Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Picky Paleo eater needs some help page

sarahemma14 is offline Junior Member

Picky Paleo eater needs some help

Primal Fuel
    I have finally convinced my Mum to try eating Paleo/Primal for 2 weeks to see how she feels and I am hoping she continues on with it. She is 55, probably 40 pounds overweight and carries it mostly in her stomach area - she also has diabetes and is on numerous medications. I really want her to stick around as long as possible so I am trying to convince her to try Paleo. The problem is, she is one of the pickiest eaters I know! I finally convinced her to let me do up a meal plan with her and told her I would go shopping with her, so I just need some suggestions please. For me, I eat eggs and homemade sausage for breakfast or I skip breakfast. Unfortunately she doesn't love eggs. She said she would be okay with eating one egg for breakfast, but I know she will get sick of it everyday. Does anyone have suggestions other than eggs and sausage/bacon for breakfast? And I know she wouldn't eat leftovers for breakfast, at least not right away. She usually eats oatmeal or cereal for breakfast. She will be okay with eating a big ass salad for lunch and dinner will be fine, its just the breakfasts will be hard. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    I ate berries with Greek yogurt for a long time. I've moved on to other stuff, but I really loved it while I was eating it. My DD eats banana/egg pancakes a lot (one banana, two eggs, cinnamon and vanilla) which might be an easier way to down the eggs.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

sarahemma14 is offline Junior Member
    Great, thank you I think she could do the yogurt and berries. Do you eat full fat Greek yogurt then?

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    -bacon
    -smoothie (green smoothie, fruit smoothie. Etc)
    -fruit
    -spiced nuts
    -avocado
    -sweet potato hash.
    -you could always vary the type of eggs served: shashuska, Italian baked eggs with Parmesan, poached over sliced beef, poached over smoked mozzarella, omelette, over easy, boiled, scrambled with ground beef cumin paprika and peppers, egg pizza, Etc.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    I make banana pancakes for breakfast with eggs and coconut flour. I also make smoothies with whey protein, fruit and coconut milk.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahemma14 View Post
    Great, thank you I think she could do the yogurt and berries. Do you eat full fat Greek yogurt then?
    I have a hard time finding full fat on a regular basis, so I often just eat 2%. If we have an open container of sour cream in the frig, I'll add a couple of tablespoons of that.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Full fat yogurt is hard for me to find as well. So I'll usually just stick to sour cream or heavy cream.

Tara ATX is offline Junior Member
    I totally feel your pain on this one. Both my parents are in early 60s, both diabetics on a variety of meds as well for hypertension, cholesterol, thyroid, etc... I have been suggesting (preaching! LOL) the paleo/primal approach for years now, but my mom is also very picky and super closed minded about trying new foods/recipes or ways to prepare foods. I think my dad would go for it (he even shocked me by reading Robb Wolf's entire book when he was first dx'd w/ diabetes!!) but since he doesn't, and won't, prepare the meals, he just get's what my mom makes. My mom has tried to make dietary changes in the SAD way of eating "good", but every time I visit and see how much bread and grain carbs they are eating it makes me cringe. She says they eat a lot of fish, but my dad will only eat it battered and fried. I suggest trying an almond crust fried in coconut oil instead and my mom just grosses out. When she asks or I just tell her about meals I've had recently, she also grosses out and thinks I eat "a bunch of weird food". I'm totally at a loss as what to do. I'm very impressed you've at least gotten your mom to attempt the change. Good luck!

Oh, and sorry, but I have no breakfast suggestions since my mom ALSO dislikes eggs and refuses to eat breakfast anyway. Haha!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    A couple of sausages, an egg and some mushrooms with spinach could be good.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

satrenidk is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think she could do the yogurt and berries.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast