Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Weights Are Just as Good for Building Muscle, Getting Stronger, Resea page 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    For general fitness goals various rep ranges from 5 reps and above is probably not a bad idea!

T NATION | Light Weights for Big Gains

More relevant stuff from Clarence Bass, effort is more important than heavy:

Muscle Fibers and Weight training
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    For general fitness goals various rep ranges from 5 reps and above is probably not a bad idea!

T NATION | Light Weights for Big Gains

More relevant stuff from Clarence Bass, effort is more important than heavy:

Muscle Fibers and Weight training
    ... and another one from Clarence

Weight Training With Effort - Many Ways

Keep in simple. Hit failure on your last rep. Use weight and reps that are comfortable to you as an individual.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    How many reps do you think you can do at 80% of your 1RM? And how many at 30%?
    I'm saying my legs respond better by doing deep squats (or leg presses) for 15-20 reps. I think it's because the legs are more slow twitch endurance muscles overall. If I can do 20reps it's time to add weight. I pay little attention to 1RMs (esp for something like squats), back injury issues. These days I don't do much 1RM. With 33 years worth of weight training I can tell if the weight I'm using is heavy enough simply by feel/effort.

I got the idea to try 15-20 reps from Ellington Darden's High Intensity Bodybuilding book's recommendations. That was the best results I ever had putting size on my quad/hamstrings.
    Last edited by Scott F; 09-09-2013 at 08:54 PM.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    I'm saying my legs respond better by doing deep squats (or leg presses) for 15-20 reps. I think it's because the legs are more slow twitch endurance muscles overall. If I can do 20reps it's time to add weight. I pay little attention to 1RMs (esp for something like squats), back injury issues. These days I don't do much 1RM. With 33 years worth of weight training I can tell if the weight I'm using is heavy enough simply by feel/effort.

I got the idea to try 15-20 reps from Ellington Darden's High Intensity Bodybuilding book's recommendations. That was the best results I ever had putting size on my quad/hamstrings.
    Was that 1 set of 15 - 20 reps with the last one going to failure? Failure defined as very poor form or not able to complete the last rep.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Was that 1 set of 15 - 20 reps with the last one going to failure? Failure defined as very poor form or not able to complete the last rep.
    Two set of squats to failure. We (a friend of mine) spotted each other and used a squat rack's safety bars. I was in my late 20's at the time. I'm 56 now (time flies). This is the workout we used: http://www.amazon.com/High-Intensity.../dp/0399511032

That workout was full body 3 days per week. At the end of 6 weeks I had gained 14lbs (starting weight 202lb; ending 216lbs). I averaged about 2lbs gains per week. My friend gained more but he's taller. Neither of use ever used steroids, creatine wasn't invented yet, and we didn't eat a special diet. I remember all this because the gains were so impressive. Before then I wouldn't have thought anyone could put on 2lbs of muscle per week naturally. It's the body having to build the equivalent of two 16oz steaks each week.

However, that workout was too taxing. At the end of that workout we were shot in the ass fatigued and had to layoff. If I had to do it over I would maybe cut back to twice (maybe even once) per week on the workout. Or I'd schedual rest/recovery weeks every 3rd or 4th week (similar to P90X's break weeks).
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

miata is offline Senior Member
    It does seem that higher reps could have benefits for us older folks. I've been doing 10x10 incline benches with light barbells while baby sitting a shoulder joint. I've actually been increasing strength while slowly healing my shoulder.

It seems that it might be best for older folks to to start with high reps and slowly decrease reps as joints get stronger. I know that my muscles were getting stronger faster than my joints when lifting heaver.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Err is it just hypertropy or strength too? Sure your muscles may grow as much, but are they as strong afterwards? I just can't see lifting lots of reps at 30% of 1 RM being an effective way of building greater strength... You will probably just get better at lifting that particular weight!! I don't imagine your actual strength is going to significantly improve.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post

I followed what you said. I'm talking about relating it to the article. If you think about 30% of your estimated/projected 1RM, I bet you can rep it out way more than 15-20 times. In fact, if you really want to make yourself see stars and feel like you might hurl, you can probably rep out 70 or 75% of your 1RM for a set of 20.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    Err is it just hypertropy or strength too? Sure your muscles may grow as much, but are they as strong afterwards? I just can't see lifting lots of reps at 30% of 1 RM being an effective way of building greater strength... You will probably just get better at lifting that particular weight!! I don't imagine your actual strength is going to significantly improve.
    Real hypertrophy IS strength, the only way to become stronger in a physiological sense is to grow it! A more muscled up you is a stronger you, even if you could bench or squat more before becoming larger...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Real hypertrophy IS strength, the only way to become stronger in a physiological sense is to grow it! A more muscled up you is a stronger you, even if you could bench or squat more before becoming larger...
    You took too many crazy pills this morning, Uncle Gorbs.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast