Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Perfect Ketosis Diet page 2

Paleo0731 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    are there any mct that do not involve coconut oil or palm oil?

Butter contains medium chain fatty acids.

imp
    imp is offline Member
    Hmm so these medium chain fatty acids actually makes glucose levels balance and not cause insulin spike?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Hmm so these medium chain fatty acids actually makes glucose levels balance and not cause insulin spike?
    I guess fats never cause insulin spike as fats have another metabolic pathway (lymphatic system, or am I confused ?)

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    The Islets of Langerhans in your pancreas react to rising blood glucose concentrations by secreting insulin. Insulin acts to make muscles and fat cells suck the glucose out of your bloodstream and into muscle and fat tissue (simplified but more or less accurate.) Eat carbos, they turn to glucose and get absorbed, make insulin.

I don't believe the pancreas reacts to fatty acids of any length (short, medium, or long) to make insulin.

Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) seem to go straight to ketones via a different path than long chain triglycerides so MCT can give you a "ketosis kick."

If you want to look at a well formulated ketogenic diet, try "The New Atkins for a New You," the induction phase. In summary, protein at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the portion is about the size of the palm of your hand. No sugar. No starchy vegies. No fruit to start with. Green leafy vegies, broccoli, summer squash (no winter squash, too many carbs.) There are a LOT of vegetables that are just fine. Fat is fine as long as it's not trans fats (anything that says "partially hydrogenated" on the label is out.) Saturated fat does not seem to do you any harm unless you combine it with a lot of carbohydrates.

As you learn how your body reacts, you might add back in some berries like blue, black, straw, raspberries. Maybe an ounce of nuts. Some of us can't stay in ketosis with 30 gm/day of carbs, some can do 70 gm/day. The only way you find out is experiementing on yourself.

Doc Jim
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

Kris T is offline Senior Member
    But I still am struggling with understanding HOW you know you are in ketosis. Is it the smell of breath?? Do you actually feel it, or just going by the diet?

I have had a strange 'smell' to me for the last few weeks and I was told it could be ketosis. I am hoping so. No grains, no processed foods, no sugar for 3 weeks. No dairy for 9 days.

Everything I eat is fresh and not packaged. GF as much as I can. I put together my own spices even, so no preservatives at all of any kind.

Hoping to be in ketosis for a while and get some weight off and body cleaned out. Just not sure if I am or not....
    44 F 5'5
    SW 205.4
    CW 180.4
    GW 150

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I think you are eating like a saint & you are doing your body good. The rest just cannot be guaranteed or predicted.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

skotcharu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris T View Post
    But I still am struggling with understanding HOW you know you are in ketosis. Is it the smell of breath?? Do you actually feel it, or just going by the diet?

I have had a strange 'smell' to me for the last few weeks and I was told it could be ketosis. I am hoping so. No grains, no processed foods, no sugar for 3 weeks. No dairy for 9 days.

Everything I eat is fresh and not packaged. GF as much as I can. I put together my own spices even, so no preservatives at all of any kind.

Hoping to be in ketosis for a while and get some weight off and body cleaned out. Just not sure if I am or not....
    Ketone Strips

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skotcharu View Post
    Those things are horribly inaccurate.

They measure the amount of ketones in your urine. Those are the excess ketones that your body can't use for energy. But of you get truly keto-adapted, very few ketones should be spilling out into your urine because your body will learn to use the majority of them for energy BEFORE they become waste products, which of course, to someone pursuing ketosis, is a good thing. But this would make the test strip show little or no ketones. Some people wonder why they appear to be in deep ketosis for a week or so, then, don't change a thing, but the ketone strip stops showing anything and they think they're no longer in it.

A blood test might be a better way to tell if you're in ketosis since that's where the ketones go to be delivered to the parts of the body they are needed before they are used.
    Last edited by Drumroll; 09-10-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12