Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Light Weights Are Just as Good for Building Muscle, Getting Stronger, Resea page 2

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Kochin View Post
    I hadn't even read the study. If it's leg extension machine, then even worse.
    Fine for bodybuilders, but bodybuilders (despite the respect I have for someone with the perseverance to live that life) don't do what they do for health.
    I only read the abstract, but I'm bookmarking it for future citations about the sad state of exercise "science."

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Red sun you'll have to read between the lines in that study. Even in the article they try to play down the idea that's the group that used the heaviest weights gained the most strength. Which pretty much makes the initial purpose of the experiment invalid.

By the way, I want to meet the girl who looks that happy when she lifts weights! Awesome!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    9 months of light weights and calisthenics 2x a week and I could do knee pushups and zero real pushups.

9 months of strength training lifting barbells 2x a week at up to my 1rep max and I can do 50 real pushups in sets of 10 even after doing no pushups at all for many months plus a 1 month layoff of lifting weights.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Other studies has shown that doing sets to failure with 30 % of 1RM is just as efective as 80+ of 1 RM for strength hyperthrophy, so nothing new about this. But if you want to be a competing olympic lifter or a powerlifter you must of course use heavy weights to get the neural adaptions for your lifts...
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Other studies has shown that doing sets to failure with 30 % of 1RM is just as efective as 80+ of 1 RM for strength hyperthrophy, so nothing new about this. But if you want to be a competing olympic lifter or a powerlifter you must of course use heavy weights to get the neural adaptions for your lifts...
    I agree. If you want to be able to display your strength, train with heavy weights. Otherwise, light weights are effective.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    From my experience I think it depends on which muscle group you're working. The leg muscles are made for endurance compared to deltoids. I respond much better to 15-20 reps to failure on leg press and squats. On shoulder work, I respond better to lower reps (8-12).
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    From my experience I think it depends on which muscle group you're working. The leg muscles are made for endurance compared to deltoids. I respond much better to 15-20 reps to failure on leg press and squats. On shoulder work, I respond better to lower reps (8-12).
    How many reps do you think you can do at 80% of your 1RM? And how many at 30%?

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    If they were really pushing to momentary muscular failure for three sets then I'd suggest that the heavy group was probably over training doing 3 sessions per week anyway. That being the case had the heavy group just done one session per week they would likely have shown more hypertrophy than the light group.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, crap study. Basically it proves doing something is better than doing nothing.

The whole point of the study is to show debilitated people that it is still beneficial to lift light weight if they ares afraid of the heavies.
    Gotta disagree with you on this one. Clarence Bass gives a much better review of the study.

Light Weights Build Muscle

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    Gotta disagree with you on this one. Clarence Bass gives a much better review of the study.

Light Weights Build Muscle
    Well it seems I did actually misread this. When reading the OPs article I though that it stated 8-12 reps at the heaviest and 25-30 at the lightest and saw nothing to indicate going to "failure" in either. So yeah, I thought they were arbitrarily assigning rep ranges rather then relying on intensity and momentary muscle failure.

So my comment now is that high or low is very dependent on your training goals.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast