Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picky Paleo eater needs some help page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Tara ATX View Post
    Oh, and sorry, but I have no breakfast suggestions since my mom ALSO dislikes eggs and refuses to eat breakfast anyway. Haha!
    She could do worse than not eating breakfast.

sarahemma14 is offline Junior Member
    Thank you everyone for your input! I defintely think she can do the yogurt and berries and I will see if she likes pancakes. I don't think she would eat sausage, at least not to start. She actually doesn't like a lot of meat, so this will be a challenge! I just want her to try it and see for herself that she will lose weight and feel better and then I believe that she will be willing to try new things

Quote Originally Posted by Tara ATX View Post
    I totally feel your pain on this one. Both my parents are in early 60s, both diabetics on a variety of meds as well for hypertension, cholesterol, thyroid, etc... I have been suggesting (preaching! LOL) the paleo/primal approach for years now, but my mom is also very picky and super closed minded about trying new foods/recipes or ways to prepare foods. I think my dad would go for it (he even shocked me by reading Robb Wolf's entire book when he was first dx'd w/ diabetes!!) but since he doesn't, and won't, prepare the meals, he just get's what my mom makes. My mom has tried to make dietary changes in the SAD way of eating "good", but every time I visit and see how much bread and grain carbs they are eating it makes me cringe. She says they eat a lot of fish, but my dad will only eat it battered and fried. I suggest trying an almond crust fried in coconut oil instead and my mom just grosses out. When she asks or I just tell her about meals I've had recently, she also grosses out and thinks I eat "a bunch of weird food". I'm totally at a loss as what to do. I'm very impressed you've at least gotten your mom to attempt the change. Good luck!

Oh, and sorry, but I have no breakfast suggestions since my mom ALSO dislikes eggs and refuses to eat breakfast anyway. Haha!
    This is exactly my Mum too! I have been talking about her trying Paleo for awhile now. I think the only reason she is willing to try it is because I spun it to her as a weight loss tool and she is at a standstill with her weightloss. I keep trying to explain to her thats because she thinks she is eating well when she eats cheerios and oatmeal. But then she is hungry an hour later so then she snacks all day because she is never really full. I think if you just keep on your parents, hopefully they will see one day! Or try to get them to make small changes at a time, I thought about doing that too. Good luck to you too!

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    I was going to suggest chicken legs, or some nice salmon, but you said she is not much of a meat eater. How about cottage cheese? I would steer away from paleo baking because if her goal is to lose weight, those can counteract the effort.

Baked sweet potato with some coconut oil?

I used to be VERY picky about eggs. I would only eat them when they were so hard cooked they would bounce back at you when you threw them at a wall. Break the yolk and cook all the way through. About 8 months into primal, I way eyeing my DH's over medium eggs and said "I want some like that." I had not eaten runny yolks since I was about 6. Now I love them! So bit by bit her tastes may change. Breakfast is hard because many people get stuck in the 'sweet' version of breakfast.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    I'm having issues with Breakfast as well... many people suggested to eat leftovers from dinner... I have a difficult stomach and I really don't know if I can do that but I'll try with light dinner... coconut flower pancakes are the ones I would like to try as well. There are also recipes for muffins around...

APPLEGIRL is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like there is more resistance than desire to change. You can lead a horse to water.......
    Make some suggestions, buy her The Primal Blueprint, send her to some web pages. If she's unwilling to even invest several hours to work out some of her own problems, she's not willing or ready to go down this path. You cannot babysit her into compliance. It has to come from within.

I'm on the flip side. I'm the 54 year old mom, trying to get my young sons onboard. Hubby is just about there, and my sons are used to eating real food, but you know what happens once they're not eating from mom's table.... yikes. So, I point them in the right direction, offer them the books, etc. Then they have to decide.

I also agree, skipping breakfast wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    I either eat nothing, coffee or tea about half the mornings but when I am hungry I usually eat a cheese stick. That and coffee keeps me full till lunch.

I like eggs fine but couldn't eat them every day either!

fifer is offline Senior Member
    Tinned fish? Parmesan or similar hard cheese? Berries with clotted cream?

What is it she dislikes about eggs? Are just yolks more palatable than whole eggs?

photocat is offline Member
    When I was on the SAD, I wasn't much for "breakfast" foods (i.e. eggs) either. I like them more now but not super crazy about them. I have no time to cook in the morning before work and I usually get a hard boiled egg on my big ass salad for lunch .... so protein whey shake for me, every morning. Quick and easy.

I use homemade almond milk (just raw almonds, water, and a bit of vanilla in my Vitamix -- makes enough for 3 or 4 days) a couple ounces of heavy cream, and chocolate whey powder (grass fed of course). I generally, but not always, snack on a bit cheddar cheese or a few nuts (almonds or macadamia) a couple hours later. Typical work day morning.

Quote Originally Posted by APPLEGIRL View Post
    It sounds like there is more resistance than desire to change. You can lead a horse to water.......
    Make some suggestions, buy her The Primal Blueprint, send her to some web pages. If she's unwilling to even invest several hours to work out some of her own problems, she's not willing or ready to go down this path. You cannot babysit her into compliance. It has to come from within.

I also agree, skipping breakfast wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

I agree, I can't babysit her, however she is my mother and I want her to be around a very long time so I can continue to offer my advice until she tries it. I have sent her some webpages, but I think she is someone that won't get into it until she tries it and it works for her. So I am happy that she is now willing to try it.

She also can't be skipping breakfast right now as she is diabetic and would probably pass out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast