulled back either by antagonist exercise or by stretching. Musclefibers are wrapped up inside the fascia and will become shorter too...
    - Gorbag Nietzsche

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Real hypertrophy IS strength, the only way to become stronger in a physiological sense is to grow it! A more muscled up you is a stronger you, even if you could bench or squat more before becoming larger...
    I guess my point is that I've seen some strong people who don't look overly bulky (particularly women). They seem to be able to lift a lot more than most, without looking comparatively larger.

The strength they gain is generally from lifting heavy to failure, rather than doing a lot of reps at lighter weights. I've never seen anyone (particularly a woman) getting strong by doing lots of lighter weights.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    I guess my point is that I've seen some strong people who don't look overly bulky (particularly women). They seem to be able to lift a lot more than most, without looking comparatively larger.

The strength they gain is generally from lifting heavy to failure, rather than doing a lot of reps at lighter weights. I've never seen anyone (particularly a woman) getting strong by doing lots of lighter weights.
    Nearly every workout I get a comment from someone at the gym who's bigger than me but doesn't lift as heavy weight.

Sent via F-22 Raptor

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast